U.s.a. Stuns Spain

mogoso

with regards to Golden Goal, i personally thought became more defensive because of it due to the fear of losing a Goal rather than seeing all out attack..

Yes agreed. Golden goal might seem a bit fairer but more often than not guarantees a dull last period of play with little adventure, a lot of defense, and then due to fatigue a mistake and a goal. Certainly none of the drama of penalty kicks. The golden goal idea would be better if they added an extra element to it - such as taking off a player every 5 minutes. Something to add drama.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand it's part of your heritage, dare I say culture, to get drunk and watch soccer. Maybe start a hooligan free-for-all. I just don't get it, but, eventually, we'll beat you at your own sport.

We already did beat England at their own game, in the 1950 World Cup.

Don't go around suggesting ways to improve soccer, especially with the 4 quarters nonsense? Are you serious? It's perfect just the way it is now. Boring? Basketball used to be my sport, now when I watch it I go absolutely nuts with all the commercial timeouts. Real football flows and the injury timeouts are nothing compared to the amount of stoppages in American football, basketball and baseball. Soccer, futbol, whatever you call it, has more uninterrupted action than any other major U.S. sport, save racing :), and I don't really consider that a sport.

The problem is you're thinking it's boring because there is less scoring, which isn't true. Baseball has the same problem a lot of the time, but true baseball lovers watch it for the pitch by pitch action. Like my friend who can tell when a pitch is a curveball, a slider, etc. whereas I have no clue. It's the same with futbol. The passing, the stunning saves by the keeper, the controversial calls, the unbridled excitement of scoring a goal because they come rarely, etc. To not see these details means you're just not a fan, and like to come up with stupid arguments for why it's boring when if you started to watch it more, you'd see it's the best loved sport on Earth for a reason. It's just been engrained in your head that the sport is not for Americans, so you join in with all the silly things most Americans say about the sport that I've heard my whole life, and never thought about the stupidity (of course they're said in jest and often jokingly, I realize, and by the very nature of such comments if you think about them seriously well of course they're stupid, they're supposed to be, I know) of such statements until I started to watch more. Like they told Tom Cruise at the end of Vanilla Sky, "Open your eyes."

Anyway, nothing personal.

Edited by Jimjim

Baseball has the same problem a lot of the time, but true baseball lovers watch it for the pitch by pitch action. Like my friend who can tell when a pitch is a curveball, a slider, etc. whereas I have no clue. It's the same with futbol. The passing, the stunning saves by the keeper, the controversial calls, the unbridled excitement of scoring a goal because they come rarely, etc. To not see these details means you're just not a fan, and like to come up with stupid arguments for why it's boring when if you started to watch it more, you'd see it's the best loved sport on Earth for a reason.

Very true that people who have never taken an interest in a certain sport, nor tried playing it, often find it difficult to appreciate what it takes to play it well and dismiss it as pointless and boring.

Besides football, two of my favourite sports are snooker and golf. Being exposed to these games from a young age and having a chance to play them and comprehend just how insanely difficult it is to be consistently good at these games is where much of the enjoyment comes from in watching them. When people groan and say "boooooriiiing" it's annoying that they judge something they don't understand and it reminds me to promise myself to never to do the same.

I hasten to add that that promise only applies to sports. That's why i'm free to say that wrestling is one of the most boring and stupid activites known to man!

I never said boring. I said painful. Please don't take anything I say personal, either.

I had a run-in with some English-accented, sniveling man the other night. Sorry to put you through all that, but it was interesting to read. He looked like the kind of man that had the shit beat out of him every day growing up, but thinks he can get away with being an a-hole now that he's grown up. We'll see. You know the type? They know no boundaries.

I had a good time during the last World Cup. I saw the Czech Republic get beat while in Prague, and ran into some Mexicans that were about to be eliminated because of some other stupid rule, but you're right. I'm brainwashed. I had friends in elementary school who played futbol. For some reason, it just never interested me that much. I do, however, appreciate the skills involved in the sport. When drunk.

Edit: No edit because Singh hurt me.

Edited by Shotime

I understand it's part of your heritage, dare I say culture, to get drunk and watch soccer. Maybe start a hooligan free-for-all. I just don't get it. What is it? A team of strikers, punters, and fakers? No more faking.

& with that one Paragraph, i won't grant you another milli second of my personal time after i hit the " add reply " button which is right about................ :)

I never said boring. I said painful. Please don't take anything I say personal, either.

