Uni Proposes Relocation Of Chiang Mai Airport

george

University proposes relocation of Chiang Mai Airport

CHIANG MAI: -- Academics from Chiang Mai University have warned that proposals to extend the existing runway at the Chiang Mai Airport will have too much of an impact on the local area, and have suggested that the airport is completely relocated within the next five years.

Under government plans to transform Chiang Mai into a regional aviation hub, Airports of Thailand Public Co., Ltd. plans to extend the runway by another 300 metres to the North.

This will bring the length of the runway up to 3,400 metres, allowing it to accommodate long-haul aircraft from Europe.

A company named Southeast Asia Technology is currently conducting an environmental impact assessment on the project.

But at a recent meeting between Chiang Mai University academics and the environmental assessment team, it was decided that the impact on the area would be enormous.

The extension of the runway would limit the area available for the adjacent university to construct new buildings in the future, while teachers at the university would be forced to interrupt their lessons due to the noise disturbance.

Other problems would include increased dust levels, and interruptions to medical and communications equipment from radio signals at the airport.

Doctors, pharmacists and medical researchers are particularly concerned that radio signals could lead to the malfunctioning of equipment requiring a high degree of accuracy, which could in turn compromise the well-being of patients.

Pharmacists have said that they would have to refrain from weighing out medicines each time an aircraft passed overhead.

Academics are also worried that the vibrations from the airport could damage the large number of ancient monuments in the vicinity.

Academics at the university have said that rather than extending the airport into the town, the airport should be removed right outside the city boundaries, despite the increased costs involved.

The university has submitted a proposal to Airports of Thailand Co., Ltd. to relocate the airport within five years, and has asked that university academics participate in all airport development projects.

--TNA 2005-02-12

Why not move the University outside of town.

Classic inverse condemnation.

If the University is going to build additional buildings right up to the existing runway, as the article suggests, won't the "horrors" occur anyway.

I am amazed by the people who buy houses under the flight path and then complain ad naseum about the noise of the overflights.

Time will tell how much political clout the University has with local authorities.

Why not move the University outside of town.

Classic inverse condemnation.

If the University is going to build additional buildings right up to the existing runway, as the article suggests, won't the "horrors" occur anyway.

I am amazed by the people who buy houses under the flight path and then complain ad naseum about the noise of the overflights.

Time will tell how much political clout the University has with local authorities.

I didn't get the impression that the university is planning on building right up to the existing runway. I assume that's impossible, anyway.

I agree with the university. With the increasing population, it's just not practical, or safe, to expand the airport further into living areas- living areas that where there before the airport, but for many years the airport traffic had little effect on the area with the smaller prop planes and minimal traffic...

That all ended some years ago... With plans now for Jumbo jets, they will be adding huge levels of pollutants to an area already encased in pollution with no place to escape except into our lungs and foodchain... And, the added noises should be considered when talking about education, I feel When I taught at CMU, I had to stop teaching whenever the fighter pilots were practicing touch-and-go landings. At times, it was quite disruptive to teaching. It is a negative impact now, and the plans mean it will only get worse.

There already is a huge area near Samkampheng that has been in the plans for becoming an airport. It's convenient to any area in the city, far fewer problems with local traffic flow than currently exits at the current airport location, and the pollutants can spread out and dissapate better in San Kampheng, hopefully.

There's no other choice that I can think of...

My fear is that the University doesn't have enough clout to force the Air Force tomove as well, thus the jet problem remains.

Ideally, the whole airport complex and all the planes move, they connect 121 to the terminus of the super highway at Central Airport Plaza and I can shorten my every ninety day trip to Immigration by ten minutes.

My fear is that the University doesn't have enough clout to force the Air Force tomove as well, thus the jet problem remains.

Ideally, the whole airport complex and all the planes move, they connect 121 to the terminus of the super highway at Central Airport Plaza and I can shorten my every ninety day trip to Immigration by ten minutes.

Yeah, it seems that the unwillingness for the AF to move or give up right of way has been a thorn in much of the road planning in the last 20 years. Originally, the Super Hiway was planned to go through there, too.

I don't think all the pressure is on the university, though. They've been saying the same thing for some years, and there's also been support in the government for moving out to SK.

I feel sure the move will happen, but who knows when. One of these days they're going to want to build another runway, but there won't be any space, so they'll have to expand somewhere else, anyway.

My interest was also piqued by the mention of the effects of the microwaves on the area. That's an issue I've never seen discussed anywhere before. I've read somewhere that being in close proximity to these things can cook you like a chicken in a microwave oven... :o:D

Edited by Ajarn

You'd have to be pretty darn close to a radar, even a military radar, to be cooked. Most of the energy is pumped in a specific direction- usually up and out from the radar. There is, however, significant leakage which can result in higher exposure to the microwaves. The long term risks of low-level exposure are currently unknown- but we are conducting one of the biggest uncontrolled experiments ever in this worldwide in the form of mobile phone networks and personal mobile phone usage. In 10-20 years or so, we'll find out if it's an increased cancer risk or not (I'm betting on yes). In the meantime, low-level exposure puts those with pacemakers and certain other med. equipment at risk. At a slightly higher level of exposure, just a few milliwatts/m^2, long term exposure to microwaves can start to fuse contact lenses to the cornea. However, it's unlikely this level of exposure would prevail unless you were *very* close to the radar.

