Sang Thip

crudy21

Whatever happened to Sang Thip? I know there is Sang Som and Mekhong but a number of years ago it was all Sang Thip in the bars and clubs.

Also is Sang Som really rum as it tates virtually the same as the other two and they were/are both whiskies?

Thanks.

Whatever happened to Sang Thip? I know there is Sang Som and Mekhong but a number of years ago it was all Sang Thip in the bars and clubs.

Also is Sang Som really rum as it tates virtually the same as the other two and they were/are both whiskies?

Thanks.

Not sure about Sang Thip, but Mekhong is actually rum not whiskey, just like Sangsom. They're both made from sugar cane.

Thanks.

Sang Thip was surely banned as it was the cause of many a ruinous night in BKK :)

i cannot begin to say what me and my mates used to do wired up on sang thip it seemed to have a bit more of kick than the rums/whiskies now.....surely there were class A substances in there that have since been banned!

Who cares? cant really say i would be bothered at all if i ever came accross any ever again

Really helpfull reply there mate, thanks!

wasnt having a pop mate... never seen it for ages, cant say i ever looked out for it though..

Is that better?

Well its better but still not very helpfull, appology accepted though.

Thanks.

Not sure about Sang Thip, but Mekhong is actually rum not whiskey, just like Sangsom. They're both made from sugar cane.

A Thai friend has been Googling in Thai, says that Sang Thip was originally called Sang Som. Then after Sang Thip they changed the name back to it's original name Sang Som.

Sang Som (Sang Thip) is registered as 'Rum' (Thai Rum) in terms of official alcohol type categories.

According to the alcohol licensing board (or what ever you call it in English) a Thai Rum is made out of sugarcane - so there you have it. It's actually a Thai Rum and not actual Rum. Maekhong Whiskey is also categorized as a Rum.

Edited by ThaiEye

I believe that when I first came here they were just beginning to fade out Sang Thip. Other than the name I seem to recall the bottles were identical and you could get given either one in a bar depending on what they had. They are both actually rum, but just called 'whisky' as the Thai word 'lao' (really meaning liquor in general) is often translated as such as it is the same word Thais would use if they were drinking whisky together.

I believe that when I first came here they were just beginning to fade out Sang Thip. Other than the name I seem to recall the bottles were identical and you could get given either one in a bar depending on what they had. They are both actually rum, but just called 'whisky' as the Thai word 'lao' (really meaning liquor in general) is often translated as such as it is the same word Thais would use if they were drinking whisky together.

Sang Thip had a dark label if i remember correctly, Sang Som's is white.

Sang Thip, Sang Som'

I can't remember which way round, but one used to state that is was aged for 5 years on the label, the other didn't.

I'm surprised that Maekhong is a rum. I always thought that it was Lao Khow (made from rice) flavoured with herbs/spices.

Edited by loong