Beware Renting Motorbikes In Chiangmai

john29

Hi Ozz1, Thanks for a better report on what transpired at the Central Station

I am with you about not signing blank forms or forms in Thai that you cannot read. The Tourist Police have some farange volunteers who can help you through this. They can read and speak Thai and understand the culture. You need a "go" between who can advise you and your friend. We all have to learn the Thai Way :D of doing things, sometimes the hard way.You made a good effort for your friend and I admire that. Chok Dee

Where did you get that information cmd? The majority of foreign Thai Police volunteers can barely say hello and thank you in Thai let alone act as interpreters. Most of them are wannabees and like to prance around in their little blue overalls with lots of badges and say, "Hey, look at me." Most are kite fliers in my opinion.

:)

I saw this coming, the annual cheap shot at the volunteers who give their time to the Chiang Mai community from people who have nothing better to do than sit at their computers and toss out negative comments about people they know nothing about. It is getting boring! Get a life !! As you say it is your " opinion" we all know what that means :-) :D

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

agreed... it's this sort of blatant greed and disrespect which has put me off thailand. just happens too often there.

Really?? I have never been shown any disrespect such as that.

I am a firm believer that it is your own behaviour and respect which dictates how people will treat you.

When looking at it like that, it is not hard to see why some people seem to have all these problems.

agreed... it's this sort of blatant greed and disrespect which has put me off thailand. just happens too often there.

Really?? I have never been shown any disrespect such as that.

I am a firm believer that it is your own behaviour and respect which dictates how people will treat you.

When looking at it like that, it is not hard to see why some people seem to have all these problems.

While I generally agree with you, there are nasty people out there who treat you poorly despite how you act.

Hi Ozz1, Thanks for a better report on what transpired at the Central Station

I am with you about not signing blank forms or forms in Thai that you cannot read. The Tourist Police have some farange volunteers who can help you through this. They can read and speak Thai and understand the culture. You need a "go" between who can advise you and your friend. We all have to learn the Thai Way :D of doing things, sometimes the hard way.You made a good effort for your friend and I admire that. Chok Dee

Where did you get that information cmd? The majority of foreign Thai Police volunteers can barely say hello and thank you in Thai let alone act as interpreters. Most of them are wannabees and like to prance around in their little blue overalls with lots of badges and say, "Hey, look at me." Most are kite fliers in my opinion.

:)

I saw this coming, the annual cheap shot at the volunteers who give their time to the Chiang Mai community from people who have nothing better to do than sit at their computers and toss out negative comments about people they know nothing about. It is getting boring! Get a life !! As you say it is your " opinion" we all know what that means :-) :D

BB has got a life mate, and knows a lot about the kite fliers in blue overalls. Also knows a lot about Thailand and Thai culture but never entertained the thought of joining the volunteer pseudo wannabee police. Besides that there's probably not a pair of blue overalls in all of Thailand that would fit.

So how many of these fTPv's do you know who are fluent in Thai, written and oral? Maybe 1 in 20? I doubt it. You stated in your earlier post that they can act as "go" betweens. Maybe you are correct there in that if you are having trouble ordering some noodles they may be able to help you.

Once again, this is my opinion and obviously you know what that means. sHa_yes2.gif

No intention to offend, but, Blinky Bill was a real policeman at one point in time and is a most respected member of the expat community in Chiang Mai. His opinion should not be taken lightly. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

nil

Brutally handsome edit there, jil. :)

Re-edit :

Ulyssus G. is a most respected member of the expat community in Chiang Mai, his opinion should not be taken lightly and he is brutally handsome.

. . . Most of them are wannabees and like to prance around in their little blue overalls with lots of badges and say, "Hey, look at me." . . .

Like law enforcers the world over, eh? :)

We switched from blue to black numerous years ago.. instead of "Hey, look at me" we found out the snipers couldn't see us as well.

Sometimes it's better not to be seen. ( and I wasn't a volunteer )

This happened to me a few years back, and I had to pay the full 46,000 Bath for the bike. We sat together me, my friend, the rental guy, and the police at the police station. They rental guy looked very sad, and the police told us this was gangs from Laos stealing bikes in Chiang Mai. There was no insurance covering theft, so we had to pay out. All we thought of was to get our passports back. Maybe it was a scam, maybe not..

Btw, they rental guy let us keep the bike keys, as he said he didn't need it. So i kept it as an expensive souvenir...

Edited by mortenaa

Btw, they rental guy let us keep the bike keys, as he said he didn't need it. So i kept it as an expensive souvenir...

When our bikes were nicked, we went to the Land Transport Office with the police reports to cancel the tax. That way, if they get stopped at a roadside check in the future with no tax, there's a chance that they will get ID'd as stolen bikes.

