British Couple Fights Bangkok Airport Extortionists

george

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this story does get more attention in the UK, it could well be followed up with other incidents of extortion from people in authority experienced by UK nationals - there's bound to be more than a few stepping forward.

Waiting to see how KP respond to this, if at all. Not another satang will be spent there until then.

Well, it looks like its finally getting some traction.

Both the Brits & Thais need to shape up.

An Embassy that blows off its taxpayers & residents might as well close its doors. Why else is it there?!

Oh, silly moi - to process documents and collect fees?! Not to assist it residents. Only when big government

steps in to protect its citizenry, will this chicanery end. Not a moment sooner.

That KP is not all over the shake-down artists is also pathetic - its not who is right or who is wrong - its what is right..

As reiterated previously - does nobody have any discipline?!

Or do the powers that be want Embassies to start issuing ''dont travel there'' bulletins.

Once this hits CNN & FOX, kiss tourism bye bye

BR>Jack

BTW - It would be interesting to see what would happen were they to do the same to one of us.

The douches prolly only pick on the lame embassies + somebody is checking for 'prospect' passports at KP

Another person added to not using KP anymore, and I will certainly warn any visitors that are coming to visit me here to stay away from their outlets. Nothing short of disgraceful from both KP and not surprisingly those lazy buffons at the British Embassy. :)

Shocking how the British Embassy offered them jack sh*t in the way of help ?????

From the article:

"The Foreign Office said consular officials had offered to raise the case with the Thai authorities at the time but had been asked by the couple not to intervene."

Shocking how the British Embassy offered them jack sh*t in the way of help ?????

From the article:

"The Foreign Office said consular officials had offered to raise the case with the Thai authorities at the time but had been asked by the couple not to intervene."

maybe the choice was to pay up now and get back home , or have the embassy approach and then get transferred to a normal jail for a couple of weeks while it was all sorted out ?

From the article:

Sounds like the FO is just trying to cover their backsides as usual! From the OP's post:-

"However, on April 27 they sneaked out of the hotel and found their way to the embassy, where they met Kate Dufall, the pro-consul.

According to the couple, she told them the embassy could not interfere with the Thai legal system and put them in contact with Prachaya Vijitpokin, a lawyer."

After the "It's Friday night, sod you mate, I'm off to the pub" episode regarding Simon Burrowes, I should think that the Consular staff at BKK are running round like scalded cats. Time a few of them were taken to the vets and put out of their misery!

Here's another family that will NEVER WALK in their shops again.

King Power have shot themselves in the foot once again. :D

Well Done. :D

I have forwarded this story too The Sun newspaper in the UK,lets see what they say about it??. :D

Oh well the tourist industry cannot get any worse now can it? :D

Well done !

And I hope it attracts the interest not just of the newspapers but maybe

it would make an interesting story on BBC " Panorama "........I mean

they could track down others who have innocently charged in the past and

they also could dig into and reveal the story behind the crappy " service " at the British Emabassy.

And even a casual mention on " Fastrack " just to stick the boot in.

B*stards....... :)

Johnathan Head from the BBC in Bangkok ..where are you ?

My remark was not entirely clear. Let me put it this way: Under Thai libel laws we can not allow that a company is being named and shamed. So let the company out of the discussion and don't suggest they are in on it.

Also our forum rules don't allow to call for a boycot of a certain company.

Mario is just doing his job and protecting TV from a potential libel suit.

But think about it-can you imagine this happening to some Thai citizens in the USA, and their expat board reminding them to refrain from naming and shaming the company that ripped them off? (and in this case actually kidnapped them) The previous statement was not a dig at TV, its just me shaking my head in disbelief of some of the ongoing scams by a small minority of dishonest Thais, yet the victims are supposed to accept their fate and not respond in any way.

Simply shameful!

I sincerely hope the western media makes this story a priority.

This is not the first time people have been jailed under strange circumstances after visiting King Power Duty Free. This is a company that ignores rules and laws and doubled their retail space simply by taking it over when Suvarnabhumi opened. They wanted to open another restaurant and quietly built a two story building next to the terminal without asking anyone's permission.

The couple may be guilty of theft but my gut says there is a different message here. Do not go near any of the King Power Duty Free shops. If you do you do so at your own risk. We all know the airport is full of criminals of all stripes yet because it is an airport with controlled space we feel a false sense of security. Saving a few Baht on cigarettes or alcohol is worth the risk?

I bet these people would not have the problems they had if they were shopping in Singapore's or Hong Kong's airports.

Absolutely. Staying away from them is the wisest thing to do. It serves two purposes. First, to play it safe. Second, the best way to get the message thru is to get them out of business (there is no way something like this can be done without the blessings of the shopowners). I am going to spread the word around at office, and that's like 20 potential customers per month lost for King Power!

