Government Bonds

Generally, foreigner can buy Thai Government Bonds.

However, the acticle refers to Savings Bonds which can only be purchased by Thais and those with PR. The main difference is the Saving Bond have much lower minmum purchase level (I think 10,000 baht v 500,000 baht)

Bangkok Bank used to be the sole sell agent for Savings Bonds. Not sure if this is still the case.

• 2 weeks later...

These bonds are offered for sale at many commercial banks, rather than investment banks.

I went to TMB and two branches of Kasikorn bank today asking if I, as a foreigner, can buy these Thai government bonds. TMB said no, Thai citizens only. Kasikorn at Central World said sure I can buy them, but I should buy at a branch that opens early, because they sell out fast. I went to the Kasikorn branch on Sathorn near Rama IV, and was told they were available to Thai citizens only. She pointed to the words in her bond manual, so I think she is probably correct. It is often difficult to find the true bottom line about these things, though.

It is often difficult to find the true bottom line about these things, though.

Never was a truer word spoken. From what I have read in this and other TV threads (re: buying bonds), your average Thai bank staffer is just as clueless about foreigners buying bonds as they are about foreigners opening bank accounts.

Foreigners can buy Thai bonds - i have confirmed this from multiple sources* (and from higher up the food chain than tellers). If you want to buy some then persist until you encounter a staffer who knows the regulations and is willing to assist.

*the Thai Bond Market Association, the Asian Development Bank, and Siam Commercial Bank

Edited by chiangmaibruce

These bonds are offered for sale at many commercial banks, rather than investment banks.

I went to TMB and two branches of Kasikorn bank today asking if I, as a foreigner, can buy these Thai government bonds. TMB said no, Thai citizens only. Kasikorn at Central World said sure I can buy them, but I should buy at a branch that opens early, because they sell out fast. I went to the Kasikorn branch on Sathorn near Rama IV, and was told they were available to Thai citizens only. She pointed to the words in her bond manual, so I think she is probably correct. It is often difficult to find the true bottom line about these things, though.

Don't even border trying to buy it. I was at the bank at 7:30 queing for the door to open at 8:30. I was number 5 on the queue. It did not reach me, only 3 person got it. It turn out the bank staff key in the sales to their preferred big client before they open the door.

I was told that this is a common practice. Some how I suspect that the bank staff must get something out of this pref treatment. However I have no proof. But with the eco as it today, I don't blame the staff much.