Why I'll Be Purchasing Linux Paid Support

livinthailandos

I"m back and guess what I now have to install the entire Operating System again. I had posted about a desktop monitor labtop issues, had some help but instead of fixing monitor issue I can't use my monitor replacement at all. I guess regardless of how things go me and linux are always going to have issues. Well i'm off need about 2 hours to reinstall everything again. So much for messing with the xorg.conf file. I'll add that to the list of things not to touch

Linux fanatics are gaining ground on the Apple everything fanatics. Here in Thailand, Toyota lovers are a close third.

Linux has the potential to be a complete system if everyone would pull together. But NO! There are hundreds, maybe thousands of different distros and until they can be consolidated, they will never catch Windows. I myself have probably a dozen different distros and none of them come close to being a complete system. I am firmly in the plug, play and go camp. That means Windows for me.

Umm.....

I have only two distros, Ubuntu 8.04 and Ubuntu 9.04 - and both are very much complete systems right after installation, without driver hunting or needing to add anything extra to start working. They open .doc, .xls and even .pdf files right out of the box, let me surf the web and get my e-mail downloaded, let me chat with friends on MSN, Yahoo, ICQ and whatnot and what is still missing is installed from one single place with a few clicks, no install CD's, no registration numbers, no activation and no headaches.

And it costs - nothing, apart from a few hours of download time (depending on internet speed) and one blank CD.

Sorry i am no Linux fanatic but a happy user, i still use Windows at work because i hav to and it's a good system, too, but compared to Linux i have to say - Windows comes in second.

Best regards.....

Thanh

I found a genuine bug in the latest Ubuntu - it can't get a list of shares from networked windows machine. There's something wrong with underlying program in Gnome that results in connection time out.

The solution - type the server address in Firefox, get a list of shares, then open them with file managers written for KDE. In my case Dolphin. Don't think I need to go through Firefox routine every time, the share can be mounted in Dolphin and used like a bookmark.

Finally I got (almost) trouble free Linux, and my Win7 just started playing up with wifi driver.

So much for messing with the xorg.conf file. I'll add that to the list of things not to touch

You *did* make a backup of the file before messing with it right?

Use the Ubuntu live CD to boot, mount the drive and replace the damaged xorg.conf with the backup.

Amen Brother - I have 13 - ya have to wonder why the Linux Yonks cannot get in a room for a couple hours and

get it sorted out?!! Too much ego, methinks. MM08 was wonderful. 5 min install without the 357

paint/sound/viewer/doc programs - each!!

BR>Jack

Linux has the potential to be a complete system if everyone would pull together. But NO! There are hundreds, maybe thousands of different distros and until they can be consolidated, they will never catch Windows. I myself have probably a dozen different distros and none of them come close to being a complete system

Amen Brother - I have 13 - ya have to wonder why the Linux Yonks cannot get in a room for a couple hours and

get it sorted out?!! Too much ego, methinks. MM08 was wonderful. 5 min install without the 357

paint/sound/viewer/doc programs - each!!

BR>Jack

Linux has the potential to be a complete system if everyone would pull together. But NO! There are hundreds, maybe thousands of different distros and until they can be consolidated, they will never catch Windows. I myself have probably a dozen different distros and none of them come close to being a complete system

Linux (well GNU/Linux) already *is* a complete system; far more complete than most Windows systems actually. Almost every distro has the ability to function as a desktop, a server, a headless box, all from the get go. What would you consider is missing to make a Linux distro less than a "complete system"?

Most distros come with a myriad of applications that can be removed if not required and also with another myriad of ways to install new ones. My distro of choice gives me the option to install different package sets at install time and also a selection of kernels built to offer different functionality for different requirements. The kernels are vanilla, so if I want to install other FOSS software afterwards it's just a matter of compiling and making them from source if a binary isn't available.

The point is that they don't want to "catch Windows". They don't care; use Windows if it works for your requirements, use an alternative if Windows doesn't fit the bill, or if the overheads involved become too annoying.

For me it is Slackware and OS X, they work together fine. Each does its job and I end up with a happy experience.

I have been to many different sites that had instructions how to make my CAT EVDO modem work. I have also had help from this forum but have not been successful. It works fine with Windows.

I also use several programs that do NOT work with Linux. I have Ubuntu 9.04 on a spare hard drive and it is the best distro I have tried. How can you call a distro complete when it won't run the programs I use. Even downloading Linux programs is a complicated procedure. Why should I learn to "program" Linux when Windows does everything I want?

ADDED - If all the ego driven distros would work together, more companies would be willing to make their programs compatible with whichever Linux becomes the standard. I don't blame the software companies for not trying to make their programs compatible.

