Nationwide Withdrawls

Apologies if this has been covered on here but just had a quick scan through past postings and couldn't find anything on it. If there is and I've missed it, please point me toward it gently, don't flame me, I've had a very frustrating day.

Last Thursday I tried to withdraw some money from a total of 4 ATMs only to be refused. I knew my account was way in the black so I telephoned Nationwide UK, who told me that I'd tried to withdraw an amount too close to the 300 pound limit. I assume that I'd in fact gone over the limit. Anyway, he unblocked the account and I thought nothing more of it until today when my card was refused again.

I again phoned Nationwide only to be told the same thing, that if any withdrawals in Thailand was considered to be too close to the daily limit, even though below it, the card would be blocked. I explained to her the situation here now regarding the 150 baht charge imposed by the local banks and she said that yes, Nationwide knew about it, but there was nothing they could do. I said that surely what they were doing was illegal; that it was my money I was attempting to withdraw; that they had a 300 pounds a day limit therefore if I remained below that limit, even by a few pounds, that they should abide by it and; how much I was permitted to draw before the block was put on. She said she didn't know, it was up to security department. I asked to speak to her supervisor but the said that she was the supervisor but there was still nothing that could be done.

So the situation with Nationwide as far as I can gather is this: you can make withdrawals here, but you have to guess an amount, realising that if you guess wrong, your card will be blocked. The 300 pound a day limit is meaningless.

I was lucky because I had my Halifax card with me and drew 15000 baht from the machine that refused my Nationwide card. No problems.

What really annoys me is that Nationwide have never mentioned anything about this restriction and it only seems to have begun in the last few weeks. They just let me find out for myself when my card was refused after a long drive to the machine. Nationwide seems to be going to hel_l in a handcart rapidly, they used to be such a good building society. Has Geoffrey Howe always been chairman?

Has anyone else had the same problem?

I drew out my £300 pound limit about 4 days ago. Since then not had to use it. Will be interesting to see if the card is blocked when I try to use it again.

Chris

Surely this shouldnt apply now that the GBP is at around the 55 baht mark, which would make drawing 15000 THB out only equalling £270 odd?

I can understand it if it were hovering around the 50 to the £ mark , but it seems a bit strange at the level it is now.

I doubt you have been told the full story by whoever you called, tbh

Penkoprod

I have become so sick of Nationwide blocking my card for apparently no reason, also 2 of my mates had the same thing. I cannot rely on Nationwide now so I have opened a moneybookers account online and I transfer money into my Kasikorn account, the money is in there in 3 days and I get charged less than 2 quid to do it, of course I don't have to pay for withdrawl from Kasikorn either.

Nationwide used to be good but a couple of months ago I was drawing a lot of money out and they kept blocking my card and their fraud dept isn't open 24 hrs either. Very frustrating when you need a lot of cash. Anyway, moneybookers has solved my problem for now, the nationwide card will be put on ice for a while.

I cannot rely on Nationwide now so I have opened a moneybookers account online and I transfer money into my Kasikorn account, the money is in there in 3 days and I get charged less than 2 quid to do it, o

That will prove a worthy alternative to Swift/BACS transfers

Care to go into some more details about things like ease of transfer between them and K-Bank, and if they transfer it as Sterling, or do you take the hit on it being converted to either € or TBH before it gets transfered?

*Edit

I just looked at their fees for both uploading funds and withdrawing them..............STEEP to say the least, if i am reading it right

Penkoprod

Edited by Penkoprod

I have become so sick of Nationwide blocking my card for apparently no reason, also 2 of my mates had the same thing. I cannot rely on Nationwide now so I have opened a moneybookers account online and I transfer money into my Kasikorn account, the money is in there in 3 days and I get charged less than 2 quid to do it, of course I don't have to pay for withdrawl from Kasikorn either.

Nationwide used to be good but a couple of months ago I was drawing a lot of money out and they kept blocking my card and their fraud dept isn't open 24 hrs either. Very frustrating when you need a lot of cash. Anyway, moneybookers has solved my problem for now, the nationwide card will be put on ice for a while.