As this is story is now about to become worldwide news, perhaps the first thing the Thai government should do is investigate this Sri Lankan chaps work permit. Why is a Sri Lankan involved in the Thai police / legal / translation system. Perhaps if he's leaned on they might find the identity of Mr Little Big Man. This Mr Rathnayaka is actively harming both Thailands tourist industry, and it's reputation abroad, he should be declared persona non grata, and shipped out ASAP, after the money taken by him from this British couple, has been removed from his Bank account.

Thailand MUST put a stop to this kind of extortion, tourist numbers have nosedived since last year, and with this sort of treatment of innocent holiday makers, is set to fall even further. The Tourist Police should, as a requirement of the job, be able to speak, read and write English to a good standard, as a minimum requirement. Otherwise what is the point of them?

As for the totally useless British Embassy, they are too concerned with enjoying the lifestyle here, at British taxpayers expense, than to actually provide a service to British citizens, who need their help. Still at least Ms Dufall, the pro-consul, lived up to her name, with the help she gave this couple. :)

The Ambassador should be demanding an answer to this couple's case, first thing Monday morning.

Finally King Power should investigate all of these accusations against their employees, taken action where necessary, and ensure this kind of thing never happens again on their premises. Failure to do so, should ensure that their contracts are revoked by the government, because in todays recession hit world, people will simply not come to a country where corruption is swept under the carpet.

However, this is Thailand.

Another loss ratcheted up for the country. This was extortion and kidnapping by any standards and Kate Dullard should be held to account personally. Problem for the couple in this is that many from the West look down at a man with an Asian wife. Some sort of clever reverse discrimination they have concocted over there. Get packing Kate as we want more from our embassy that you can give us.

Trouble is that Thais are like gambling addicts, they revel in the few tiny scam successes and don't take head of the massive losses when they occur. The country will lose a thousand times this amount with the bad publicity, but they will still marvel at their sucess at extracting that 8,000 pounds.

At least a good percentage of the Expat community have now seen this on Thai Visa. This means us, our families, any friends and subsequently any of their friends will verbally be warned off going into these places.... If they decide to come after this latest debacle.

KP and the Thai authorities will blame this on the foreigners (the Sri Lankan) make a song and dance and business as usual.

Suppose the TAT could always run a campaign to encourage more sex tourism. About the only thing they have left now they have shot their bold once more with the high end market. Well TAT, you get your bright young professional couples on hi incomes and this is what you do with them!!

Over 3,000 views already. If only we have seen this and only we take action that could be 3,000 customers lost.

Edited by grandpops

My remark was not entirely clear. Let me put it this way: Under Thai libel laws we can not allow that a company is being named and shamed. So let the company out of the discussion and don't suggest they are in on it.

Also our forum rules don't allow to call for a boycot of a certain company.

Mario is just doing his job and protecting TV from a potential libel suit.

But think about it-can you imagine this happening to some Thai citizens in the USA, and their expat board reminding them to refrain from naming and shaming the company that ripped them off? (and in this case actually kidnapped them) The previous statement was not a dig at TV, its just me shaking my head in disbelief of some of the ongoing scams by a small minority of dishonest Thais, yet the victims are supposed to accept their fate and not respond in any way.

Simply shameful!

I sincerely hope the western media makes this story a priority.

Thanks for your support.

On another note, we are discussing it here on Thaivisa. But do make a distinction between the employers and the company itself. In this case it wasn't the company that ripped them off, rather some employees together with some outsiders.

Another loss ratcheted up for the country. This was extortion and kidnapping by any standards and Kate Dullard should be held to account personally. Problem for the couple in this is that many from the West look down at a man with an Asian wife. Some sort of clever reverse discrimination they have concocted over there. Get packing Kate as we want more from our embassy that you can give us.

Trouble is that Thais are like gambling addicts, they revel in the few tiny scam successes and don't take head of the massive losses when they occur. The country will lose a thousand times this amount with the bad publicity, but they will still marvel at their sucess at extracting that 8,000 pounds.

At least a good percentage of the Expat community have now seen this on Thai Visa. This means us, our families, any friends and subsequently any of their friends will verbally be warned off going into these places.... If they decide to come after this latest debacle.

KP and the Thai authorities will blame this on the foreigners (the Sri Lankan) make a song and dance and business as usual.

Suppose the TAT could always run a campaign to encourage more sex tourism. About the only thing they have left now they have shot their bold once more with the high end market. Well TAT, you get your bright young professional couples on hi incomes and this is what you do with them!!