Edited by Gary A

Hmm.

Actually pretty much all "Linux software" works on every Linux distro - the only difference is the way they are installed, which could be straight from a repository or just like in Windows with "click and go" or, most work intensive but ALWAYS working on EVERY distro, by compiling from source. Ha, Windows does NOT offer that - there is a lot of software for newer Windows that won't work on older Windows and vice-versa.

A distro is complete even if it does not run the programs you want it to run. Because Windows programs won't run natively in Linux - you also can't complain that your (petrol) Beemer won't run on Diesel just because you insist on filling Diesel because for some reason or other you prefer that. Many Windows programs can be made to run in Linux, there is an application named "Wine" which emulates a Windows-drive and you can install Windows proggies there, many work just as if it was Windows, right down to the clickable icon on the desktop. Have you ever tried that one..?

On the other hand, there is at least one Linux-equivalent for every Windows program out there. Yes you would have to learn how to use a different software, for example "Gimp" instead of "Photoshop". But they both do the same even if the way they work is somewhat different. Or "Open Office" instead of the Microsoft product, look and feel are slightly different but they do the same. Or "Kopete" instead of Live Messenger (and Kopete also supports Yahoo, AIM and several others).

Linux apps work even cross-desktop - as can be very easily experienced with Ubuntu where you find them all in the same repository (kind of "download.com built-in"). I mean apps from KDE working on a Gnome desktop, that functions just perfectly. You can even have both desktops installed entirely and chose upon boot which one you like today.

Best regards......

Thanh

I really don't want to get in a pissing contest, but why is it so difficult to get my CAT EVDO working with Linux? YES, I know it is simple! That's what some Linux fanatics will say. I hate to think I am that stupid, but I have NOT been able to get it to work. The only time I got it to work, all the settings were lost on reboot. Stupid or not, it is NOT simple. The bottom line is that it works fine with Windows.

Hi.

I am not using CAT EV-DO and i don't know their modem. However have you tried using "Ndiswrapper" and the Windows driver? It seems to be the "universal remedy" for wireless driver problems on laptops..... might help in your case as well..? Worth a try.......

If all else fails, use a hardware solution. That's what i did to get video output on the television - yes, my VGA card has TV-out however i could not get the two to function together, i.e. cloned - either the resolution was too big for the TV or to small for the monitor. Yes, that worked in Windows, too. So i got myself a little box that goes between the PC and the monitor, the TV connects to it, too, and no more headaches - perfect picture on both devices. The thingy cost me 7 USD on E-Bay, better than hours and hours of trying to get the driver to play the way i want it to play (and yes, if my television had a HDMI/VGA input it'd be no problem, but it hasn't!)

In your case you could get a router where you plug your CAT EVDO modem in and then via LAN cable to the computer - that method is foolproof. There are routers that support USB modems as well as PCMCIA ("air card") type modems.

Believe me, Linux has it's headaches - but so does Windows. I can, for example, take out my hard disk with Ubuntu on it, hook it up to your computer, turn it on and it will work, sound, graphic, network and all. Ever tried that with Windows..? I did, a gazillion times... it NEVER works. Changing mainboard almost inevitably means reinstalling Windows....

Best regards......

Thanh

Edited by Thanh-BKK

I really don't want to get in a pissing contest, but why is it so difficult to get my CAT EVDO working with Linux? YES, I know it is simple! That's what some Linux fanatics will say. I hate to think I am that stupid, but I have NOT been able to get it to work. The only time I got it to work, all the settings were lost on reboot. Stupid or not, it is NOT simple. The bottom line is that it works fine with Windows.

Why not start a new thread with some details? Sorry to say but just stating "it doesn't work" doesn't give people much to work with.

Give the model number etc of your device, distro details, what you have tried etc etc any relevant output from either dmesg or /var/log/messages when the device is plugged/unplugged.

This has nothing to do with being stupid (or not), it can be frustrating getting things to work in Linux when manufacturers don't provide support for the things they make but generally (unless a device is really new) somebody, somewhere will have figured out how to make it play nice with a Linux distro, and if it'll work with one likely it'll work with your chosen distro.

HTH

Thanh:

Back in the day it was relatively simple to switch Windows from one machine to another. Assuming that both were using a standard ATA interface, you'd simple 'downgrade' the driver for the hard-drive controller to a standard controller driver and switch it over. Not doing so resulted in a BSOD for Windows. Now-a-days the various controllers, espeically if you need to use a thumbdrive/floppy drive to install drivers for them during Window's installation, really bork that idea; unless you think ahead and install the drivers for the new computer's controller before downgrading the driver on the old computer (the *.dll and stuff should still be in the proper place and Windows should find them).

