U.s.a. Stuns Spain

mogoso

So now you're resorting to name calling? The last refuge. That's a little childish. Why septics?

That sort of term is usually reserved for use by those of a questionable mentality , imo. And one term of insult that, I for one, would never use. It's unnecessarily insulting and unacceptable.

I have been known to use another,i.e 'wooden plank' for Yank. Albeit slightly tongue-in-cheek in referring to an old adage of being 'as thick as ... '. I've got to add that George Dubya never exactly went very far in dispelling that image. Although, there again, there's the likes of Naomi Chomsky, the current President of the USA and no doubt millions of others who definitely do not fit that stereotype.

But "septic"? No , not really -- unless there is some kind of fundamentalist hate agenda going on.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just to give the yanks on here a lesson in songs and banter involved in football from fans of one team to the other fans, I think this one would have be used last night.

( sung to the same tune as the chorus of Pet shop boys "go west")

Two-Nil and you <deleted>#ked it up,

Repeat as required..........

Come on, if you can work out septic, surely you can figure it out.

There was no need to work-out the term 'septic' mate in context, mate, it's one that I've been well familiar with for decades. But if I interpret you correctly, then "piece o' " isn't exactly the same thing as the collective noun inferred by the term 'septic'. That'd be like saying that Chelsea * are a piece o', when in fact it's the team, club and everything that they stand for that are ...

Hope that bleedin' well helps. :D

*note the subtle nudge back to football. :)

Fascinating, this blind drunk, hug your mate, sing-a-song culture.

An interesting perspective on our devolving species.

Look, I'm getting mightely pissed at the way you troll this forum. If you don't like our banter, have no interest in the game -- then please smudge the landscape with your inane comments elsewhere. Cheers.

just to give the yanks on here a lesson in songs and banter involved in football from fans of one team to the other fans, I think this one would have be used last night.

( sung to the same tune as the chorus of Pet shop boys "go west")

Repeat as required..........

Did we lose already? Eliminated?

Who cares about a stupid soccer game anyway?

Did we lose already? Eliminated?

Not eliminated. That's for the pleminary rounds and not the actual Final -- must be the same for other sports surely. You lost ! But not without a certain amount of respect I hasten to add.

Who cares about a stupid soccer game anyway ?

Bye-bye then.

I want to take back what I've previously said about the a-hole with that disrespectful hat. I think I've already said that they're another race of a-holes

I'm beginning to believe he, or she, is purposely being inane(?). I pity his/her bf/gf, or vice-versa. He-she is trying to make all N. Americans look like a-holes. We are, and we can talk about it amongst ourselves, but we don't like some Canadian trying to make us look like a-holes. Can the mods limit his access to the motor forum?

So where do we stand? Did we make it safely, and rested (most important the boys get their rest. They were probably partying for 36 hours before the last game) from the semis? Who beat us? Please don't tell me it was the bulldogs.

So now you're resorting to name calling? The last refuge. That's a little childish. Why septics?

That sort of term is usually reserved for use by those of a questionable mentality , imo. And one term of insult that, I for one, would never use. It's unnecessarily insulting and unacceptable.

:)

You make my blood boil at times HH, you really do..

How's that for a generalisation aye ??

Absolutely scandalous..

It's not name calling, it's not an insult, It's not unacceptable, it's just slang, something my Family taught me, generations of my Family used/use & i find your sh*tty remark highly offensive to be honest HH..

You amaze me with your " Holier than thou " attitude you seem to have, where are you from out of curiosity ??

=========================

Rhyming slang is a form of slang in which a word is replaced by a rhyming word, typically the second word of a two-word phrase (so stairs becomes "apples and pears"). The second word is then often dropped entirely ("I'm going up the apples"), meaning that the association of the original word to the rhyming phrase is not obvious to the uninitiated. For example: "Sherman" for an American (Sherman tank = Yank).[1]

The exact origin of rhyming slang is unclear, partly because it exists to some extent in many languages. In English, rhyming slang is strongly associated with Cockney speech from the East End of London.

==========================

So just like Sherman Tank, Septic Tank rhymes with Yank, as does Wooden Plank, Barclays Bank & every other poxy word which has got " ank " on the end of it...

Unreal...

:D

Edit : Anyway, hope that clears it up for you now Septics/Wooden/Sherman/Barclays & you understand that it's not an insult, it's just slang from soemwhere that you haven't a Scooby about & if it doesn't clear it up, then i'll be absolutely honest & say that i don't give a monkeys anyway... :D

Edited by MSingh

Absolutely scandalous..

