Hi,

not sure if it is my browser, but reading the other thread, it mentions photos, yet I didn't see any! Can you repost the pic of your slow release organic fertiliser again please?

I don't have any experience of growing dates and probably not the space to do so at the moment. How much space do they need?

When the pound gives me a few more baht, I may consider buying a bit more land to donate to the family, so maybe in the future. please keep us posted of your successes.

Edited by loong
  • Like 1

Hi,

not sure if it is my browser, but reading the other thread, it mentions photos, yet I didn't see any! Can you repost the pic of your slow release organic fertiliser again please?

I don't have any experience of growing dates and probably not the space to do so at the moment. How much space do they need?

When the pound gives me a few more baht, I may consider buying a bit more land to donate to the family, so maybe in the future. please keep us posted of your successes.

Nothing wrong with your browser, I ran out of posting space; had to delete older pictures.

The date trees are beautiful , for successful pollination both male & female trees are needed ; with a radius of at least 5m for a mature tree, you need a lot of space !

Here's your picture

post-14625-1245507276_thumb.jpg

post-14625-1245507392_thumb.jpg

Edited by soidog2

Hi SD2

Look good !!

Reckon I might be able to find some space on the plot !! Did you bring them on from seed yourself ?? what's the ratio of males to females needed ?? any other special requirements ??

cheers J

Hi SD2

Look good !!

Reckon I might be able to find some space on the plot !! Did you bring them on from seed yourself ?? what's the ratio of males to females needed ?? any other special requirements ??

cheers J

Everything nice involves some compromise.

I grew them from seeds, unfortunately when planted from seeds most of the seedlings will be male.

You will not find out their gender until 5/6 years old when they start producing.

The needed male to female ratio is very low. The pollen from one male tree, can successfully be used on many female trees.

The good news, and this is how professionals propagate date trees, at about 5 years they start producing shoots that can eventually be removed and planted.

They are genetically identical to their parents so you can start collecting female shoots & remove excess males.

The male pollen is abundant , can be kept for a long time and smells rely nice, somewhat like fine baby powder !

You pollinate by hand , either by shaking the male stalk on the female, or tying it up downwind from the females, or by blowing it on ETC.

Quite a lot of fun , the end product is delicious.

Best

• 2 weeks later...

# 1 Start with a small plate of tree ripen dates, crunchy and slightly astringent if eaten now.

# 2 Bought this food dehydrator at “ http://www.verasu.com/ “ , it’s actually a glorified hair drier but works very well.

# 3 Put the dates in the drier; about 8 hour later you have soft , really sweet, yummy dates.

That little plate is at least 500 Baht at retail, the trees are quite full !

Thanks for your interest !

post-14625-1247144097_thumb.jpg

post-14625-1247144119_thumb.jpg

post-14625-1247144150_thumb.jpg

• Like 1