This is obviously much harder on Vista since they do a much broader 'digital fingerprint' of various components, but if the net's to be believed, you should be able to convince Microsoft fairly easily that your old computer took a crap....

Your suggestion about the router being used is actually a good one; I wonder how GaryA shares his CAT modem otherwise (NOBODY should have just one computer if they live with someone else!). I use the Cradlepoint MBR-1000.

However, your suggestion to use ndiswrapper is not correct. The CCU-680 is simply the Franklin CDU-680. Works well.

GaryA:

I've read through a bunch of Ubuntu forums and it seems that it doesn't work nice with that modem. Other distros do; specifically my beloved SuSE. Here's a series of steps that worked for me.

1. Checked to see the pre-insertion of the card status--I.E. don't plug the modem in and type the following into a terminal. This creates a baseline

lsusb

2. Plug in your card in and run the same thing again.

lsusb

3. Note the difference. I'm sorry, but I'm overseas so I can't tell you exactly what it will say, but it should have something like this in the list.

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 16d8:6803

4. Check to see if usbserial is loaded.

dmesg | grep usbserial

5. If it is working (should have two lines that each say something about usbcore:) you should be good. If nothing comes up, load your usbserial. Note that you have to get the ID from step 3 and modify the following command with your results.

sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x16d8 product=0x6803

6. Check to make sure it's loaded properly.

dmesg | grep usbserial

7. Run wvdial to find out where the modem's located. It should be at /dev/ttyUSB0.

sudo wvdialconf[code]

8. Now, and I don't know how necessary this is, but I did it, link the /dev/ttyUSB0 to your /dev/modem.
[code]sudo ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/modem

9. If you want to connect via the terminal, you must use wvdial. In fact, probably to get online and complete step 11, you'll have to. That involves editing your /etc/wvdial.conf file.

sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf

Remove any semicolons for the phone number and username/password and insert the correct information.

10. Dial out.

wvdial

11. Install KPP....Gnome dialer DOES NOT work!

sudo apt-get install kpp

12. Configure KPP with the phone number (#777) and username/password. Make sure you're connecting with /dev/modem.

13. You'll have to reload the usbserial module each time, unless you put the following in the startup. SuSE uses /etc/init.d/boot.local; I'm not sure, but I think that Ubuntu uses /etc/rc.local (Ubuntu gurus help me out!)

sudo gedit /etc/rc.local

Now insert the following code at the very bottom.

echo "Setting up Wireless Device"
/sbin/modprobe usbserial vendor=0x16d8 product=0x6803
/bin/ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/modem

Save and exit...that should allow the system to boot with your modem in the slot and configure it for you.

I took the liberty of using various Ubuntu terms througout (for instance us SuSE users would be using Kate), but this mini-guide should get you up and running.

And BTW, that allows you to mount the flash drive part of the modem also; not sure what good that does you, but the option is there.

jackdanielsesq

First don't kick your computer...we don't need to lose another JD to an infected broken toe! I use the net install for my SuSE installs; only get what I want.

For everyone else; no need to get all fancy with a back-up programme when there's good old "dd"!

Hi :)

Sorry off-topic reply.....

The problem with uninstalling repectively downgrading Windows' drivers is that a mainboard usually does not announce "i will die in 10 minutes, save your work now"... they usually do so with a BANG. And then you get the BSOD with the replacement board........ believe me, done it countless times.

Kind regards.....

Thanh

Why not start a new thread with some details? Sorry to say but just stating "it doesn't work" doesn't give people much to work with.

Give the model number etc of your device, distro details, what you have tried etc etc any relevant output from either dmesg or /var/log/messages when the device is plugged/unplugged.

This has nothing to do with being stupid (or not), it can be frustrating getting things to work in Linux when manufacturers don't provide support for the things they make but generally (unless a device is really new) somebody, somewhere will have figured out how to make it play nice with a Linux distro, and if it'll work with one likely it'll work with your chosen distro.

HTH

The main reason I am not willing to spend a lot MORE time trying to get EVDO to work is that Ubuntu and other distros do not do what I want. Even if EVDO did work well. I still couldn't use my Audible book subscription, Garmin Map Source or a couple of other programs I often use. Playing with Linux is kind of a love hate thing. I too, like many others love to hate MicroSoft. As far as Apple, I also hate all their proprietary stuff.

OP, of course its your choice, money, spend and enjoy, how will you pick your new Guru?

I would simple guest on, or join several tech forums. Free and a steep learning curve.

Pick a light, small, tight distro, one that can be re-installed in 5 min.

Once you stop having fun, quit. Way too many folks overthink stuff, like some of these posts

Bubba