Nakhon Sawan

simba

hi,

myself and girlfriend are in chiang mia, she has family in Nakhon Sawon and we will be visiting in the next few months my question is,

is there any good places to go for a night out ie a good meal and a few beers?

are ther any large shopping areas?

i no nothing about the place so woul be gratefull for any replys.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main town itself, is quite big and the standared Thai regional town, not very atractive, although Sawan Park is quite nice, the best hotel in town is the Piman Hotel, which also has the D'n"D Disco, which is'nt bad. I've never been out there in the night much as it's about 70 km away. There is a big "Big C" shopping center and an older one in the center called "Fairy Land" and a Macro just outside town so you can get most shopping stuff.

Is your GF family actually from the town, as Nakon Sawan is quite a big provence, if you will be staying somewhere else I'll try and give you a bit more info on that, but I'm not online much now :o

Hope that helps cheers RC

• 2 weeks later...
thanks for the replys,

from what i understand her family are from the town, will find out for sure when we go there in may or there abouts.

good to hear that there is some nite life and shopping even if it is not heaven.

and miles and miles of fields and meadows ..... GREEN galore and not so many people outside the city -- the villages are yeah, Ahhhhh! :o

• 1 month later...

Harmonica,

I'm with you...my brother-in-law works at the hotel close ECC in Nakhonsawan so there's a good chance I'll end up there as well. (The town, not the hotel :o ) Just got to figure out when I'm going to take the plunge. When are you headed there ?

Hi, I live here in Nakhon Sawan too. By the way one of the stores here is called Makro, not macro, hehehehehehhee.

Also there is a lot of foreigners staying and living here believe it or not. I see them quite common at the Big C store every time I go there especially during the weekend.

ONLY ONE THING TO WARN YOU ABOUT HERE--------> BEWARE OF THE MOTORCYCLE DRIVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been here a year now, and got hit by them 5 FRICKIN TIMES. Some have hit me from behind, some on the side of the car as they ride along, and some have even smacked me on my drivers side as I turn right.

They are a nightmare. They don't look where they are going and they simply assume that you are not there and even act like they own the entire road.

Times to avoid driving 7:30 to 8:30 AM in the morning and 4:30 to 5:30 in the evening. ITS RUSH HOUR AND PURE NONSENSE.

Other than that, a nice place to live. People here mind their own business, and pretty much leave you alone.

They have a SUPER GREAT TOURIST POLICE OFFICE HERE, and they are very nice when giving any help if you need it. Ask for Paul, and he is an Aussie and can speak multi languages. In fact he is a friend of mine here.

Oh you can buy cars here pretty decent too. Price very afforable. However be wary of the automotive repair shops, cause they are shaky at best.

The Tire shop (Shell) at Makro does a good job. Very courteous, and they do more than you ask or expect. I give them thumbs up and the tires priced at their promotions is really worth its money in gold.

As of the airport Duh??????? what can land on a 4,000 foot runway??? no terminal and no one on duty at the tower. :o:D

They have a train station here and a major Bus Terminal Station here.

The owner of the best Hotel here happens to be the Governor by the way.

Daveyo

I stayed there one night a few years ago. I went to buy old Thai Teak houses and made quite good money out of it.

If anyone wants to get into the business of finding them, photographing them and sending me pics & prices, I would be happy to give you some business. Im looking for a couple now as it happens. Nice little earner for someone. Let me know.

Is that to leave on-site or remove for relocation ?

removed and trucked to Phuket, then re assembled.

Tornado, isn't it illegal to move teak from one district to another? Or is there some legal way of doing it?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, yes you can move teak, but make sure you have a permit from the Forestry Department, cause if the highway boys stop ya, you will have a mess of explaining to tell without that permit.

Teak wood is prized wood here in Thailand. And it is getting in the protective stages now.

Most foreigners rent homes here, and some of them are married and have their own houses too. Rent for a house is around 2,000 baht on the average. In some cases they might hit you up to 4,000 but that is rare. Same for townhouses if you want to be in one of those Sauna homes. You can find a nice spiffy small one for around 1,500 Baht a month too. Usually just on the outskirts of the city itself.

I think living in the outskirts is much better than being squashed like a sardine with the people in Town. This is my opinion. If you need to do a visa run, you can go on the highway and head north to Mae Sot. Total time to do this visa run tops out 6 to 7 hours depending on your driving round trip. Reason of the hours is just going thru 80 Kilometers of mountains takes me 1 hour one way. Doing the visa walk and stamping on both sides takes you another hour. So really the highway itself is only 3 to 4 hours tops round trip. Best time to do this run is leave here around 4 AM and you arrive in Mae Sot around 6:30 to 7 am, and then leave Mae Sot around 8 AM and arrive back here around 10:30 to 11 AM . Doing it this way you avoid most traffic both ways. My Honday City uses a full tank of gas on this run. The mountains burn up a lot of that fuel for the most part.

Oh by the way don't bring Pop cans with you thru those mountains. They automatically decompress (inverted) and swooooooosh comes out your pop!!!!!!!!!! Plastic bottles much better, but open them from time to time to equalize the pressure altitude.