I had a run-in with some English-accented, sniveling man the other night. Sorry to put you through all that, but it was interesting to read. He looked like the kind of man that had the shit beat out of him every day growing up, but thinks he can get away with being an a-hole now that he's grown up. We'll see. You know the type? They know no boundaries.

I had a good time during the last World Cup. I saw the Czech Republic get beat while in Prague, and ran into some Mexicans that were about to be eliminated because of some other stupid rule, but you're right. I'm brainwashed. I had friends in elementary school who played futbol. For some reason, it just never interested me that much. I do, however, appreciate the skills involved in the sport. When drunk.

To be honest I don't know the type. You are using a typical assumption that Football and hooligans are intertwined, they are not. The majority of football fans in the UK have no time for the <deleted>.

As for American sports, I find them painful as well, but appreciate the different skill sets in all of them. I guess it's all about what sports we have been bought up with.

As for that other A-hole - he reinforces all of the sterotypes that people have about Americans.

I was apologizing to Singh, but he owes me a 1,000 baht.

No probs, i have R.E.S.P.E.C.T. for you for admitting your wrongness, unlike many others that visit the Football Forum.. :D

Oh & i don't owe you it, i owe someone else it, read the original Post.. :)

& for what it's worth, GO BEARS, GO CUBS, GO BLACKHAWKS, GO FIRE.. :D

Edited by MSingh

Baseball has the same problem a lot of the time, but true baseball lovers watch it for the pitch by pitch action. Like my friend who can tell when a pitch is a curveball, a slider, etc. whereas I have no clue. It's the same with futbol. The passing, the stunning saves by the keeper, the controversial calls, the unbridled excitement of scoring a goal because they come rarely, etc. To not see these details means you're just not a fan, and like to come up with stupid arguments for why it's boring when if you started to watch it more, you'd see it's the best loved sport on Earth for a reason.

Very true that people who have never taken an interest in a certain sport, nor tried playing it, often find it difficult to appreciate what it takes to play it well and dismiss it as pointless and boring.

Besides football, two of my favourite sports are snooker and golf. Being exposed to these games from a young age and having a chance to play them and comprehend just how insanely difficult it is to be consistently good at these games is where much of the enjoyment comes from in watching them. When people groan and say "boooooriiiing" it's annoying that they judge something they don't understand and it reminds me to promise myself to never to do the same.

I hasten to add that that promise only applies to sports. That's why i'm free to say that wrestling is one of the most boring and stupid activites known to man!

Rixalex and jimhim have it in one.

My father never watched sports but rather spent his free time with his kids, not plopped in front of a tv. So, therefore, I have no interest in watching sports on tv, neither does anyone in my family, including my niece and nephews who all played soccer, baseball etc at school.

OK, I will give you Aussie rules, which has very cute uniforms :) but otherwise, they are all dull as ditchwater.

And why all this ends up being fraught with nastiness and insults, I can never begin to imagine. I suggest you all just get over it.

& Stevie, you're saying the English are a race of Mongrels, to an American ?????? Bwahahahahahaha :)

Maybe we are & i understand you have about the same amount of Patriotism as the Labour Goverment in the UK ( None at all ), but what on Earth does that make Americans then ??

was just making the point that the english aren't a race, really. they're a nationality. and americans are as such fourth and fifth generation mutts who aren't a race either.

Are you sure you geniuses aren't confusing nationality for race?

& Stevie, you're saying the English are a race of Mongrels, to an American ?????? Bwahahahahahaha :)

Maybe we are & i understand you have about the same amount of Patriotism as the Labour Goverment in the UK ( None at all ), but what on Earth does that make Americans then ??

was just making the point that the english aren't a race, really. they're a nationality. and americans are as such fourth and fifth generation mutts who aren't a race either.

Are you sure you geniuses aren't confusing nationality for race?

Maybe we are Mr Mensa Candidate but with Racism being the most hypocritical & nonsensical subject on our beloved Earth, someone was bound to.. :D

My father never watched sports but rather spent his free time with his kids, not plopped in front of a tv. So, therefore, I have no interest in watching sports on tv, neither does anyone in my family, including my niece and nephews who all played soccer, baseball etc at school.

Which just goes to show the dangers of spending too much time with your kids. :)

U.s.a. Stuns Spain

Soccer result

:)

Sorry, just had a mental picture of the USA team setting phasers to stun on the Spanish team...................... Armada than you are............... :D

redrus

To be honest I don't know the type. You are using a typical assumption that Football and hooligans are intertwined, they are not. The majority of football fans in the UK have no time for the <deleted>.