It's not name calling, it's not an insult, It's not unacceptable, it's just slang, something my Family taught me, generations of my Family used/use & i find your sh*tty remark highly offensive to be honest HH..

You amaze me with your " Holier than thou " attitude you seem to have, where are you from out of curiosity ??

I can understand you commenting on getting on my "high horse". I do that sometimes.

However, I'm very well aware of it's origins -- so there's absolutely no need to post a link to rhyming slang -- but that doesn't make it right. For instance, I'd never refer to a 'front wheel' or to cash till as a Jews harp or anything so crass. All have their origins in London's East End. But like the times, language and respect for others moves on for most.

The term 'septic' is deeply offensive to some Yanks that I've met so, therefore, I wouldn't use it. As I've said it depends on how much thought that you give the implications of such terminology, or as I've previously inferred ... one's mindset.

Absolutely scandalous..

I can understand you commenting on getting on my "high horse". I do that sometimes.

However, I'm very well aware of it's origins -- so there's absolutely no need to post a link to rhyming slang -- but that doesn't make it right. For instance, I'd never refer to a 'front wheel' or to cash till as a Jews harp or anything so crass. All have their origins in London's East End. But like the times, language and respect for others moves on for most.

The term 'septic' is deeply offensive to some Yanks that I've met so, therefore, I wouldn't use it. As I've said it depends on how much thought that you give the implications of such terminology, or as I've previously inferred ... one's mindset.

Yeah but HH, Front Wheel refers to a Y*d which is a deeply offensive word in itself ( even though 30k of them sing it in unison at White Hart Lane week in week out but for some reason, that's acceptable ) so of course the Slang for it should deemed offensive too..

Septic Tank, Barclays Bank, Wooden Plank etc etc is Slang for " Yank ", no more than that & if you find the term " Yank " offensively then fair enough but how anyone can find the slang word for something offensive, if you don't find the word it's referring too as offensive, is beyond me to be honest..

I personally think people get offended at just about anything these days & even when there's nothing to actually be offended of, when you take a step back & look at it.. :D

Edited by MSingh

Yeah but HH, Front Wheel refers to a Y*d which is a deeply offensive word in itself ( even though 30k of them sing it in unison at White Hart Lane week in week out but for some reason, that's acceptable ) so of course the Slang for it should deemed offensive too..

I don't know why you're stating the obvious concerning what 'front wheel (skid)' refers to. I'd expect that most people know that.

You say that 30,000 or more own the 'Yid' label at White Hart lane. I return the question, but ask how many of them are actually Jewish ? Very few, if any, if you see my point.

Correction

Above I mentioned that in the East End a cash till had been referred to as a Jews harp in the past, when in fact it used to be described as being a Jews piano and not harp.

Added anecdote:

I was once seated amongst disabled supporters at UP, and in a moment shouted something to the linesman about being blind. It was only on noticing an embarrassed silence surrounding me that I learned to be more sensitive to the language that I used in that instance.

But you will notice that I use the term 'linesman' not some ridiculous PC term like 'referee's assistant'. Here I draw the line (if you'll excuse the pun). :)

Edited by Happy Hammer

So, we've come from name calling, to anti-USA remarks, to anti-semitism. Maybe I'm missing something. I would like to think so. So I'll give you a chance to clear it up. It doesn't necessarily surprise me, but it is disappointing. It's a little clearer though why you were seated with disabled persons.

Edited by Shotime

Although, there again, there's the likes of Naomi Chomsky

Is she any relation to Norma Mailer? :D

Anyway, the MAN's name is Noam Chomsky ... :)

post-37101-1246291087_thumb.jpg

Bottom line, euro fussyball is bloody un-American, don't believe anyone who tells you any different.

OK, maybe that will change in about 500 years when we win the world cup ...

Edited by Jingthing

I don't know why you're stating the obvious concerning what 'front wheel (skid)' refers to. I'd expect that most people know that.

You say that 30,000 or more own the 'Yid' label at White Hart lane. I return the question, but ask how many of them are actually Jewish ? Very few, if any, if you see my point.

Are you saying that hardly any of T*ttenham's core Support that attend Matches are Jewish ??

If so, do you really, really expect me to continue debating with you when you make Points like that & then expect me to " see your point " ???

Your point is nonsensical & completely inaccurate & i can only assume you're jesting ??

