Nicest Car You Ever Owned.

Yes the E36 M3 in America was tuned down... a concept those in Thailand should be able to understand very well.

The E46 M3 is not tuned down, thankfully.

Any how, the E36 American version does 0-60 in around 5.4 seconds and tops out at 150 mph. Where it lacks in hp, it makes up in torque. I am just fine with the little ol' American version at 27+ mpg, it is kinda hard to complain.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes the E36 M3 in America was tuned down...  a concept those in Thailand should be able to understand very well.

Any how, the E36 American version does 0-60 in around 5.4 seconds and tops out at 150 mph.  Where it lacks in hp, it makes up in torque.    I am just fine with the little ol' American version at 27+ mpg, it is kinda hard to complain.

You've got better roads than us in the Uk too , any pics?

:o

• 3 weeks later...
Best I have ever owned, BMW M3, Best I have ever driven BMW M3

Here here!

I had a '93 cosmos black example for a couple of years and then later bought a '97 estoril blue evo with silver leather trim........near perfect car. shame uk does not have perfect roads. great memories of these cars

Question, can I import it to Thailand?  (Left Hand Drive, 240 (stock) hp)

easy enough i think. import taxes in total will be about 180,000 on an example valued at £6000 GBP that is no younger that 1996

anyway, dont take my word for it!

go do the math:

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Perso...Nme=PersonalPer :o

Yes the E36 M3 in America was tuned down...  a concept those in Thailand should be able to understand very well.

Any how, the E36 American version does 0-60 in around 5.4 seconds and tops out at 150 mph.  Where it lacks in hp, it makes up in torque.    I am just fine with the little ol' American version at 27+ mpg, it is kinda hard to complain.

I've never actually owned a car..haha..always seems to be one handy.

I love the new E46 body shape. In LOS my wife owns a 330ci coupe, E46 body shape, with full factory MSport kit on it.Not quite the M3, but in my opinion the next best 3 series coupe.Sometimes I take it for a blat on the tollways and ring roads...gotta love that German engineering. I was toying with the idea of putting a Harmon kit on it, but I've sorta lost interest.

I love the new E46 body shape. In LOS my wife owns a 330ci coupe, E46 body shape, with full factory MSport kit on it.Not quite the M3, but in my opinion the next best 3 series coupe.Sometimes I take it for a blat on the tollways and ring roads...gotta love that German engineering. I was toying with the idea of putting a Harmon kit on it, but I've sorta lost interest.

E46 330 CI I beleive was tuned down in Thailand. I bet it would be easy to bring it up in power. This is something we owners of the American version M E36 do very often. You replace the chip with a "sport" chip, add a better air intake system, for a gain of 15-20 hp. Which still does not place an American M E36 in hp range of the Euro model. But it sure does make one smile when you feel all of that torque. The real problem is, when you do this (at least in my case) you have to always use high octane gas.... and gas is getting crazy out of hand expensive.

I have ridden in the E46 American version... it was very close to what an M E36 can deliver. But heavier, that is for sure. Over all, a very nice car.

Yep, those Germans can build a car!

Edited by Dakhar

E46 330 CI I beleive was tuned down in Thailand.  I bet it would be easy to bring it up in power.  This is something we owners of the American version M E36 do very often.  You replace the chip with a "sport" chip, add a better air intake system, for a gain of 15-20 hp.  Which still does not place an American M E36 in hp range of the Euro model.  But it sure does make one smile when you feel all of that torque. The real problem is, when you do this (at least in my case) you have to always use high octane gas....  and gas is getting crazy out of hand expensive.

I have ridden in the E46 American version...  it was very close to what an M E36 can deliver. But heavier, that is for sure. Over all, a very nice car.

Yep, those Germans can build a car!

Her car has the MSport kit on it, which adds horsepower and torque. Chipping it would be the next logical step. I wonder how much supercharging it in LOS would cost ?

