BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  

getting back to the OP I've read that papaya are most susceptible to root rot in the first three months of their growth cycle after which they develop a certain amount of natural resistance to the disease. So maybe planting time could be of significance. 

This is interesting, I was told in Issan they don't plant in the wet season due to rot problems. Although I tend to think that if planted on a mound or raised bed with with a well drained soil then now could be a good time, as the soil would have enough moisture to support the young plant and get it well established.

I planted mine this time last year, some aren't looking so great now, but all those planted with plenty in soil with plenty of burnt rice husks are doing very well. We have rain almost daily for the lat 2 months.

When I saw this thread on papayas, I dug up an old article that I had saved on papayas and mechanical control as an alternative to "Genetically Modified" papayas to combat ringspot virus; it's got some interesting information.

It's from Bangkok Post food section October 30, 2004. "Passionate about Papayas"

I've only got a couple of trees right now, but I'm eating a fresh tree ripened papaya everyday and lovin it!

post-74166-1250867550_thumb.jpg

Edited by drtreelove

The latest issue of Thai Ag magazine has a big feature of papayas. There's some useful info, a lot of it about Holland variety. I'm wondering if this is a high yield variety that is best suited to chems, including pesticides, as a lot of the magazine is dedicated to controlling bugs and diseases, something I wouldn't have thought necessary as papaya seems fairly hardy.