A View Of Thai Buddhism...

phetaroi

I rather like this from Gore Vidal...by far NOT my favorite author:

"What [such] Westerners take to be Thai apathy is the Buddhist non-confrontational approach to life, which is totally unlike that of those who worship the Judeo-Christian God, forever in dubious battle on the plains of Heaven with Lucifer. Because of this constant rage in heaven, we tend to mirror it here on Earth where it is taken for granted that nation must constantly fight nation, class class, family family....Although the Thai Buddhists have had their share of wars and incursions, crimes and alarums, they cope with needless pain in ways different from ours. The Buddha teaches that pain comes from desire. Therefore, to eliminate desire is to lessen the pain of existence. Obviously no one lives up to this system any more than anyone has ever lived up to the tenets of Judaism or Christianity, but a society based on the teachings of the Buddha is bound to be very different from one based upon a furious God dueling with a wily Devil....Sensibly, the Thais have tried to take what is necessary for them to survive without ever surrendering their ancient equilibrium, with its profound sense of a multitude of spirits in a world that is nothing but a series of illusions, on the order of a kaleidoscope. All things are brief as winks, they believe, and each travels in the little ferryboat toward (if the passenger is enlightened) a shining state of wholeness."

thanks for that. I had not seen that before.

Non-Confrontational? Isn't that the truth. Being an Ex Thai Restauranteur in Australia with an all Thai Female Staff it can be very frustrating. I had certain rules when it came to dealing with customers - such as no 'half serves', no ordering 'off the menu' and things like that. Customers being what they are would always try it on and many is the time I would catch the girls giving in to them without a whimper hoping that I would not notice and thereby avoiding any confrontation with the patron. it is just not Thai.

I have quit the business, personally, but my wife and family still have three restaurants in OZ and she has assumed my former role of 'Conflict Resolution'. 24 Years in farang land has hardened her up and she'll stand her ground these days. My Thai Step Daughter went to school in Aust and she is as hard as Chinese arithmetic.

Which is the same reason Thailand itself is evolving as we speak, as it becomes more westernised. You can see the changes already in the Thai youth.

Non-Confrontational? Isn't that the truth. Being an Ex Thai Restauranteur in Australia with an all Thai Female Staff it can be very frustrating. I had certain rules when it came to dealing with customers - such as no 'half serves', no ordering 'off the menu' and things like that. Customers being what they are would always try it on and many is the time I would catch the girls giving in to them without a whimper hoping that I would not notice and thereby avoiding any confrontation with the patron. it is just not Thai.

Just send them to train at a restaurant in Pattaya. They'll be abusing the customers in no time :)

Do you recall where Gore Vidal wrote this?

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best,

BillZ

Yes, it was in one of those coffee table photo books about Thailand...I think it was something along the lines of "Seven Days In The Kingdom".

Gore Vidal is a cool, old cat and a role model for left wing American expats. I think his best work is The City and the Pillar. I wasn't aware that he had been to Thailand. That was an excellent snippet; thanks for posting it.

Edited by Jingthing

Talk about an angry God. Check out what is happening in Iran now! Death to this, death to that, martyr this, martyr that ...

Hey that sounds like some good lyrics for a catchy tune, eh?

Edited by Jingthing

that was quite a norrow analysis of social behaviours.

Reason that the Thai are prepare to bend over and take whatever come their ways would be the way they were raised. The elders have to always be right. So are the people with high status, the noble and government officials. 20 years ago, someone had written the research that Thai were raised to support the on-going curruption. It was controversial paper for Thailand, but I found that it's true.

Most of the time, you will find that the Thai who were born with the high social status would have more strong characters and would not take no very easily. The people in the lower classes and peasants will always answer to these group and their masters. The youth will always obey the elders. cpofc, I bet your staff wouldn't have much problem with saying no to younger customers. But then again, compromise is a part of diplomacy. And in hospitality area, they always say customers are always right. Well, not that I entirely agreed with that.

Really, if people were taking the Buddha words seriously, they would not take everything for granted. Not everything has to be a victory nor a defeat.