British Couple Fights Bangkok Airport Extortionists

george

In every one of the people caught in the scams in which they are accused of theft

they are required to go to an ATM and withdraw money. So an ATM or a credit card

is required.But what if you do not have a card or your account has insufficient funds?

The only way is by to transfer the amount to the bank account of the "fixer". This means

that the victim has to contact his/her bank. An there is a record of a bank to bank transfer.

In effect they would have to be formally charged first and then decide what they are going

to do.

In all of the cases were they actually formally charged by the police? It would appear that

they were not charged only threatened with a long term of imprisonment if they did not pay.

And if they were not charged there would be no need for the letter from the police.

And if they were not formally charged there would be no bail money required.

All cash, no records,no receipts all the money transferred to the fixer,no direct link to the

police. The only records are a number of cash withdrawals from an ATM by the victims.

on their bank statements.

It would be interesting to know the exact statement of events given to the authorities in the

UK by the two British travellers, from the time they cleared passport control until the time

they were detained prior to boarding their flight to the UK. And times are important, what time were they detained? What time were they in the Duty Free shop in question? Does this time

match up with the time on the CCTV footage?

Until this information is available one will never get to the truth. Then compare this evidence with the Thai statements on what is known.

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope they do this to Thaksin when they catch him

Only Thaksin is allowed to be corrupt! Do as I say dont do as I do!

It's very doubtful if they will ever "catch him" officials already knew full well what he was upto before the coup, they do not want him back as there are far too many skeletons in the cupboard that could be exposed to a lot of peoples embarrassment, and if you think that Thai politics are not as corrupt now as before then I'm afraid you must be very naive or have your your head in the sand, if any Thai government wanted to stop all the corruption in the country they should look at the saying, Physician heal thyself.

I passed through the front line yesterday on my way home. Noticed that there was a KP employee stationed outside each duty free outlet facing towards the goods. I get the feeling that the company would like another arrest for shop lifting and more bad publicity,like they would welcome the plague. :)

I passed through the front line yesterday on my way home. Noticed that there was a KP employee stationed outside each duty free outlet facing towards the goods. I get the feeling that the company would like another arrest for shop lifting and more bad publicity,like they would welcome the plague. :)

I was talking to my Thai Mrs about this and she wonders why anybody even goes to these shops in the first place, they are more expensive than downtown.

Kinda defeats the purpose of it all really.

Time to bring Thaksin back - there is no discipline in Thailand anymore - from anyone.

BR>Jack

Would this be the same Thaksin who illegally sold KP the right to the Duty Free concession?

Thaksin, the King of King Power Scams, oh what about the xray machinery that was going into the new airport, how much did he plan to rake off them? Biggest scammer of them all.

• 3 months later...

Any more news on this?

I read on a travel website that this scam is allegedly still going on. The claim was two travelers were accused of shoplifting and one had to pay 20K and the other is out on 200k bail.

I posted the article but it was deleted.

They are already back in England, that is when THEY broke the news.

And paying bribes isn't a scam...it is a crime.

They should just have gone to jail instead of payed up and cried about it, then...

Edited by TAWP

Any more news on this?

I read on a travel website that this scam is allegedly still going on. The claim was two travelers were accused of shoplifting and one had to pay 20K and the other is out on 200k bail.

I posted the article but it was deleted.

I presume you're talking about this?

I will NEVER again enter the King Power store for any reason, Thank You for the warning!

Were you planning in stealing?

I must admit though, despite their somewhat obvious guilt, I am still very paranoid of King Power stores now. Last couple of trips through the airport I maintained a good distance from any of them. You really never know.

Having read this I've emailed my mates and told them to avoid entering or going anywhere near King Power.

There's no chance of doing anything about this dangerous scam because the Thais don't care and it's well down the wsih list of things to do - tomorrow.

Having read this I've emailed my mates and told them to avoid entering or going anywhere near King Power.

There's no chance of doing anything about this dangerous scam because the Thais don't care and it's well down the wsih list of things to do - tomorrow.

I hope you didn't read all 38 pages. There have to be better things to do.