The photo reminded me that my favorite car ever was a 1961 Volkswagen that my Dad got me when I turned 16 and got my first diver's license in 1965. Lived in Southern Cal then and it had a surf rack permanently bolted to the roof. Great lazy days.... :D

That one is a 1964 1300 :D

Nice one Dave. :o

How does she go?

Very nice, I'm really pleased with it. :D

Here's a pic

beetle_3.sized.jpg

Bought in Pattaya for 130000bht.

Fully re-wired already, all i've done is stripped and re-built the engine and checked brakes etc, Also i've re-chromed it all and when i've got the cash i will do the inside up, re spray it etc etc.

Need to order some new parts from abroad though. :o

Edited by davethailand

One of my best friends has a collection that includes a 1961 Bettle sunroof. He says these kinds of lists are affected more by our great early memories of that time in our lives.

So, my favorites have to be

Austin-Healey 100-6 roadster with the Chevrolet Corvette 283 V-8 installed

(Renault) Alpine convertible

1966 Chevrolet Corvair Corsa convertible (or the 1964 Chev.Corv. Spyder)

One of my best friends has a collection that includes a 1961 Bettle sunroof.  He says these kinds of lists are affected more by our great early memories of that time in our lives.

Have to agree. Of course, time bends memory, so we need some hooks to keep us grounded. Maybe nothing better than the wheels that got us where we wanted to go.

Her car has the MSport kit on it, which adds horsepower and torque. Chipping it would be the next logical step. I wonder how much supercharging it in LOS would cost ?

Over here, the M-packadge means a M tuned suspension, M rims, M gear shift... basically everything, but the M-power plant. The engined is not tweaked at all. My father has a 2002 530IS with the M packadge. So it has a stiffer ride, and the other M parts... but no power plant.

To super charge an E36 M3 here in the states will rund a good 7-10K USD. The low price is for the parts alone. I have to admitt... costly, but once done correctly.... you would have a trully untouchable vehicle. Not even the new E46 M3 could hang.....

But you would need a 6th gear in order to reach the full potential of a super charged E36 M3 (or even a non supercharged M3 E36).... which is something the American version did not come with!!!!! Bummer.

Over here, the M-packadge means a M tuned suspension, M rims, M gear shift...  basically everything, but the M-power plant. The engined is not tweaked at all. My father has a 2002 530IS with the M packadge.  So it has a stiffer ride, and the other M parts... but no power plant.

To super charge an E36 M3 here in the states will rund a good 7-10K USD.  The low price is for the parts alone.  I have to admitt...  costly, but once done correctly....  you would have a trully untouchable vehicle. Not even the new E46 M3 could hang.....

But you would need a 6th gear in order to reach the full potential of a super charged E36 M3 (or even a non supercharged M3 E36)....  which is something the American version did not come with!!!!!  Bummer.

There's a supercharged M5 E39 in the Uk , 500 bhp apparently , and they're talking about nitrous next!

Mental :o

Over here, the M-packadge means a M tuned suspension, M rims, M gear shift...  basically everything, but the M-power plant. The engined is not tweaked at all. My father has a 2002 530IS with the M packadge.  So it has a stiffer ride, and the other M parts... but no power plant.

Thats interesting, I didn't know that. Why do they down spec them in LOS as opposed to say Auss or NZL ? I'd presume it has to do with the taxes ? ie: more powerful engines attracting higher duties ?

To super charge an E36 M3 here in the states will rund a good 7-10K USD.  The low price is for the parts alone.   I have to admitt...  costly, but once done correctly....  you would have a trully untouchable vehicle. Not even the new E46 M3 could hang.....

But you would need a 6th gear in order to reach the full potential of a super charged E36 M3 (or even a non supercharged M3 E36)....  which is something the American version did not come with!!!!!   Bummer.

There's a supercharged M5 E39 in the Uk , 500 bhp apparently , and they're talking about nitrous next!

Mental :o

Saw the new M5 getting a spin on Jeremy Clarkson's new show on BBC...what a weapon !!