British Couple Fights Bangkok Airport Extortionists

george

These stories crop up periodically with varying sorts of issues involved. It often seems the KP help will slip some small item in the bag as you are paying - something that could be interpreted as a complimentary gift. Then you get stopped, the bag inspected, the receipt inspected - and you appear to have stolen some small item. I believe the going rate for this scam is 30k - 50k baht.

This has been going on a long time but has gotten a lot worse at the new airport.

I discussed this with the wife on our last trip. As we left, we walked right down the center of the hall through the duty free area and never stopped or slowed down - just briskly and purposely walking looking straight ahead. It's a long walk, but you just don't want to be on video in the King Power shops.

Don't even stop to take the free samples of food tidbits.

kenk3z

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All.

At the very least King Power should just sack the staff involved,person who served them ,person on the till, all the staff if they want to run a clean shop, how come they are held 5 days?, Lawful or not?,AlsoI would think that the tourist police should go to,with loss of pension.

thats it for me, shall not be flying or reccomending flying to/from bangkok to my family and friends. Any travelling now will be done from samui/surrat thani/ phuket airport to KL and onwards to UK.

I really am beginning to be ashamed of this beautiful countries corruption and treatment of visitors....only yesterday i was told it was 400 baht for a TUK TUK to take me from chaweng to lamai at 1pm (about 9km and usually 50 baht) I laughed (though furious) and told him i didn't want to buy the tuk tuk.

It all makes me so sad for the honest traders and genuine nice locals i meet..... :)

Although it happend at a King Power store, there is no involvement of King Power itself. Let's not suggest it is or call for boycots etc.

well someone had to instigate the false theft claim... They won't get another Baht form me :)

The targets have previously been "big" targets who were cash-rich.

So, now we know why the government wants to lure 'quality tourists' The mask has slipped - Its to give the trusty BiB a 'bonus' every now and then.

Although it happend at a King Power store, there is no involvement of King Power itself. Let's not suggest it is or call for boycots etc.

Didn't know they are thai visa sponsors....

I correct my statement, it has now been proven they did not have anything to do with it :)

Lets hope that the Thai government and King Power act swiftly to this. They have a huge image problem with this and storries like this will hurt the tourism sector even more. I hope it will be reported in the Thai media as well.

Huh?

Sounds like it is the number one location for this scam.

do you have evidence otherwise?

This is not the first time people have been jailed under strange circumstances after visiting King Power
This is the sort of company king power are,

That's slanderous. I think unless you have something better than your cigarette anecdote and have evidence of company instigation of or acquiescence to any related activity you should take it back .

Seems to me the owner of Kingpower would be extremely upset about all this.

If I were the complainant I'd be straight on the blower to him.

Seems like he'd be the best person to get things done and get heads chopped if he were sent the relevant information.

John

John; As a TV member for several years, have you kept abreast of King Power and their slight of hand measurements, etc at Swampy? Your last sentence would seem naive at the least as Thailand seems to be a country that defies the law of gravity, 'sh t' (in this case money) does roll uphill. This can be readily verified by the division of fines, legal fees, bail monies, etc which some of the Thai authorities themselves have mentioned.

I correct my statement, it has now been proven they did not have anything to do with it :)

My remark was not entirely clear. Let me put it this way: Under Thai libel laws we can not allow that a company is being named and shamed. So let the company out of the discussion and don't suggest they are in on it.

Also our forum rules don't allow to call for a boycot of a certain company.

Two tourists are kidnapped by extortionists. They manage to escape, go to the embassy, and the embassy refuses help? Where does a person turn to for help when neither the BIB nor the embassy will assist? Thaivisa?

Two tourists are kidnapped by extortionists. They manage to escape, go to the embassy, and the embassy refuses help? Where does a person turn to for help when neither the BIB nor the embassy will assist? Thaivisa?
Sounds like the "Embassy" staff are also fed up with trying to change the "Thai way ".... :) ..

It appears that Andrew Drummond and talk radio rabble rousers are your best hope. :)

My remark was not entirely clear. Let me put it this way: Under Thai libel laws we can not allow that a company is being named and shamed. So let the company out of the discussion and don't suggest they are in on it.

