Nee Na นี่นา

katana

Hi,

Does anyone know what the particle NEE NA นี่นา means that you sometimes see at the end of a sentence? I have asked some Thais, and got varying answers. I'm not sure if this is because it's a difficult word to explain, or, it has several meanings, depending on the context.

Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

Hi,

Does anyone know what the particle NEE NA นี่นา means that you sometimes see at the end of a sentence? I have asked some Thais, and got varying answers. I'm not sure if  this is because it's a difficult word to explain, or, it has several meanings, depending on the context.

Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

Are you sure about the spelling? I have never heard that expression before if spelt as suggested.

If you are not sure about the spelling, then I guess it could be นี่นะ and the meaning depends on the rest of the sentence.

"nii" at the end of a clause refers back to the entire clause preceding it, and "na" is just a particle without a clearcut meaning, but mostly for seeking approval or softening down the utterance.

There is one special usage with นี่นะ that springs to mind, as in:

ฝรั่งนี่นะ - Oh, these farang! (Often jokingly.)

Maybe this is similar to the one you have heard. Replace ฝรั่ง with a name and you will have "Oh, this [name]!".

In neutral connotations, "นี่นะ" just means "this" (and the "na" is optional since it is just a particle).

The particle นี่นา (not นี่นะ) used for emphasizing the rest on the sentence.

E.g. โอ๊ะ! ฝรั่งนี่นา (นึกว่าคนไทย) ทำไมพูดภาษาไทยเก่งจัง :o

You can use only "นี่" in the same meaning. E.g. โอ๊ะ! ฝรั่งนี่ (นึกว่าคนไทย) ทำไมพูดภาษาไทยเก่งจัง . Actually "นี่" is the particle while "นา" soften the accent.

นะ is another particle which in the mean of implore, coerce or to emphasize.

E.g. อยู่ต่อนะ (to implore someone to stay with you longer), ห้ามไปนะ(to coerce someone don't leave) , ไปละนะ(to emphasize that you are going to leave)

Edited by yoot

Found this at http://www.thai-language.com/id/134552

นะ

naH

word added to the end of a sentence to soften it, make it polite, indicate pleading, disagreement, ordering, surprise or emphasis

น่ะ

naF

[word added to the end of a sentence to soften it, emphasize, or make it polite, a milder version of นะ ]

น่า

naaF

[a particle related to น่ะ which adds a persuasive quality to the end of a sentence]

เป็นความผิดของเธอเพราะเธอทำนี่นา

bpenM khwaamM phitL khaawngR thuuhrM phrawH thuuhrM thahmM neeF naaM

"It’s your fault because you did it!"

Found this at http://www.thai-language.com/id/134552

นะ

naH

word added to the end of a sentence to soften it, make it polite, indicate pleading, disagreement, ordering, surprise or emphasis

น่ะ

naF

[word added to the end of a sentence to soften it, emphasize, or make it polite, a milder version of นะ ]

น่า

naaF

[a particle related to น่ะ which adds a persuasive quality to the end of a sentence]

เป็นความผิดของเธอเพราะเธอทำนี่นา

bpenM khwaamM phitL khaawngR thuuhrM phrawH thuuhrM thahmM neeF naaM

"It’s your fault because you did it!"

So it adds emphasis to a statement....

I Think it's a particle for strong emphasis....

really?

my wife used this word/ phrase recently and when I asked its meaning - she said it is something like "###### it " in english.... or is that another transliteration? sorry I can't read THai yet.

Maybe she just meant "###### it" as in "###### it (just let it go), I cant explain it anyway"? :-)

interesting forum and topic!

I want to learn Thai for speaking.

can anyone tell me - is it true that chalad means slever in Thai language? some my friend told me this. that's why I chose this nickname.

thanks

Welcome to the forum! :-)

It means "clever, smart" and is spelt ฉลาด in Thai.

He's taking the mick, extracting the urine-'slever', 'some my friend'

can anyone tell me - is it true that chalad means slever in Thai language? some my friend told me this. that's why I chose this nickname.

thanks

Yes, I thought that might be the case too. Then again I wasnt sure, so figured it would be better to err on the side of politeness.

thanks

Yes, I thought that might be the case too. Then again I wasnt sure, so figured it would be better to err on the side of politeness.

M.S. you are truly a gentleman, I notice Bina was asking about Snowleopard and wondering what had happened to his avalanche of contributions. Did he get fed up when the Thai native speakers arrived on the scene? I notice he stills clicks on at times but rarely contributes, I guess February is still hibernation time.

bannork