U.s.a. Stuns Spain

mogoso

The US squad stops Spains record run of 15 victories and makes its first FIFA final in the Confederation Cup.

The score was 2-0 against a sluggish Spainish defense.

OK so its an abberation, and Spain, probably with justification, just took the game for granted. But a wins a win.

:):D

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Team US will win the Soccer Country Championships somewhere in Africa next Year & will dominate the World simply because their Offence & De-fence is obviously so much better than Spain's which means it's better than Liverpool's & Barcalona's & Royal Madrid too.

HA!!!!!

England's next. What a conglomeration of a-holes.

Says someone who's National Sport is called Football yet is played the majority with the Players Hands ??? :)

And anyway, your Post.....................

post-55211-1245900473.gif

It pains me that all the Bond characters and Lawrence of Arabia were British. Especially Daniel Craig. They must be mixed-European blood.

The English are a race? A race of what?

There must be another word for it. Guilty as charged.

How can you watch a sport that always winds up as a tie, and is decided by free kicks at the poor goalie? Boring is not the word, either. It can be painful. In Baseball (and, please, no comparisons with cricket. It looks difficult, but come on.) there is no time limit. They could play for two days. I understand the football players in Europe are athletes, and very good ones, but they should make the field shorter or something. It's almost like watching tennis.

and I'll take 1,000 baht that it's not closed by one of my posts.

Edited by Shotime

the english are a race of mongrels. no argument here. no patriotism here either, it's one of the most offensive traits of any person and the main reason i dislike international sport.

a few things - it's a 'draw' not a 'tie', football is the most beautiful sport in the world while also being the simplest and baseball only has no time limit so that there is more opportunity for lardarsed supporters to fit more footlong hotdogs in and advertisers to fit more commercials in.

It pains me that all the Bond characters and Lawrence of Arabia were British. Especially Daniel Craig. They must be mixed-European blood.

The English are a race? A race of what?

There must be another word for it. Guilty as charged.

How can you watch a sport that always winds up as a tie, and is decided by free kicks at the poor goalie? Boring is not the word, either. It can be painful. In Baseball (and, please, no comparisons with cricket. It looks difficult, but come on.) there is no time limit. They could play for two days. I understand the football players in Europe are athletes, and very good ones, but they should make the field shorter or something. It's almost like watching tennis.

and I'll take 1,000 baht that it's not closed by one of my posts.

Football is THE most popular Sport in the whole World & believe it or not, there is a World full of people outside the US of A..

Football is the fastest growing Sport in the US of A.

Baseball or Rounders, is a Game that when we were naughty at School, we had to play, instead of Football..

& Stevie, you're saying the English are a race of Mongrels, to an American ?????? Bwahahahahahaha :)

Maybe we are & i understand you have about the same amount of Patriotism as the Labour Goverment in the UK ( None at all ), but what on Earth does that make Americans then ??

HA!!!!!

England's next. What a conglomeration of a-holes.

I wasn't aware that England were competing in the Confederation Cup.

Despite which, I suppose when it comes down to it USA's sheer physicality stopped Spain playing -- they were particularly resiliant in defence, otherwise Spain could have scored three or four or more in the second half. That coupled with Spain's schoolboy errors in their own defence seems to herald a return to the Spain prior to 2008. Hardly a victory for football -- but you can only beat what's in front of you -- and despite their array of talent, Spain could not, however poor the opposition.

& Stevie, you're saying the English are a race of Mongrels, to an American ?????? Bwahahahahahaha :)

Maybe we are & i understand you have about the same amount of Patriotism as the Labour Goverment in the UK ( None at all ), but what on Earth does that make Americans then ??

was just making the point that the english aren't a race, really. they're a nationality. and americans are as such fourth and fifth generation mutts who aren't a race either.

my favourite patriotic american was a girl i met in chicago on st patrick's day who told me that her being from chicago made her 70% irish. i had to ask which bits, arms, legs and torso? and what's the other 30%? bizarre.

was just making the point that the english aren't a race, really. they're a nationality. and americans are as such fourth and fifth generation mutts who aren't a race either.

It depends on how you define race. Bur certainly the English aren't a separate entity from the British.

my favourite patriotic american was a girl i met in chicago on st patrick's day who told me that her being from chicago made her 70% irish. i had to ask which bits, arms, legs and torso? and what's the other 30%? bizarre.

I've been there on Paddy's day, they Painted the Chicago River Green.... :D

It depends on how you define race. Bur certainly the English aren't a separate entity from the British.

yeah they are. they're a separate nationaily from an individual nation. try telling a scot or a welshman that english and british is the same thing.

