Animal Release Planned For Feb. 27

mrdome

Calling all Buddhist practitioners:

A monk from Bhutan (Nyngma lineage, Tib. Buddhism) and I would like to buy suitable animals at the market and release them into environments where they can survive (instead of being chopped into pieces) on February 23rd.

This is not only a very auspicious day (Guru Rinpoche day) but all actions within the first 15 days of Chinese/Tibetan New Year will be multiplied!

One question he had that I couldn't answer: Those small shrimp, are they salt or fresh water animals (my guess is salt water but what do I know)?

Anyone who is interested, please let me know via sending me a pm.

For the best of all beings,

Guido

• 3 weeks later...

Very funny, toastwars.

It went really well. Thais wondered what the farang with the bucket was doing standing on the bridge over Klong Toey junction at 8 in the morning on a holiday...

We ended up buying about 35 kg of fish, a lot of them directly from under the knife. I guess not too many monks walk into the killing fields that is KT market - I saw a pile of dead fish leftovers myself, a bit stressful.

All fish we had bought survived and made it into the Chao Praya after the Venerable Cheten Dorji had finished the recitation of mantras and splashing of blessed water. To finish it all off, the merit was dedicated and that was it.

If you do something like this in the fourth month after Tibetan/Chinese New Year each life saved counts for millions I have been told.

Granted there are way too many stray dogs in Thailand but making comments about someone's religion is wrong. He put this out for the people that believe (I'm not one) but you have to respect other people's beliefs as long as they do not inflict pain and suffering on others.

Granted there are way too many stray dogs in Thailand but making comments about someone's religion is wrong. He put this out for the people that believe (I'm not one) but you have to respect other people's beliefs as long as they do not inflict pain and suffering on others.

this from the guy who just posted in the Buddhim religion thread as follows

There isn't a religion in the world that isn't frot with bs and so means to me that they are all are bs. Believe what you want to believe but if there is a (whatever you want to call him), then he, she, it, is screwed

Yes I did say the above and it's my opinion on religion. I also say it is up to the individual what he/she wants to believe. I don't say that they are wrong in that. To me it's just too much BS for what you actually get. People have to believe in a higher power as to not believe that we are either coming back (reincarnation) or going to a better place then people could not function and there would be utter caos. Bhuddhist teachings, ten commandments or whatever are nice goals to live by but the world doesn't live by them very well do they. The guy has his opinion and you have to respect it whether you agree with it or not and you can also voice yours. That's freedom not religion.

I apologise if I upset anyone with the comment I made in that thread and would apreciate it if admin would delete it.

Edited by Kringle

I know you meant no offense, I should have put in a few :o:D to show I was not being serious.

Actually I used to hold similar views, only I was more militant with them. And then one day it all changed, I wonder if I was in denial before?? Not to suggest that all none religious nuts like me are in denial, but I find it interesting how totally my view changed; and how when at both ends of the arguement I felt I was right. Which makes me suspicious about myself now of course.

The animal sellers at many temples, who sell to people for releasing, seem a bit strange to many newcomers, or non-Buddhists. In most cases they are not permitted to sell the animals inside the temple grounds as it is rather ridiculous to catch animals to sell to people to release, and is not really in line with Buddhist compassion to all beings. The temples cannot however prevent them from selling the birds and such by the entrances. Coming to Thailand the first time I looked down on this practise of catching animals to sell for release in Temples. But after I was cornered into doing it myself (Greng jai with some nice people) it actually did feel quite good. If I did it again I would buy from the market though.

One friend bought a bird, and was taking it to the temple for release when she stopped to buy something. She put the birdcage down by the side of the canal. A cat leapt out and knocked the cage into the water, and the little birdy-num-num died against the cage bars. She felt so bad she went and bought six more birds for release to try and make up for it.