Theoretically at least, after the theft has been registered with the police & LTO, you could ask for the reg doc as you have effectively bought the bike. That way, if the bike was to show up again, the shop would have to contact you for the book and you could get a refund. Theoretically, at least. :)

Cheers,

Pikey.

welcome to SE Asia :-)

1) True ... never leave your passport

2) And make sure insurance is 100% Not sure why anyone would rent with 50% insurance... it is pretty obvious of the scam potential. Insurance for the rental company is the same... insurance companies DO NOT offer 50% coverage by the way.

3) Even if the bike is stolen and you are required to pay 50%... you DO NOT have to pay right away. They only scare you into thinking you have to pay to get the quick cash.

Get a lawyer and make the take you to court :-)

No intention to offend, but, Blinky Bill was a real policeman at one point in time and is a most respected member of the expat community in Chiang Mai. His opinion should not be taken lightly. :)

No offense taken, People who cast dispersions on folks they never met because of the cloths they wear is an indication of a character defect.

Pomposity comes to mind. The uniform of the volunteers is directed by

the Royal Thai Tourist Police Department. With regard to Thai language fluency, it is not a prerequisite that one must have. No need! The tourists come from Europe, Dutch,German,French and Canada, USA, China, Japan, etc. Most tourists do not speak or understand Thai. The volunteers are a buffer for them when they have a problem. The tourist has a countryman/woman who can assist them in dealing with their problem. Very simple. Enough said. Chok Dee.

Most are kite fliers in my opinion.

For newcomers to Thailand, "Kite fliers" comes from a Thai idiom and translates into something like "have a lot in common with Pee Wee Herman and David Carradine".

pee-wee-herman.jpg

Name calling is real adult. There are are a few names that can be said about some TV addict posters too. Chok Dee.

I have no axe to grind with you cmdream. I just felt that many new people would miss the kite flier reference. I'm sure that you and Blinky can iron this out easily. It is not all that big a deal.

Too right Ewe Gee. I'll meet cmd whenever he/she puts the kite away.

No intention to offend, but, Blinky Bill was a real policeman at one point in time and is a most respected member of the expat community in Chiang Mai. His opinion should not be taken lightly. :D

No offense taken, People who cast dispersions on folks they never met because of the cloths they wear is an indication of a character defect.

Pomposity comes to mind. The uniform of the volunteers is directed by

the Royal Thai Tourist Police Department. With regard to Thai language fluency, it is not a prerequisite that one must have. No need! The tourists come from Europe, Dutch,German,French and Canada, USA, China, Japan, etc. Most tourists do not speak or understand Thai. The volunteers are a buffer for them when they have a problem. The tourist has a countryman/woman who can assist them in dealing with their problem. Very simple. Enough said. Chok Dee.

Or more likely that they're taking the Michael, a common oversight by toffs and :) people.

If the volunteers are there to help, then great, but when they walk around acting tough they become an eyesore and nuisance.

But, yes, beware when renting bikes in CM and anywhere in Thailand.

This happens all over the world, a lot of people are saying things like "welcome to SE Asia" but these and lesser scams happened all the time in Cyprus a few years back, on the smaller islands they used to get a lot of more savvy customers who wouldn't dream of renting without proper insurance so what they would do is steal the mirrors which would need to be replaced for a rather over inflated price.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I have a question (sorry if there was smth like that here)

When you TAKE THE BIKE BACK to the place u'd hired it, what are u supposed to get except 1.000 B deposit?

Just get the deposit back, give the bike out, and give the contract back, nothing else? Cant they say ur still keeping the bike or stole it or smth?.. :)

• 1 month later...
This happened to me a few years back, and I had to pay the full 46,000 Bath for the bike. We sat together me, my friend, the rental guy, and the police at the police station. They rental guy looked very sad, and the police told us this was gangs from Laos stealing bikes in Chiang Mai. There was no insurance covering theft, so we had to pay out. All we thought of was to get our passports back. Maybe it was a scam, maybe not..

Speaking of which, are theft insurance easy to get on a motorbike? If so, can someone advise me on insurance companies that cover motorbike theft? Thanks.

Edited by rethaired

Speaking of which, are theft insurance easy to get on a motorbike? If so, can someone advise me on insurance companies that cover motorbike theft? Thanks.

I don't think you can get a motorcycle insured against accident damage in Thailand, and the theft insurance one can get only covers it for a percentage of the new cost and not the whole new value, (In the first year).

This percentage drops in the second year if theft insurance is renewed.

Saying that you can not get accident cover is not 100% accurate (Come to think of it) as i managed to find a company in Pattaya that would cover a new motorcycle i bought but the snag was it would be over 8000Bht which put me off