================Tottenham supporters have rivalries with several clubs, mainly within the London area. The fiercest of these is with North London rivals Arsenal. They also share notable rivalries with fellow London clubs Chelsea and West Ham United. [35]

The club, as with many clubs in London, has a large Jewish following and this led to much provocation of an anti-semitic nature[citation needed] against Tottenham supporters. Tottenham supporters, Jewish and non-Jewish, united against this and adopted for themselves the nickname Yids, developing chants to support this. Many of the fans view adopting “Yid” as a badge of pride, helping defuse its power as an insult. Today it is mainly used to distinguish fans from other football supporters. Many fans, however, disagree with the use of the name "Yid", and believe it will only attract more racism.

==================

What is the term "Yids" and what has it got to do with Tottenham Hotspur ?

The term Yids derives from the Jewish supportership of THFC. Coming from the language Yiddish, it is a slang term for a Jew. There is a large Jewish population near to the area Spurs play in and they have traditionally followed Tottenham although now quite a lot support Arsenal too (their chairman and some of their directors are Jewish also). Having had this thrown at Spurs as a derogatory term, the supporters of the club adopted it as an unofficial nickname and also so that it would not have the same effect if other clubs shouted it in an anti-Semitic manner.

==================

& Shotime, you're not talking to me about clearing things up are you ??

post-55211-1246291064_thumb.jpg

In fact, reading back at your Posts on this, i'm done with it, i think i've stated quite clearly where i'm coming from & would like to think that people can see & understand it..

You're points on the other hand are both nonsensical & inaccurate, like i said..

Yeah, Yids is not really offensive in itself, it is more like affectionate. Of course, most words can be USED offensively depending on the context and tone, for example FARANG.

There is only ONE tone for farang, i.e. the low tone. The meaning is ambiguous, although I accept the general one of as being a contraction of falangsayt = French . It's only that it's spoken in that tone that makes it sound offensive.

PS

Please note that this is a football supporters related issue, so try not to deviate into making ridiculous comparisons, unless you understand the essence of the debate. Thanks

Edited by Happy Hammer

Are you saying that hardly any of T*ttenham's core Support that attend Matches are Jewish ?? If so, do you really, really expect me to continue debating with you when you make Points like that & then expect me to " see your point " ???

You silly little person. I was saying that only a small minority of those that use the derogatory term 'Yid' are Jewish. You mentioned the number 30,000, of course Spurs average attendance far excedes that number anyway. I'll even teach you the origins of the antipathy that exists between West Ham and Tottenham if you behave.

As for the rest of your immature post , are you vying with Jingthing (Post #110) in being the most distastefully obnoxious here ? At least we can overlook him as being an American. You, I guess that I'll just have to put down to age or something.

So, we've come from name calling, to anti-USA remarks, to anti-semitism. Maybe I'm missing something. I would like to think so. So I'll give you a chance to clear it up. It doesn't necessarily surprise me, but it is disappointing. It's a little clearer though why you were seated with disabled persons.

That bits funny..... :D

Its BANTER <deleted> you plum, if you don't understand it then try and, if you don't like it........................Well, I best not say, you might report me..... :)

redrus

That bits funny..... :)

Is it ? Not if you actually are physically disabled. I am you see and find the comments that you find funny as being offensive. Even if I wasn't, they display a 'certain' animal mentality, imo. Given that the person making that particular comment had misunderstood every single word that I had previously written. Even then, I can find no excuse.

This ,I think, stresses the point that I was attempting to make. That is, perhaps some should show a little more forethought before adopting the use of derogatory terms of abuse based upon another's difference and/or disability , therefore, assuming such worthy of ridicule. Some might even call that bullying -- or worse.

Somehow, redrus, I wondered if you may not know better.

I think you're missing the point which also doesn't surprise me, and I apologize for the disabled point. It's sort of like the a-hole thing. It's ok for Jews to call each other Yids, but it's not ok for you former cave-dwellers to do it. You brought up race/religion from out of nowhere when you ran out of words to defend that sport you call football. Maybe I'll watch some today if I can stay awake. Unfortunately, I don't drink anymore, but I'll grin and bear it.

GO USA

In fact, reading back at your Posts on this, i'm done with it, i think i've stated quite clearly where i'm coming from & would like to think that people can see & understand it..

You're points on the other hand are both nonsensical & inaccurate, like i said..

That's the second time you've said that, but you'll be back.

I've yet to read the paper this morning. I'll be back with some more banter (?), and let's keep it in the realm of sport. I can live without the slang and it's derivatives for affectionate phrases.