The foreigners are scattered all around town here. I bring my two dachshunds out to Big C and do my shopping with them in the cart. So if you see a shopping cart with 2 Dachshunds, then you will be seeing me either right there or near by it.

Other than that, Nakhon Sawan is OK to stay in, but trust me BEWARE of those motorbikes. There is so many here it is literally soon going to be called Motorcycle City.

Daveyo

Edited by DaveYo

• 4 weeks later...
The main town itself, is quite big and the standared Thai regional town, not very atractive, although Sawan Park is quite nice, the best hotel in town is the Piman Hotel, which also has the D'n"D Disco, which is'nt bad. I've never been out there in the night much as it's about 70 km away. There is a big "Big C" shopping center and an older one in the center called "Fairy Land" and a Macro just outside town so you can get most shopping stuff.

Is your GF family actually from the town, as Nakon Sawan is quite a big provence, if you will be staying somewhere else I'll try and give you a bit more info on that, but I'm not online much now :D

Hope that helps cheers RC

i agree with you ka

Bambi ( a NW girl ) :o

:o

hi,

myself and girlfriend are in chiang mia, she has family in Nakhon Sawon and we will be visiting in the next few months my question is,

is there any good places to go for a night out ie a good meal and a few beers?

are ther any large shopping areas?

i no nothing about the place so woul be gratefull for any replys.

• 1 month later...

Hello Everybody

My girlfriend comes from Lat Yao which is about 20 Km West of Nakon Sawan.

I visited her folks one day in May.

I've been considering a move to the area.

I come from Perth, Western Australia and I'm a semi retired dentist.

Does anyone know if they have dentists in Nakon Sawan?

If so are they busy?

Thanks

Another question:

Is there any other way to get to Nahkon Sawan other than by road?

My one trip in a taxi was one long boring ride with a few hair-raising

incidents which nearly had us involved in major crashes.

The main road itself was quite good but the traffic was horrendous

mainly big trucks bumper to bumper for miles on end.

What are the chances of chartering a Cessna to fly us in?

I noticed the Thai airlines don't go there

(maybe due to the short runway?)

I couldn't find any web links to charter airlines.

Cheers

Another question:

Cheers

The road is pretty busy and very bumpy in places. The traffic quietens down a lot after Auttaya. You can catch the train up to Nakorn from BKK, I belive they have lots evey day but it is slower than coming by road. There are no regular flights into Nakon airport (I belive its gov use) and I have no idea if you could charter a light plane, seems a really expensive way to go, as its only about 3 hrs by car. I live about 70km south of Nakorn (closer to BKK) so I can do BKK in 2 hrs on a good day, its never been worth me finding out much about flights as it would take me 40 min to get to Nakorn airport anyway.

RC

Another question:

Cheers

The road is pretty busy and very bumpy in places. The traffic quietens down a lot after Auttaya. You can catch the train up to Nakorn from BKK, I belive they have lots evey day but it is slower than coming by road. There are no regular flights into Nakon airport (I belive its gov use) and I have no idea if you could charter a light plane, seems a really expensive way to go, as its only about 3 hrs by car. I live about 70km south of Nakorn (closer to BKK) so I can do BKK in 2 hrs on a good day, its never been worth me finding out much about flights as it would take me 40 min to get to Nakorn airport anyway.

RC

:o RC is right, the best and safest way is by train because there is no hassle with the trucks and 'idiot" drivers that think they are at a "grand prix" No planes only for military use.

Another question:

Cheers

RC

:o RC is right, the best and safest way is by train because there is no hassle with the trucks and 'idiot" drivers that think they are at a "grand prix" No planes only for military use.

I think the trains are a "must" for the real Thailand experience. They're not real fast, but the ones I've taken keep pretty close to schedule, and they are very inexpensive. And the food and drink vendors walk up and down the aisles the whole time.

Other than a bus or hire car, the best alternative I know of is to pay for a seat on one of the little minivan bus services that are all over the place. Pretty cheap but no real schedule and you risk getting crammed in, like 16 people in a 12 seat van.

:D

Edited by Spee

Nakhon Sawan fellas, take a break from your busy lifetyles and go visit the NSC Sports Hotel's olympic swimming pool -- that is, if you haven't already done so. :o

Lap swimming in the mornings .... have the pool to yourselves. Evenings, there are quite a few kids jumping around; good place to hang out anyway after a swim, have a beer and a meal. The restaurant food is better than average.

Some great driving country -- silence so silent ( :D ) -- between the main highway & Tak Fa, about 70 Km south of Nakhon city.

Love it!

Nakhon Sawan fellas, take a break from your busy lifetyles and go visit the NSC Sports Hotel's olympic swimming pool -- that is, if you haven't already done so.  :D

Lap swimming in the mornings  .... have the pool to yourselves.  Evenings, there are quite a few kids jumping around; good place to hang out anyway after a swim, have a beer and a meal. The restaurant food is better than average.

Some great driving country -- silence so silent ( :D ) -- between the main highway &  Tak Fa, about 70 Km south of  Nakhon city.

Love it!

Been to the NSC but never stayed there, looks nice (better than the Piman IMO) but a bit out of town, you'd need a car I think.

I know the road from Nakorn to Tak fa very well :o

Edited by RamdomChances