I have 3 couples coming to Thailand over the next 2 months to visit and I for one will certainly be warning them to give this business a very wide berth. DON'T EVEN WALK IN TO LOOK AROUND!

I do hope you're kidding right?........If not shame on TV for not looking after it's members!

If you read my first post you will find out that i was just referring the previous reports here on thaivisa. Others have posted the links here so take a look.

Yes i posted a company name, just like it was posted by OP and almost every post in this thread. If you take my post being naming and shaming then you propably should ban the OP as well together with the paper that printed the story.

I did not call boycot, however i did write that i have declined their freebies for some time now.

Just for the record...

KEEP OUT OF THE DUTY FREE SHOPS. Then we wont be targets , unfortunately that will never happen, as there is always a tourist willing to pay higher than

street prices for what they buy. I would even go as far as saying some of the products are FAKE.

My own experiences of Buying from K-P eg, Marlborough Lights - NOTHING like what you can buy anywhere else and they remind me of the fakes you get at the borders such as Mae Sai . Smoking kills and a bad habit but those they sold to ME, surely would have helped me on my way to my coffin far sooner if I actually smoked more than 1 pkt. I actually put them in the bin. Thats how bad they were.

I would like to know who paid for the 5 days at the Hotel while the scam was running ? Who paid for the flight back to the UK after being forced from their original flight ? How did they come up with a large sum of money so quickly if detained at the hotel to pay them and possibly all the other expenses they incured ? Were they locked up in the hotel or have a security guard guarding them or were they really free to do what they wanted , including escape. The full story would be good.

Yes i remember the previous story as well. And yes this has been going on for some time now and King Power employees are in it.

It is usual that you get freebies when buying stuff. In a style "buy two of these and receive free of that". So you when you are at the cashier you get presented these "free gifts" that actually includes something you should pay for and the second you set your foot outside the shop there is copper waiting for you.

I have refused to accept any freebies there for a year now unless it is something that is clearly advertised in the shop.

This is precisely how the scam is perpetrated. The KP staff are part of the scam. Essentially you have to buy something to become a victim. Actually, the whole concept of an airport duty free shop being cheaper than other retailers is a scam in itself. These victims who buy from KP are unfortunately getting scammed twice.

Lets hope that the Thai government and King Power act swiftly to this. They have a huge image problem with this and storries like this will hurt the tourism sector even more. I hope it will be reported in the Thai media as well.

This goes to the heart of it.

King Power has huge clout, and even if their staff was not involved directly,

this makes many avoid ANY contact with King Power and other sales outlets.

K.P. has the clout to close down this scam operation if they think it hurts their bottom line enough.

And that folks is the ONLY bottom line recognized here...

In the mean time no back-packers, Thailand only wants 'Quality Targets'!

Edited by animatic

Maybe Thaivisa.com can ask it's contacts at 'The Nation' why they are not covering a Thai story that is already in the British press.

If 'The Nation' are not interested I think that will speak volumes of where their loyalties and investigative priorities lie.

King Power will only put a stop to this sort of scam when it is out in the public domain and starts to hurt their own bottom line.

This goes to the heart of it.

King Power has huge clout, and even if their staff was not involved directly,

this makes many avoid ANY contact with King Power and other sales outlets.

K.P. has the clout to close down this scam operation if they think it hurts their bottom line enough.

And that folks is the ONLY bottom line recognized here...

In the mean time no back-packers, Thailand only wants 'Quality Targets'!

I would go a bit further and say the King Power Duty Free has a duty (no pun here) to excise this problem. To us this is an exercise in blogging but to the victims it must be a nightmare. Some of those hundreds of smiling or sleeping employees I see working the stalls should be made aware of what is going on around them. I for one only look into a King Power shop from the small isle left for airline passengers to get to and from the planes. Suvarnabhumi should be classified as a mall and not an airport.

they always come up with new ideas to scam people,if they use their brains in right direction thailand will be much better and respectable place.this is no more land of smiles.i now confirm it as LAND OF SCAMS,i my self experienced small scams almost every day.

not so happy..... :)