Interesting i am just looking at their site, just a question when you send money to your Thai bank do you have to quote a swift number i just ask this cos in the demo it says email or worldwide account number but makes no mention of a swift Number

Thankd n advance

TB

I cannot rely on Nationwide now so I have opened a moneybookers account online and I transfer money into my Kasikorn account, the money is in there in 3 days and I get charged less than 2 quid to do it, o

Care to go into some more details about things like ease of transfer between them and K-Bank, and if they transfer it as Sterling, or do you take the hit on it being converted to either € or TBH before it gets transfered?

Penkoprod

It was very easy, just open an account online and verify a switch card or bank account in the UK, doesn't take more than a couple of days. Then add Kasikorn account number and sort code as one of your accounts. You upload money free into the account. Then you withdraw to your Kasikorn account and thats it. When I sent 400 GBP I was charged 1.54 GBP to do so. I don't know the exact rate I got as I haven't checked a Kasikorn statement yet but it worked out around the 55Bt mark so I am just happy for a fast easy transaction that I can do without contacting the bank and getting charged 25 quid.

Some link info here on rates for moneybookers Rates for transfers

Edited by TexasRanger

Penkoprod

It was very easy, just open an account online and verify a switch card or bank account in the UK, doesn't take more than a couple of days. Then add Kasikorn account number and sort code as one of your accounts. You upload money free into the account. Then you withdraw to your Kasikorn account and thats it. When I sent 400 GBP I was charged 1.54 GBP to do so. I don't know the exact rate I got as I haven't checked a Kasikorn statement yet but it worked out around the 55Bt mark so I am just happy for a fast easy transaction that I can do without contacting the bank and getting charged 25 quid.

Some link info here on rates for moneybookers Rates for transfers

Many thanks or that helpful info and the link i shall definitely be opening one in the next few days.

Regards

TB

Our nieces are still using the N/W red card for withdrawals and as long as they take the dosh out of UOB atms they are still getting the whole transaction for FREE.

We are trying to open another couple of the same red debit cards but N/W rules state that its only for customers who dont meet the standard/basic requirements ...only for debits ...so looks like we will just continue with the one...MKjai.

Our nieces are still using the N/W red card for withdrawals and as long as they take the dosh out of UOB atms they are still getting the whole transaction for FREE.

We are trying to open another couple of the same red debit cards but N/W rules state that its only for customers who dont meet the standard/basic requirements ...only for debits ...so looks like we will just continue with the one...MKjai.

I got one.

I converted one of my Nationwide Visa cards to CIRRUS. Just need to find a helpful employee who knows how to 'downgrade' the card.

I've posted on this before but here we go again. Why oh why do you not make a VISA withdrawal at an exchange booth?. (OK may be it's after hours but surely you don't need that much immediately at 10 at night?). That way the limit is much higher (I don't know what it is with Nationwide but I pulled 100,000 baht from them using this method a few weeks ago, but I do know that from my US Bank it is $7000). You'll need your passport but that's the only disadvantage. And before someone jumps on the "cash advance credit charge" wagon I am of course referring to VISA/MC linked debit cards, not credit cards. The money comes straight out of your account. Easily the best way to go if you need a substantial amount of cash

Regarding Money Bookers, I will be interested to hear confirmation of the exchange rate obtained. I opened an account with them but haven't used it yet, because the rate I was quoted over the phone seemed poor. What I found confusing is that the rate on the website seemed quite good but carries a note saying that this is indicative and customers should phone for the rate on that day. I did so and found the rate given for £400 (I said I would transfer that amount per month) was about 3 baht per pound less that the Bangkok Bank rate that day (think it was about 52 a month or two ago) I half wondered later if this was a mistake, so I will be interested to hear real-world experiences.

Regarding Money Bookers, I will be interested to hear confirmation of the exchange rate obtained. I opened an account with them but haven't used it yet, because the rate I was quoted over the phone seemed poor. What I found confusing is that the rate on the website seemed quite good but carries a note saying that this is indicative and customers should phone for the rate on that day. I did so and found the rate given for £400 (I said I would transfer that amount per month) was about 3 baht per pound less that the Bangkok Bank rate that day (think it was about 52 a month or two ago) I half wondered later if this was a mistake, so I will be interested to hear real-world experiences.

