U.s.a. Stuns Spain

mogoso

I'm listening to the radio presently: 95.5 WPLJ New York.

Sports lineup (in order)

Yankees beat Braves

Shaq moving to Cleveland

LSU wins College Baseball title

Federer, Serena win at Wimbledon

US kickball team beats another team somewhere

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sports lineup (in order)

Yankees beat Braves

Shaq moving to Cleveland

On the bright side, Brazil will hammer them and the closet flag wavers can return to the general or Nascar forums. :)

Sports lineup (in order)

Yankees beat Braves

Shaq moving to Cleveland

On the bright side, Brazil will hammer them and the closet flag wavers can return to the general or Nascar forums. :)

works for me.

The topic title needs to be edited to read U.S.A.

The wretched refuse. It's called tenacity. They should have more fights in football. Broad Street Bullies types. Defense and intimidation.

I watched some of the world cup (someone said the super bowl and the world series), and aside from the draws, it was ok if you were drunk. However, it was, at times, beautiful to watch.

I just wanted to add that the great athletes go where the money is. That's why Kobe's playing basketball, and Tiger's playing golf. Instead of getting kicked in the shins every five seconds, and falling down crying. It's pretty ridiculous how much money they make.

Edited by Shotime

The wretched refuse. It's called tenacity. They should have more fights in football. Broad Street Bullies types. Defense and intimidation.

Broad Street bullies ? Unless you're referring to Green Street, as in London's East End and one goddamn awful 'hoolie' film of the same name ?

There's plenty of tenacity in football, that's not the problem. However, physical and artless teams have long been loathed in world football, and in the English Premiership in particular. There's nothing wrong with endevour, as the USA showed last night, but unfortunately for some, they tend so get taken apart by more experienced and talented sides when the balance is redressed -- as when the USA last played Brasil, and will in all probablity happen again,

I watched some of the world cup (someone said the super bowl and the world series), and aside from the draws, it was ok if you were drunk. However, it was, at times, beautiful to watch.

I can never understand why it is that our American friends have no concept of all things being equal, i.e. a draw. You can get some excellent games that end in draws. As in life, it's not all about winners and losers, but appreciation of the art form in itself. But admittedly at other times they can be boring , but so can those matches that produce results.

Now you're gaining something of an education in football, perhaps next then cricket ? But I suspect that bridge too far. :)

The last World Cup was watched by 2 Billion people,a third of the planet,what's the viewing figures for the Superbowl?

American football - Rugby for girlie men in Spandex and shoulder pads!

Baseball - Played by little girls in schools around Britain and called Rounders!

Basketball - Freakishly tall men running up and down a wooden court for x hours/minutes!

The Beautiful game 1 - Rubbish American sports 0!

Cricket -- baseball, but the pitcher requires 100 yard running start and the batter is dressed like he's going in to battle a Minotaur.

Rugby -- don't tackle him like that ... nope that's no good either ... sorry, not like that ... tsk, tsk that won't do. Now give him a kiss. Crouch, Touch, Pet, Grope

Kickball -- zero-zero following an entire lifetime of a game. All 22 players simultaneously flop on the ground writhing in pain as if someone splashed their faces with a beaker of battery acid.

Do all Brits throw like girls?

Edited by Texpat

Cricket -- baseball, but the pitcher requires 100 yard running start and the batter is dressed like he's going in to battle a Minotaur.

Rugby -- don't tackle him like that ... nope that's no good either ... sorry, not like that ... tsk, tsk that won't do. Now give him a kiss. Crouch, Touch, Pet, Grope

Kickball -- zero-zero following an entire lifetime of a game. All 22 players simultaneously flop on the ground writhing in pain as if someone splashed their faces with a beaker of battery acid.

Do all Brits throw like girls?

Why don't you come down to the cricket nets and find out about Brits throwing like girls? :)

As for the rest of, it'a real poor attempt at trolling

I'm Canadian so bare with me...The USA have MUCH better athletes then the other teams. Now I said better

"athletes" not better soccer players. If they (USA) played soccer as kids like in South America or most of Europe

does in the streets starting a age 3 then they would dominate world soccer sorry to say.

the US won't really be good at football until they accept it as a game which isn't just played by schoolkids and women.

And they won't accept it until the World Cup is called the World Series or World Super Bowl :D

As the great Winston Churchill said :

"You can always expect the American's to come to the right decision....after all other possibilities have been thoughroughly exhausted" :)

What's with the Americans coming in here and acting like all Americans think like them? Some people like futbol, and are American. The game has grown in popularity. Calling it "kickball" just shows what an ignoramus you are.

Why does a simple topic about the U.S. beating Spain bring in those who want to start arguing about cultural differences in sports? This is the football/soccer forum, not the boring, heard it all before, silly argument forum.

The U.S. is not better at world football because it has been an extremely unpopular sport for a long time, but that is changing and for the better, for those who love it more than any other sport, like myself. The U.S. has always been an isolated place, bordering only two other countries and covering a large area. So, all of these things combine to make it what it is, a country that due to its largeness and isolation, generally does things its own way.

What's with the Americans coming in here and acting like all Americans think like them? Some people like futbol, and are American. The game has grown in popularity. Calling it "kickball" just shows what an ignoramus you are.

Why does a simple topic about the U.S. beating Spain bring in those who want to start arguing about cultural differences in sports? This is the football/soccer forum, not the boring, heard it all before, silly argument forum.

The U.S. is not better at world football because it has been an extremely unpopular sport for a long time, but that is changing and for the better, for those who love it more than any other sport, like myself. The U.S. has always been an isolated place, bordering only two other countries and covering a large area. So, all of these things combine to make it what it is, a country that due to its largeness and isolation, generally does things its own way.