Yes, what a boring topic this turned out to be. The U.S.A. defense was outstanding against Spain. Jay Demerit and Onyewu played out of their shoes and everyone left it all on the field. Terrific win, I'm quite pleased. But if they see Brazil in the final, I'm betting they don't do it again. You never know, though, anything can happen in football. I hope they see S. Africa, though, so I can see Brazil vs. Spain in the 3rd place game, ha ha. That's the final most thought would happen, including me, and although I'm proud of the U.S. team for beating Spain I kind of wanted to see that match-up.

As for Spain's defending, Ramos seemed to not even notice there was a striker right next to him and was way too casual with the ball right in front of his own goal. And for the first Altidore simply out-muscled his Villareal teammate. The U.S. showed Ramos and Capdevila for what they really are -- good wingbacks that aren't that great at defending.

StevieH, that 70% Irish thing, that's just an Americanism, it's how we talk about our blood heritage. Like I say I'm 93.75% German/Norwegian/Scottish/English and 6.25% Chippewa Native American. Sounds stupid, but that's just how we say it, and it's just a silly thing we do.

StevieH, that 70% Irish thing, that's just an Americanism, it's how we talk about our blood heritage. Like I say I'm 93.75% German/Norwegian/Scottish/English and 6.25% Chippewa Native American. Sounds stupid, but that's just how we say it, and it's just a silly thing we do.

don't worry mate i was only messing. i just find it amusing that many americans are fiercely patriotic and then attempt to dissect their heritage rather than just saying 'i'm an american'.

I'm Canadian so bare with me...The USA have MUCH better athletes then the other teams. Now I said better

"athletes" not better soccer players. If they (USA) played soccer as kids like in South America or most of Europe

does in the streets starting a age 3 then they would dominate world soccer sorry to say.

I'm Canadian so bare with me...The USA have MUCH better athletes then the other teams. Now I said better

"athletes" not better soccer players. If they (USA) played soccer as kids like in South America or most of Europe

does in the streets starting a age 3 then they would dominate world soccer sorry to say.

the US won't really be good at football until they accept it as a game which isn't just played by schoolkids and women.

the US won't really be good at football until they accept it as a game which isn't just played by schoolkids and women.

And they won't accept it until the World Cup is called the World Series or World Super Bowl :)

the U.S. are good, just not great like Spain. But they showed they can compete, although we've had the odd win like this before.

Many have realized this, but the big 3 (basketball, American football, baseball) are firmly entrenched in American society so soccer will always have a hard time competing. Even hockey has been more popular and it's league been around much longer. But it has improved in popularity, and long may it continue. the MLS has improved drastically though still nowhere near as good as top European leagues (thought MLS teams can compete with Mexican teams now, which didn't use to be the case) I wish it was more popular because amazing athletes like Kobe Bryant and Lebron James could be playing futbol and helping us dominate the world. But it's just not the case, and I don't think it will ever be, but I think soccer will continue to get more popular. I think it's the case that probably the best athletes are playing American football and basketball, though. But hopefully as the sport grows in popularity in the U.S., some of those top athletes who would have chose basketball or American football or even baseball will choose soccer and stick with it. Just look at Altidore, he's only 19 and look at his physique, a born athlete who could have chose basketball or American football but didn't. We need more like him.

Edited by Jimjim

the U.S. are good, just not great like Spain. But they showed they can compete, although we've had the odd win like this before.

Many have realized this, but the big 3 (basketball, American football, baseball) are firmly entrenched in American society so soccer will always have a hard time competing. Even hockey has been more popular and it's league been around much longer. But it has improved in popularity, and long may it continue. the MLS has improved drastically though still nowhere near as good as top European leagues (thought MLS teams can compete with Mexican teams now, which didn't use to be the case) I wish it was more popular because amazing athletes like Kobe Bryant and Lebron James could be playing futbol and helping us dominate the world. But it's just not the case, and I don't think it will ever be, but I think soccer will continue to get more popular. I think it's the case that probably the best athletes are playing American football and basketball, though. But hopefully as the sport grows in popularity in the U.S., some of those top athletes who would have chose basketball or American football or even baseball will choose soccer and stick with it. Just look at Altidore, he's only 19 and look at his physique, a born athlete who could have chose basketball or American football but didn't. We need more like him.

with a population of 300m and the world's biggest economy they should be better than good at just about any sport they take on really jim.

altidore does look a decent prospect, but he could yet be the next freddy adu.

When i was in the States for a while, i remember helping out a Friend of mine who was Coaching the Kids in the Suburbs of Chicago..

The Girls would be fine, turn up on time & enoy it, being brought to Practice by their Dad's & Mum's..

The Boys would turn up late all of the time because of Basketball or Baseball Practice finishing late, & always being brought by their Mum's & their Mum's only..

Make of that that you will... :)