Over 3,000 views already. If only we have seen this and only we take action that could be 3,000 customers lost.

I think many peoiple have a misunderstanding what an embassy or consulate can do for you. They are not the police and can only direct to the local authorities and assist with finding a lawyer.

Offers to contact the Thai authorities in this case were declined by the couple themselves.

I can just see the TAT and police getting the disaster management book out about how to handle this.

Front up, announce an investigation. call the papers, tell them to get the story off the front page. Investigate for 6 months. Find nothing. Hope everyone forgets. Blame the drop in tourism on the strong baht. Case closed.

Seems they have used this book quite a lot in the last 6 months.

[On another note, we are discussing it here on Thaivisa. But do make a distinction between the employers and the company itself. In this case it wasn't the company that ripped them off, rather some employees together with some outsiders.

Where I come from companies are generally responsible for the actions of their employees if it is reasonable that they were or should have been aware of the problem.

Someone should stop this sort of thing rather than saying it is not their problem. Libel laws are a shield we must be careful of but this is only one of the many things that are happening that are affecting individual tourists and affecting the many good people in Thailand who will be hurt by drops in Tourism.

We can't just sweep them under the rug allways,

I think many peoiple have a misunderstanding what an embassy or consulate can do for you. They are not the police and can only direct to the local authorities and assist with finding a lawyer.

Offers to contact the Thai authorities in this case were declined by the couple themselves.

Wrong, sorry.

Embassies can and do provide shelter and refuge in times of great need. This was a kidnapping and the couple having been held by a gang that obviously had police involvement and maybe more took place with the bail hearing (we don't know this) probably made the right call in not getting involved with any more Thais.

It was the Embassy sending them back into this situation that caused the money to change hands. IMHO

Keep it up Thailand. Well done!

You'll put yourselves right back in the 3rd World before you know it.

mm eh? pardon me, but where else is it right now? :)

When the police can basically kidnap people in broad daylight and extort money but the courts exonerate you and everyone tries to shut up about it, that is somewhere close to Zimbabwe in terms of policing which puts it way below 3rd world standard.

The Sri Lankan man, if he works for the Sri Lankan embassy, may not need a work permit. Nationals of a country working for the Embassy of their own country, are covered under different laws. There are bilateral agreements between countries that cover these matters. Most embassy staff (non-diplomatic) are given a non-immigrant visa, but no work permit.

I think Embassies can and should do a lot more. Apart from their partying it is not interference in the affairs of another country to provide people in this situation with a complete lists of the number of times this kind of thing has been reported to them and the details of other cases so the persons lawyer can use it in court. It is not interfering for a consular representative to sit in the court and "observe". It is also not interferance for speedy and quick consular visits to be made to the person in custody (not just by belatedly sending local staff)

From the article:

That's plausible.

Sneak out of the hotel and travel to the British Embassy to ask to see someone in order to ask them not to do anything

Hello,

This is in the Sunday Telegraph a whole page dedicated to this. I do not know about the other British papers but at least its in major newspaper.

Sunday Times broke the story.

Hopefully the international TV news channels will start to carry it and then the Thai government probably has to do something.

The Sri Lankan man, if he works for the Sri Lankan embassy, may not need a work permit. Nationals of a country working for the Embassy of their own country, are covered under different laws. There are bilateral agreements between countries that cover these matters. Most embassy staff (non-diplomatic) are given a non-immigrant visa, but no work permit.

I hear what you're saying, Scott, but doesn't it seem ridiculous that a Sri Lankan is translating between Thai & English? The only reason I can see for Mr Rathnayaka's involvement, is so that Mr Little Big Man, can blame everything on him (a farang), when the brown stuff hits the fan, which has now happened.

I have had very little experience of the Tourist Police here, but their complete lack of even spoken English, in my experience, makes me wonder why anyone would go to them for help.

Sadly for Thailand, it seems to be one thing after another, damaging the tourist industry. In the meantime, other countries in the area, seem to be not only catching up, but starting to leave Thailand lagging behind.

The article does say that he is employed by the Sri Lankan embassy as an interpretter. The SL embassy in Bangkok is a small affair, and I doubt it employs full-time interpreters. Also, if it did employ this guy and was on an embassy sponsored visa etc, he wouldn't be allowed to do any free-lancing (unless, of course, the whole freelancing part was not legit to start with). He probably is trying to hide behind the embassy now that the cat is out. I'd check this guy's status with the embassy if I get a chance.

Just e-mailed the four biggest papers in Sweden about this story.

Since it's not a one time happening, this is extra interesting for countries who are a large share of the Thai travel market, i. e UK, Scandinavia, Germany etc.

Edited by Hawkup2000