Khao Yai / Pak Chong Living

peterzxr

My girlfriend and I are going to be relocating to Thailand from the UK shortly. She is an Isaan girl and comes from Pak Chong near the Khao Yai National Park. As I quite like the town and the area, we are currently thinking of setting up home there. However, I’m aware that I might just go stir crazy if I have to speak Pigeon English for the rest of my life and was just wondering if many expats live in or near that area at all. Any information regarding expat groups / associations in or around Khorat would also be appreciated. Thanks.

My girlfriend and I are going to be relocating to Thailand from the UK shortly. She is an Isaan girl and comes from Pak Chong near the Khao Yai National Park. As I quite like the town and the area, we are currently thinking of setting up home there. However, I’m aware that I might just go stir crazy if I have to speak Pigeon English for the rest of my life and was just wondering if many expats live in or near that area at all. Any information regarding expat groups / associations in or around Khorat would also be appreciated. Thanks.

I stayed there once at the Klong Sai resort(sic), next to Mission Hills. that was about 8 years ago and there were a few farangs in Pak Chong....would suggest that there would be a few more there now. I went to my ex's village in Buriram last year for the first time in 7 years and the amount of farangs had increased threefold.

Take a short trip there and check it out yourself if you are worried.

However, I’m aware that I might just go stir crazy if I have to speak Pigeon English for the rest of my life and was just wondering if many expats live in or near that area at all. Any information regarding expat groups / associations in or around Khorat would also be appreciated. Thanks.

This is a topic near and dear to me as well. I thought I had my wife talked into living in or near CM. I had done some research and ran across a website for an expat golf association in the area--perfect! But we ended up building near Pakchong as well since it is fairly close to her home village, but it's on resort property (Phupimarn )and surrounded by some nice golf courses. My wife's English is very good after working in the U.S. for 30 years, but hope I will eventually end up being part of a foursome of regular golf buddies.

Maybe we'll hook up someday! Unfortunately, my retirement date is still a few years out. :o

However, I’m aware that I might just go stir crazy if I have to speak Pigeon English for the rest of my life and was just wondering if many expats live in or near that area at all. Any information regarding expat groups / associations in or around Khorat would also be appreciated. Thanks.

This is a topic near and dear to me as well. I thought I had my wife talked into living in or near CM. I had done some research and ran across a website for an expat golf association in the area--perfect! But we ended up building near Pakchong as well since it is fairly close to her home village, but it's on resort property (Phupimarn )and surrounded by some nice golf courses. My wife's English is very good after working in the U.S. for 30 years, but hope I will eventually end up being part of a foursome of regular golf buddies.

Maybe we'll hook up someday! Unfortunately, my retirement date is still a few years out. :D

Thanks Dave, it's nice to know there might be some farangs in the area to have the odd beer / meal with from time to time. I don't play golf yet though, but I'm sure I'll have some spare time to learn!

Anyway, I would urge you to retire now. Why wait? I'm only 30 and I can't wait to move out there even if I have to work a bit in order to help pay the bills. :o

Thanks Dave, it's nice to know there might be some farangs in the area to have the odd beer / meal with from time to time. I don't play golf yet though, but I'm sure I'll have some spare time to learn!

Anyway, I would urge you to retire now. Why wait? I'm only 30 and I can't wait to move out there even if I have to work a bit in order to help pay the bills. :o

There's only one thing stopping me from boarding with my one-way ticket next week. I have a grand daughter who is more like the daughter I never had. Just can't cut that tie yet. But she'll be a teenager soon and that could change everything! :D:D

And don't worry about the no golf--beer on the 19th hole is always an option!!!!

There's only one thing stopping me from boarding with my one-way ticket next week. I have a grand daughter who is more like the daughter I never had. Just can't cut that tie yet. But she'll be a teenager soon and that could change everything! :D:D

And don't worry about the no golf--beer on the 19th hole is always an option!!!!

Hope to see you out there :D

• 4 months later...

Peter,

I'm new to the Forum and just saw your post today. I'm recently married to a Khao Yai/Pak Chong woman and we also plan to live there in the near future. We have also bought property just outside the main entrance to Khao Yai and I'm now looking for an architect and builder but so far haven't found one. Will be visiting Khao Yai in about 2 weeks so if you're around drop me a line and we can compare notes.

Last month, when I was back in the Isaan, I made a quick day's run up and back to Pak Chom from Nong Bua, with two former village headmen in company ("Two village headmen couldn't change my mind..." playing back over my mind's music box). They were particularly interested in buying wild meat there. I was more interested in the area itself, as I had missed it on several of my trips up that way in the past. My wife and I looked at some properties, but none along the Mekong.

Anyone have an idea of how much Mekong river view land is going for in the Pak Chom area? :o