Tips At Gay Massage Parlor?

Hi, I've never been to any of the gay male massage parlors. However, on my next visit I thought I might try one. Im intererested in the massage only.. No extras. For a massage without "extras" would I still be expected to tip the masseur? If so, how much would be a fair tip? Are all the massage places about the same? Thanks for your feedback.

The massage boy getting stuck with a customer who only wants a massage is not a happy chappie. If you do just want a massage try the Ambassador Hotel fitness centre, where you can get away with a tip of around 500bt for no sex. Otherwise, even without the sex you should be tipping at least 500 (and at a gay massage place they won't be happy with that). Some gay massage places specify the minimum tip, which usually starts at 500bt, but they expect more.

Not all places are the same - some have some very hunky guys, some have younger and girlie guys, some have a nice mix. Try one of the gay websites to get an idea of some of the venues.

The massage boy getting stuck with a customer who only wants a massage is not a happy chappie. If you do just want a massage try the Ambassador Hotel fitness centre, where you can get away with a tip of around 500bt for no sex. Otherwise, even without the sex you should be tipping at least 500 (and at a gay massage place they won't be happy with that). Some gay massage places specify the minimum tip, which usually starts at 500bt, but they expect more.

Not all places are the same - some have some very hunky guys, some have younger and girlie guys, some have a nice mix. Try one of the gay websites to get an idea of some of the venues.

Out where I live- the edge of Bangkok- the hourly rate is 200B, and I usually tip 50-100B on top of that depending on how good the massage is (normal non-sexual massage, to be clear).

Tipping 500B for a normal massage just sounds cuckoo- but maybe that's normal in the wonderful world of expat tourism. Recommend you get out and around a bit more on your next visit.

Nearly all massage venues with male employees are 'gay' to some extent- and I don't like distinguishing commercial sex venues by referring to them as 'gay' instead of 'normal.' They are sex shops, not gay shops.

I get massages regularly in Silom, Pratunam and Ratchathewi areas. I just ask for a man, and half of them are gay. I usually talk to them about my boyfriend and ask about theirs, so I learn which have wives and which have boyfriends, or are looking for one. About 30% of the time they get sexy with me, sometimes a grope, sometimes more. I usually tip 100 baht -- if the massage is good. I do not ask for sex, and I do not feel any obligation to give a big tip if there is any extra service involved. These extra services seem quite voluntary on the part of the massage boys. Although a Thai person would not let me know they were disappointed by my tip, I am often given names and phone numbers and asked to return. When I do, they are always friendly.

Twice I have given my phone number to a massage boy I connected with, and have regretted it both times. Although they were nice, they did not seem to care that I had a boyfriend, and pestered me to come and see them. I don't give my phone number out any more.

I have never been to a "gay" massage parlor, except once in Chiang Mai. I paid 1,500 baht for a good massage, but nothing remotely sexual happened. I have had a similar experience with a spa treatment at Apsara Spa on Silom, though I don't think of that as a "gay" establishment.

I have heard that Babylon hires only "straight" massage boys. I do not know that for sure, but I see many of them with their wives and girlfriends at the noodle stand just after work, still in their uniforms. The one man I know who works there is "straight", but I know he earned extra money from the farang in the neighborhood at his previous job.

I'm sorry to interrupt an interesting thread, but it is my duty to remind everyone that we can't discuss the specifics of access to prostitution- it is only recently that this forum has allowed any topic that even touched on prostitution, so I feel that we need to be a bit more circumspect in order to keep this relative freedom.

• 2 weeks later...

Out where I live- the edge of Bangkok- the hourly rate is 200B, and I usually tip 50-100B on top of that depending on how good the massage is (normal non-sexual massage, to be clear).

Tipping 500B for a normal massage just sounds cuckoo- but maybe that's normal in the wonderful world of expat tourism. Recommend you get out and around a bit more on your next visit.

Nearly all massage venues with male employees are 'gay' to some extent- and I don't like distinguishing commercial sex venues by referring to them as 'gay' instead of 'normal.' They are sex shops, not gay shops.

Sorry to interrupt and pls correct me if I am wrong or misunderstood.

How can you imply that "gay" is not "normal" ? Not normal means abnormal. It's an insult to all gays.

Sorry I wasn't so happy to see my own thread being closed without even recommended to the classified sections.

^If you read my post carefully, you will discover that you and I are in complete agreement. That is why I don't like to call massage shops which employ gay workers as sex workers "gay massage shops." That implies that a gay place is one where prostitution occurs. Other, normal massage shops have plenty of gay workers- if that's somehow important for a normal massage.

I think you need to read the forum rules carefully. Comments on moderation in the public forum are not allowed. If you have a question or concern about moderation (especially if it is not related to a topic on which you are posting), you should send a PM to a moderator.

• 2 weeks later...

"Recommend you get out and around more on your next visit?" Where did I say I was a tourist - I've lived here for 12 years. Being mean with the locals has never been part of my approach to life here. Most of my friends who live here, tip around the same. Different circles, obviously.

• 4 weeks later...

As mentioned above, there are some more obvious gay massage places that are often advertised as such on various websites. They require a minimum tip of 500 baht, but do expect more than that.

If you want a traditional thai massage from a guy, that's no problem. There are many massage places all over Bangkok that provide just massages. And many of these employ male masseurs, particularly around Silom. It's no problem to ask for a male masseur. 50-100 baht is a fair tip for an hour massage.

Yes, sometimes a masseur in these traditional massage places will become a bit friendlier than usual during the massage. Then it will be up to you how much you tip, although as suggested above, if it's initiated by the masseur and you oblige, you don't need to tip any extra in my opinion.

Enjoy!

As mentioned above, there are some more obvious gay massage places that are often advertised as such on various websites. They require a minimum tip of 500 baht, but do expect more than that.

If you want a traditional thai massage from a guy, that's no problem. There are many massage places all over Bangkok that provide just massages. And many of these employ male masseurs, particularly around Silom. It's no problem to ask for a male masseur. 50-100 baht is a fair tip for an hour massage.

Yes, sometimes a masseur in these traditional massage places will become a bit friendlier than usual during the massage. Then it will be up to you how much you tip, although as suggested above, if it's initiated by the masseur and you oblige, you don't need to tip any extra in my opinion.

Enjoy!

Best advice so far..!! :)

To be perfectly honest if you're not looking for a "happy ending" or whatever you may as well go to a normal massage place.

One of my wife's concerns is a traditional Thai massage place with a couple of young straight male masseuses. These guys are fully trained and certified and (according to the feedback she gets from Thai and westerners alike) one of them gives the best massage her guests have ever had.

I'm more than willing to be corrected by the more knowledgeable members on this part of the forum (seeing as I'm heterosexual) but I would have thought that a therapist at a gay massage place would be more skilled in the extras and less in the skill of giving a proper Thai massage. Plus as has been pointed out it's the cost. My wife's place charges 270 baht for a 2 hour traditional massage and if you tip her staff 100 baht they're pleased as punch.