I may well be reading the site wrongly, but their charges seem about the same as the ATM fee of aound £3 to me. Plus the rate might be poor

What the sender pays

Account creation FREE

Money transfer fee Max €0.50 / £0.50

Funding option

- By bank account FREE

- By debit or credit card 1.9%

What the recipient pays

Account creation FREE

Receiving money FREE

Withdrawing the received funds

- To a bank account €1.80 / £1.80

- To a Visa card €1.80 / £1.80

- By cheque €3.50 / £3.50

Dont look so great once those are taken into account

But, like i say i might be reading things into it that are not applicable

Penkoprod

Here is what you do with all of these sort of people; banks, phones, services etc.

You write them a letter stating that as of XYZ date you will treat any interruption to the service for which you are paying as a chargeable event and that each and every act you are required to take to assist in restoring the status quo will be chargeable at ABC per hour.

That means every telephone call is a billable hour minimum as is any email you need to send etc.

They will write back stating that they do not accept such and babble on about all manner of things. You can ignor anything they send save for curtailing your services (for which you can sue them). The pojt is that they have your letter on file, delivered by recorded delivery and as such, it forms the start of a legal timeline.

So when you find they have screwed up, as they invariably will, you bill them. Simple as that. They refuse, often referring to their previous correspondence. You counter with a request for payment within 30 days or you will take them to court. The Small Claims Court that is.

They will bluster about arbitration but you refer back again stating that every hour you have to expend, including arbitration, just pushes up the bill. Quicker to settle now or get the court to decide.

In essence, the bean counters work out that going to court will cost them far more than you are claiming and as such, it is in the interests of their shareholders to settle the matter. Most do this just before you get to court but after a date has been set etc.

As for your hourly rate, well that is not just your weekly wage divided by 35 or 40. A lawyer who charges £200 an hour is not expected to be charging 40 hours a week. For regular people, think in terms of what tradespeople charge and think how your position is relative to them. If you are an accountant, then bill as one, not as you earn.

Though it doesn't stop them screwing up completely, it does make them aware that they will have to answer some questions if they muck up again.

I got one.

I converted one of my Nationwide Visa cards to CIRRUS. Just need to find a helpful employee who knows how to 'downgrade' the card.

Thats the Idea....Good one... :)

in reference to withdrawal from atm:

there seems to be a withdrawal limit set by the atm-owners, in addition to the ones imposed by

your own bank or the withdrawal limited personally selected by you.

i was able to withdraw from atm 15,000 usd in hkg but i was rejected by all major thai bank owned

atm in thailand--all displaying on screen message such as, contact the issuing bank.... lol

currently in thailand i was able to withdraw only 40,000 baht each day, not each transaction either.

whenever there is a need for more, i need to approach the bank teller who would go thru the

imprinting routine. most tellers were friendly but a few were different acting as if they were

protecting their money rather than giving us our money.... lol

try a different bank and/or a different atm machine, you may get the amount you want. good luck.

and THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR VISITING/STAYING/LIVING IN THAILAND.... honestly!

and from the bottom of my heart as well.... !

I have 2 Nationwide debit cards and used both yesterday to withdraw 16500THB from each account. No problems.

I normally go into the branch and withdraw larger amounts to cover several months expenditure. Two weeks ago withdrew 600kbaht using my Nationwide Debit Card, no charges at either end

I use the yellow cash point machine"s from memory I think bank of Ayudhya never been charged 150 baht

Why not just take out 1,000 less baht - I don't understand the complaint.

The complaint is that the bank has a 300 pound per day withdrawal limit and without any warning whatever, blocked my card for trying to take out 15,000 baht, which I've been doing for a while now without a hitch. Also, how do I know that they won't block it again if I attempt to withdraw 14,000? The lady I spoke to in the Nationwide Swindon office couldn't tell me how much I could draw, which is ridiculous. I'm composing a letter of complaint at the moment and until I get a satisfactory reply to it, I'll be using my HBOS card. Although the cost of withdrawals will be higher, I'll be making less of them therefore I'll be paying less to the banks here.

This isn't the first time I've had problems with them in my 2 1/2 years in Thailand, once they blocked my card because I was using it too much, another time because I wasn't using it. Once it was blocked for no apparant reason.

Everyone knows about the ATM fraud situation in Thailand and I for one fully agree that the banks have to be careful, but this seems to me to be a step too far.

The 'branch' please??

