Connection Settings For Dtac Gprs/edge Via Phone?

autonomous_unit

I haven't had a need to use GPRS in Thailand for several years, due to having ADSL at our place. However, I found yesterday that I can no longer get DTAC (pre-paid) to connect via my Linux laptop. I was able to change the one setting related to APN and test with my AIS SIM, so I know the phone and laptop work together, but despite the DTAC representative saying GPRS is enabled on our account, I had no luck.

For AIS, I used these settings which I had scribbled down in notes from years ago:

modem init (to set APN for AIS internet service): AT+CGDCONT=1,IP,"",202.183.255.20

dial string: *99***1#

With this, I could do "ifup gprs". When I change the modem init to this, also from my notes, it fails:

modem init (to set APN for DTAC internet service): AT+CGDCONT=1,IP,www.dtac.co.th

With this setting, I get the following short and unhelpful log messages:

pppd[26655]: Serial connection established.

pppd[26655]: Using interface ppp0

pppd[26655]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyACM0

pppd[26655]: PAP authentication succeeded

pppd[26655]: LCP terminated by peer (^E^@^@^J^@^@^@^@^@^@)

pppd[26655]: Hangup (SIGHUP)

pppd[26655]: Modem hangup

pppd[26655]: Connection terminated.

pppd[26655]: Exit.

This is with a Motorola L72, the only type of phone I have available anymore.

Ya not gonna like this answer - buy AIS again.

I had humungous probs with DTAC, even went to one of their Pattaya stores.

Could never get it to work.

A lot of SP dont care about data - simply want to go with the 80:20 rule of business. Voice only.

Of course, it might have changed - try a technical supervisor!!

BR>Jack

I made it work finally on Fedora 10, after a google search gave me a result page written in Thai (which I don't read) but with enough ASCII/english config file bits in it to jog my memory... I made two changes at once, so am not sure which one fixed it.

1. I edited the /etc/ppp/chap-secrets and /etc/ppp/pap-secrets files to use "dtac" as user and password instead of the previous value "dummy" that I had in there (which works everywhere else).
  2. I added these extra options to the /etc/ppp/peers/gprs file: noauth noipdefault noaccomp nopcomp novjccomp noccp

I think these changes could have been applied through the system-config-network utility via some of the connection editing tabs, but I didn't want to try it, as I recall it makes a mess of some of my other customized network settings for wireless etc. (because I'm old fashioned and do not use NetworkManager and its ilk).

(Edit: By the way, I have had mixed experience with both AIS and DTAC from previous long-term GPRS usage when we did not have ADSL yet. Now I am trying to make sure we can use either SIM as a backup so we can access whatever pre-paid credits we have on those existing SIMs...)

Edited by autonomous_unit

Good job on that fix; now the information is out there for other non-Thai speakers. It also lets me update my standard response (which is based on AIS GRPS/EDGE and states that you can use any old username/password). Of course I also like using wvdial.....