David Kevin Griffin

helpkevingriffin

David Kevin Griffin - Background

Kevin went to Thailand for a year in 2005 to work for a company selling / renting properties. During that year he met "Nut" (easy translation) who became his girlfriend. From 2005 to present he never returned to the UK even though he knows he is well loved and sorely missed. Kevin even renewed his passport close to Thailand - he didnt want to leave Nut alone so long. His close friends such as me, his ex, stepdaughter and her friend spoke to him and Nut regularly and until mid 2008 everything seemed fine.. He was happy and Nut seemed like a really nice lady.. then noone heard from him AT ALL..

Note: we all call him Kev - he didnt like "david") so he is known as Kevin Griffin

I got a Phone call from Kev in mid January this year (2009) saying he was in some trouble - he had borrowed money from a "friend" over some months to pay bills (during the "bite" of the recession while work was tight) in the hope that things would get better but they didnt.. now this "friend" and his friends were threatening to hurt Nut to hurt Kevin - they suggested she work for them as a prostitute.. Kev rang me for help but i couldnt immediatly..

Within 2 weeks I sold my van, mountain bike, some tools and other stuff in order to go to Thailand and help him.. Tried to call to see what to do next but his contact number had gone Dead! I didnt even know where he was! I found out much later but it was too late - on 4th February 2009 Kevin was arrested selling drugs to tourists! He now faces 5 years to Life imprisonment. Noone knows where Nut is. A friend suggested to put all this down on bebo etc - he did break the law but support and pleas of leniency from a lot of people may help.. and we may find his family and other firends..

Kevin was NOT a drug dealer. OBVIOUSLY NEW TO IT OR NOT VERY GOOD BECAUSE HE GOT CAUGHT ANYWAY!

In those 2 weeks since the phone call I had I dont know what happened - I can only ASSUME that these "friends" maybe forced Kevin to work for them to sell their drugs or something very similar - I KNOW KEVIN, A 49 YEAR OLD TOP BLOKE - WOULD NOT RISK ANYTHING IN THAILAND WITHOUT A VERY GOOD REASON - HE IS VERY AWARE OF THINGS THERE - HE HAS LIVED THERE FOR 4 YEARS SELLING AND RENTING MANY PROPERTIES TO ALL KINDS OF PEOPLE. HE HATED THE STREET PEDALERS OF DRUGS IN SPAIN.. HE HAS A STEPDAUGHTER.. SO WHAT CHANGED?

I have Known Kev since 1994 when I first worked installing sound equipment at Bennys Nightclub in Radcliffe, Manchester. Along with Della (ex british Karate champ at the time), Dave (Top DJ) and Mel (Daves Girlfriend) they promoted club nights there. For this reason I know about Kev and the clubs Drugs policies - it wasnt tolerated - if seen they were thrown out. Kev would not risk his/theclubs reputation or his liberty. Kev is a grafter - a worker - he always has been.

By 1998 Kev had finished working in the clubs and had a small transport company that contracted for TNT parcels manchester - I was trucking, had an apartment in Belgium and was trucking UK - Europe but we still stayed very close - like brothers - we jus clicked from the start - KEVIN is a lot of fun and together we had a good laugh all the time.

To clarify something about the news report if you read it - Kev did smoke weed - he told me lots of people smoked it in thailand anyway and it grows wild - in the UK he took painkillers which ruined his stomach lining (for a back problem) - he found, along with thousands of others, that cannabis relieved it without his stomach bleeding BUT he does NOT deserve prison for that.

Since february there has been little I can do now - the Thai Police paraded him in Public and its on You tube (will link the videos in).

I dont know what to expect from this page but I hope somehow people can support him.. He is in a Hellhole now. I know he broke the law but there is a real story behind this - Kev is not a low life and shouldnt be treated as such - he is a proper gent and I know he would have done ANYTHING to protect his girl.

ANY ADVICE IS APPRICIATED eico_smile2.gifeico_smile2.gifeico_smile2.gif WHERE TO START?

Kevin has a new page devoted to him on BEBO dot COM / freekevingriffin

Noone expects him to be freed - BUT WE PLEAD FOR LENIENCY - KEVIN IS A TRUE GENTLEMAN!

Edited by helpkevingriffin

Sorry about your friend and he is lucky to have a good one like you apparently are. Thailand is definitely not the place for anyone who uses any form of drug. It is not true that everyone smokes weed. This may have been so in the 60s but is not the case now. The penalties are totally out of proportion to the pleasure.

All you can do is send him occasional help in prison as he will need it for basic food and all needs. The embassy wont give him any real help and he will be there a very long time.

Sorry about your friend and he is lucky to have a good one like you apparently are. Thailand is definitely not the place for anyone who uses any form of drug. It is not true that everyone smokes weed. This may have been so in the 60s but is not the case now. The penalties are totally out of proportion to the pleasure.

All you can do is send him occasional help in prison as he will need it for basic food and all needs. The embassy wont give him any real help and he will be there a very long time.

OP I don't understand.

In capitals you write he was/is not a drug dealer, yet he was busted selling drugs to tourists............

This type of thing is best left with the locals. If he was taking business away from locals are you surprised he ended up where he is?

Sort of like, if I bought a tuk-tuk and started picking up tourists for fare, how long do you think I would last?

Bad people in bad businesses and we aren't in Kansas Toto, I don't mean to be insincere but when this guy decided to flog drugs to tourists he knew the risks. Sam nam na.......

I realise that my friend and DO NOT condone any kind of drug dealing.. but in real terms he wasnt a hardcore dealer - smoking grass vs painkillers is a worldwide debate.. the real question is.. how far would you go to keep your woman safe? He risked it all and lost.. I just need to know how to plead for Leniency, when his case will go to court.. any GOOD people like you who can advise me properly on anything I can do to help my Bro. if can send from UK.. How to find where he actually is to send anything..

I think the guy on the other comment is right about the TUK TUK analogy but im guessing he wasnt planning it to be a new career.. Id like to find out if he was FORCED into it.. I know he had already had nasty threats to his Girl, put her to work as prositiute etc.. Now he will never see her again either way - its very sad.

thanks in advance for any help

best regards

tim