I've got to disagree with that, ive never been involved in football violence or ever seen anything thats been worth calling football violence in 27 years of going to football (<deleted> i'm old!), but the majority of Old Skool football fans think let them get on with it and can understand why people do it, most hooligans are without doubt proper football fans, ...... but the Mickey Mouse hooligans that go to games for a few years, that latch onto England or some team to think theyre a bit of a villian for a few years .. arent, and should be shot!

I'm not poking fun. It's N. American football, but we had to establish a court-room with a judge at the stadium because of the Mickey Mouses in our city. Alcohol sales had to be stopped (I forget) after a certain point during the game. I also forget the punishments for rowdy, drunken, non-sport related idiot behavior, but they didn't shoot anybody.

I've been a fan a long time, too.

Let's not take this past sport, but, lately, it's picking our fights that we're not real smart at.

So the idea is just ignore him, and maybe he'll go away.

It's not the 0-0 thing, although there should be a winner and a loser. Instead of like kissing your sister, it's like kissing your mother. Watching sports and gambling are, forever, intertwined. It's more the stoppage of play every 5 minutes (when something may actually be developing on the playing field) because some a-hole gets kicked in the shins, and falls down hoping he'll draw a card.

I have a couple suggestions, and it's too hot to anything else. First. If a player is actually hurt, his teammates should have to hook him and drag him off the field before he's replaced. Is it unmanly to wear some kind of shin guard? The fakers should be carded. Second. Play 4 quarters (which is normal in most sports), and switch advantage alternatively to each team. The whole strategy of the game is to draw an advantage. Eliminate it. How can you sit there and watch a game where most of it is spent in injury timeouts? It gets annoying.

I understand it's part of your heritage, dare I say culture, to get drunk and watch soccer. Maybe start a hooligan free-for-all. I just don't get it. What is it? A team of strikers, punters, and fakers? No more faking.

i always like it when americans attempt to improve the game of football by suggesting marketing and advertising-driven initiatives like four quarters. we should perhaps have special teams as well. and you mention shinpads (which are required to be worn by the laws of the game by the way) while neglecting to mention that american 'football' involves crash helmets. bless 'em.

per your final paragraph, i don't think you do 'understand' football one jot. it's not about heritage, culture, getting drunk or hooliganism, they're just by-products. it's actually about communities, spirit, loyalty and belonging. tribalism if you want to go a bit deeper. something that the average american sports fan, with their moveable and interchangeable 'franchises', i wouldn't really expect to get.

football is the purest and simplest sport on earth, some of the best matches i've ever seen have been 0-0 draws where each team tactically cancelled the other one out magnificently. football as chess, as strategy, is wonderful to watch. "sit there watching a game where most of it is spent in injury timeouts"? notwithstanding that that's incorrect, the game of football is based on a running clock, not a shot clock, not timeouts, not cynical stoppages in play designed to fit in more commercials and allow people to buy more footlongs.

but like i say, i don't really expect you to understand all of the above, because you simply can't.

(Easy Stevie, but this is too funny, and I quote from the Bangkok Post (which I'm not real sure of anyway). (Anything in quotes, is mine.))

Spain sink (s) South Africa in extra-time.

South Africa: Liverpool (which I thought was in England) midfielder Xabi Alonso (interesting last name, serious) scored a free kick to give Spain a dramatic (HA!) 3-2 extra time victory ...... (I used to feel sorry for the place-kickers, mostly futbol players) who had to kick a field goal to win a game. The poor goalie. How can you decide the game on a free-kick? seriously)

A largely incident-less (I can't remember the word that's used for words or phrases which are, maybe, less offensive than what the writer is saying. They're like substitute words) game sprang to life when (whoever), to strike (struck?) twice for Spain within 60 seconds (60 seconds).

(I'll only go a little further)

Spain reacted to a shock (lots of shocks and stuns in that sport) defeat by the UNITED STATES in the first semi-final with four changes..... (whoever) was among those arrested, (I mean rested. Poor baby. He must have been exhausted after having his ass handed to him).

Finished. I couldn't find who wrote the piece, but he must have been an a-hole from N. America.

Excuse me, but I'm missing the Septics thing. It must be a substitute word for something else.

Edited by Shotime