Spot on, I'm guessing that our friend mistook the T for an S when he typed in his username.

How did Spector play ??

Got a right runaround and was left standing by Xavi on too many occasions to mention. Looked well out of his depth, but like the rest of his side resolutely did a job. Although he was probably their worse defender.

Spector needs to improve his crossing, drastically. His best contribution to date in the tournament was his long cross which he put right on Dempsey's head to make it 3-0 against the Pharaohs and send the U.S. to the semis. that's about all he's done, though.

Spector needs to improve his crossing, drastically. His best contribution to date in the tournament was his long cross which he put right on Dempsey's head to make it 3-0 against the Pharaohs and send the U.S. to the semis. that's about all he's done, though.

Is that sarcasm or are you serious Jim ??

Perhaps he's thinking of Phil Spector. :)

Reading through this thread has been fun.

I'm not a "rah rah" go USA type of fan at all.

But still must say that the USA bashers need to be realistic in that the sport of football, or soccer as it's called in the states, is the 4th or 5th most popular sport in the country. Meaning the best athletes go to the other 3 (or 4) first.

It may be an artistic game to some but determining the Champion of the World with something called a penalty kick is a sad way to determine the tournament.

On the other hand, i do like the way the game unfolds without commercial breaks and has some continuity to it.

But i really get bored watching a zero zero game. (call it a draw, a tie, or whatever, it is still called "boring" to many)

Now, we did beat the supposedly no. 1 team in the world so, give some credit where it is due.

But still must say that the USA bashers need to be realistic in that the sport of football, or soccer as it's called in the states, is the 4th or 5th most popular sport in the country. Meaning the best athletes go to the other 3 (or 4) first.

It may be an artistic game to some but determining the Champion of the World with something called a penalty kick is a sad way to determine the tournament.

On the other hand, i do like the way the game unfolds without commercial breaks and has some continuity to it.

But i really get bored watching a zero zero game. (call it a draw, a tie, or whatever, it is still called "boring" to many)

Now, we did beat the supposedly no. 1 team in the world so, give some credit where it is due.

It only appears to be boring to the majority of Americans, it doesn't appear to be boring to the rest of the World though does it, hence it being THE most popular Sport in the World.

& calling something the " World Series " when only N American Teams competing in it, is a sad way to describe the Tournament it too isn't it or does it coinicide with my above point, to many Americans, you ARE the World ??

It only appears to be boring to the majority of Americans, it doesn't appear to be boring to the rest of the World though does it, hence it being THE most popular Sport in the World.

& calling something the " World Series " when only N American Teams competing in it, is a sad way to describe the Tournament it too isn't it or does it coinicide with my above point, to many Americans, you ARE the World ??

In fairness Singhy, I thought fiddlehead gave a good post and insight as to what Americans think. He also has a valid point about 0-0 draws and with the England team being knocked out so many times on penalties, I only too often think that penalties isn't the best way. Golden goal used to work for me better.

And team USA must be given credit for getting as far as they have. They might be a dark horse next year and under estimated.

We invited you guys but nobody could throw overhand.

You're still invited. Put together a team! :)

No, I'm serious. Well, he has just been average, in my opinion. His crossing has been subpar, I mean I just remember too many of his crosses flying out for a goal kick or missing the mark and his defending has not been great but at times he's put in the last ditch tackle. He's done the job but could have been better, is all I'm saying. Of course I want him to do well when he plays for the U.S. but that's just what I remember of his performances. Frankly, I think Frankie Hejduk is the better option for the U.S. in that position despite his age and that he's a mere MLS player but his passion and work rate are unbelievable and unmatched. He's injured so didn't make the trip, however.

In fairness Singhy, I thought fiddlehead gave a good post and insight as to what Americans think. He also has a valid point about 0-0 draws and with the England team being knocked out so many times on penalties, I only too often think that penalties isn't the best way. Golden goal used to work for me better.

And team USA must be given credit for getting as far as they have. They might be a dark horse next year and under estimated.

BJ, i'm not knocking them or fiddlehead in the lightest, hats off to them for beating the Spanish...

I just merely pointed out that although some Americans find 0-0's boring, the vast majority of the World doesn't..

My point i was trying to make was that the whole World doesn't revolve around America & their outlook on things..

To have a debate about how a Game should finish is opening a whole new Can of Worms but with regards to Golden Goal, i personally thought became more defensive because of it due to the fear of losing a Goal rather than seeing all out attack..

So the idea is just ignore him, and maybe he'll go away.

It's not the 0-0 thing, although there should be a winner and a loser. Instead of like kissing your sister, it's like kissing your mother. Watching sports and gambling are, forever, intertwined. It's more the stoppage of play every 5 minutes (when something may actually be developing on the playing field) because some a-hole gets kicked in the shins, and falls down hoping he'll draw a card.

I have a couple suggestions, and it's too hot to anything else. First. If a player is actually hurt, his teammates should have to hook him and drag him off the field before he's replaced. Is it unmanly to wear some kind of shin guard? The fakers should be carded. Second. Play 4 quarters (which is normal in most sports), and switch advantage alternatively to each team. The whole strategy of the game is to draw an advantage. Eliminate it. How can you sit there and watch a game where most of it is spent in injury timeouts? It gets annoying.

I understand it's part of your heritage, dare I say culture, to get drunk and watch soccer. Maybe start a hooligan free-for-all. I just don't get it. What is it? A team of strikers, punters, and fakers? No more faking.

Edited by Shotime