Bangkok Bank Thapea Gate, Chiang Mai

Thanks I have been with Bangkok Bank for 3 years and NW for many years more.

I will try this at Si Thep (Petchabun)

Will have to brush up on my spoken Thai skills as not much English spoken in the Bank there.

Apologies if this has been covered on here but just had a quick scan through past postings and couldn't find anything on it. If there is and I've missed it, please point me toward it gently, don't flame me, I've had a very frustrating day.

Last Thursday I tried to withdraw some money from a total of 4 ATMs only to be refused. I knew my account was way in the black so I telephoned Nationwide UK, who told me that I'd tried to withdraw an amount too close to the 300 pound limit. I assume that I'd in fact gone over the limit. Anyway, he unblocked the account and I thought nothing more of it until today when my card was refused again.

I again phoned Nationwide only to be told the same thing, that if any withdrawals in Thailand was considered to be too close to the daily limit, even though below it, the card would be blocked. I explained to her the situation here now regarding the 150 baht charge imposed by the local banks and she said that yes, Nationwide knew about it, but there was nothing they could do. I said that surely what they were doing was illegal; that it was my money I was attempting to withdraw; that they had a 300 pounds a day limit therefore if I remained below that limit, even by a few pounds, that they should abide by it and; how much I was permitted to draw before the block was put on. She said she didn't know, it was up to security department. I asked to speak to her supervisor but the said that she was the supervisor but there was still nothing that could be done.

So the situation with Nationwide as far as I can gather is this: you can make withdrawals here, but you have to guess an amount, realising that if you guess wrong, your card will be blocked. The 300 pound a day limit is meaningless.

I was lucky because I had my Halifax card with me and drew 15000 baht from the machine that refused my Nationwide card. No problems.

What really annoys me is that Nationwide have never mentioned anything about this restriction and it only seems to have begun in the last few weeks. They just let me find out for myself when my card was refused after a long drive to the machine. Nationwide seems to be going to hel_l in a handcart rapidly, they used to be such a good building society. Has Geoffrey Howe always been chairman?

Has anyone else had the same problem?

i had the same problem a couple of weeks ago and no one could tell me why i was being blocked even though i had sufficient funds.

also had major problems with internet banking, it was blocked claiming i was putting in the wrong security info, you dont keep making mistakes.

i reregistered four times. two of the letters with new pass number,never arrived, the third was not accepted. finally back online now, though weary every time i sign on.

have now got a thai bank account so i will probably be closing nationwide unless their swift charges are good.

santander/abbey have a no fee card coming out soon, check their website.

Here is what you do with all of these sort of people; banks, phones, services etc.

You write them a letter stating that as of XYZ date you will treat any interruption to the service for which you are paying as a chargeable event and that each and every act you are required to take to assist in restoring the status quo will be chargeable at ABC per hour.

That means every telephone call is a billable hour minimum as is any email you need to send etc.

They will write back stating that they do not accept such and babble on about all manner of things. You can ignor anything they send save for curtailing your services (for which you can sue them).

I think you'll find that, in the UK at least, banks have the legal right to close an account any time they want. They're not forced to do business with you.

Edited by endure

I have 2 Nationwide debit cards and used both yesterday to withdraw 16500THB from each account. No problems.

I normally go into the branch and withdraw larger amounts to cover several months expenditure. Two weeks ago withdrew 600kbaht using my Nationwide Debit Card, no charges at either end

Do you just go to an ordinary banking counter or do you have to make arrangements firts?

It may have no transactions fee but it has 27.9% interest on cash transactions payable from the date of the transaction.

It may have no transactions fee but it has 27.9% interest on cash transactions payable from the date of the transaction.

Yes, be sure to distinguish between DEBIT cards (which have been the subject of extensive debate vis-a-vis the 150 Baht ATM charge) and a CREDIT card that attracts punative rates of interest from the point of sale (ATM) and should only be used in dire emergency.

Having the same Nationwide ATM "access to account denied" problems here.

Successfully withdrew 16,000 baht one afternoon and tried again the next afternoon only to be greeted with the "contact card-issuing bank" message Grrrrrrr.

Tried again 2 days later, then OK. The uncertainty makes you want to scream.

Glad to know it's not just me who has been singled out though :) .