"Steven"

This will bring the length of the runway up to 3,400 metres, allowing it to accommodate long-haul aircraft from Europe.

I still question how much long haul traffic will be coming to Chiang Mai directly from Europe.

Well, if they don't get a better handle on the air pollution around here, I would assume it will begin affecting tourism big-time. BTW, I read a news report claiming some success in solving the pollution problem here. How they can have the cajones to state such nonsense I just don't know....

http://www.chiangmai-mail.com/current/news.shtml#hd10

A budget of 90 million baht has been allocated by the Department of Pollution Control for Chiang Mai to tackle its air and noise pollution crisis, said Prinya Parnthong, Chiang Mai Deputy Governor.

n11-121.jpg

A common sight in Chiang Mai

The severity of Chiang Mai’s air pollution is reputedly reduced as a result of campaigns and strict control on sources of air pollution. Air quality measurements taken indicate minute dust particles at approximately 60-80 micrograms, lower than the danger level of 120 microgram.

The decrease is due to a decrease in forest fires, prevention at construction sites and stricter checking of vehicle exhausts. The success is attributed to eight working groups.

Another budget of 9.43 million baht is allocated for the province to tackle agricultural crop and trash burning. The target was set to encourage at least 500 farmers in 2,000 rai of farmland to plough in unused crops and leaves instead of burning to help reduce air pollution.

You'd have to be pretty darn close to a radar, even a military radar, to be cooked.  Most of the energy is pumped in a specific direction- usually up and out from the radar.  There is, however, significant leakage which can result in higher exposure to the microwaves.  The long term risks of low-level exposure are currently unknown- but we are conducting one of the biggest uncontrolled experiments ever in this worldwide in the form of mobile phone networks and personal mobile phone usage.  In 10-20 years or so, we'll find out if it's an increased cancer risk or not (I'm betting on yes).  In the meantime, low-level exposure puts those with pacemakers and certain other med. equipment at risk.  At a slightly higher level of exposure, just a few milliwatts/m^2, long term exposure to microwaves can start to fuse contact lenses to the cornea.  However, it's unlikely this level of exposure would prevail unless you were *very* close to the radar.

"Steven"

I always felt regular glasses were the sensible choice, now I even have scientific evidence to back it up. Cheers Steven. :o

Does anyone know where the proposed location for the new airport is? San Kampaeng is a large area. We (sorry, my other half) now have some land in SK & I don't want to go thru the stress of having a house built, only to discover we're on the flight path, or even worse just at the end of the runway....

• 10 months later...

The topic of extending the runway at CNX is an old chestnut, which makes Christmas an appropriate time, for it to come up again. :D

The 31st December edition of Chiang Mai Mail reports on page 6 that Airports of Thailand still plans a 300m extension to the main runway, and 400m to the taxi-way, at the North end of the airport and on RTAF land.

This is to enable the airport "to accomodate large aircraft such as B747-400s , A340-500s and A340-600s, used for both domestic and international services during peak periods". :D

No timetable is given for the start or completion of the work. :D

Wonder whether the runway will be able to handle snow & ice conditions, with appropriate melt-water drainage channels, as in the new Bangkok airport ?

Meanwhile it is currently absolute he11 trying to park, while picking-up or greeting passengers, due to the terminal-extension building-work and general congestion. Part of the existing inadequate car-park is currently closed & screened-off. Worth avoiding if you can ! :o

"There already is a huge area near Samkampheng that has been in the plans for becoming an airport. It's convenient to any area in the city, far fewer problems with local traffic flow than currently exits at the current airport location, and the pollutants can spread out and dissapate better in San Kampheng, hopefully"

I thought this was already a done deal the way a friend of my wife was telling us, that's why my wife bought land out that way.

> I don't want to go thru the stress of having a house built,

> only to discover we're on the flight path, or even worse

> just at the end of the runway....

..or in the middle of it. :-) But at least then you get to sell the whole lot at a good price.

I like the airport in it's current location. I can go from getting out of bed to taking off in 45 minutes. :-) And you can check in, then get breakfast (or lunch, dinner as it may apply) at loads of places a short ride away, then return and walk on the plane and have them shut the door behind you and taxiing away just as you close your seatbelt. :o

> Ideally, the whole airport complex and all the planes move, they connect

> 121 to the terminus of the super highway at Central Airport Plaza and I

> can shorten my every ninety day trip to Immigration by ten minutes

Why not apply for a Wing 41 passage card? Then you get to use that road all the time. I think it costs just 50 baht for a year. Just requires a copy of your driver's license and passport, and fill in a form.

It gives you a good extra option when traffic is heavy around Suthep road and the moat. (Though I use it less now that the Canal Road allows driving at near warp speed. :D

Why not apply for a Wing 41 passage card? Then you get to use that road all the time. I think it costs just 50 baht for a year. Just requires a copy of your driver's license and passport, and fill in a form.

Do you have to pay for it now? Applied two months ago and didn't have to pay a brass farthing.

Edited by Norman d'Plume

"There already is a huge area near Samkampheng that has been in the plans for becoming an airport. It's convenient to any area in the city, far fewer problems with local traffic flow than currently exits at the current airport location, and the pollutants can spread out and dissapate better in San Kampheng, hopefully"

I thought this was already a done deal the way a friend of my wife was telling us, that's why my wife bought land out that way.

If it is a done-deal , why are they currently working so hard and spending so much money , to expand the existing terminal-building ?

I know, silly question, TiT :o