A Little Unconventional

moebius

Sawadii krab

I'm curious how stringent the requirements for work permit, staying and working in Thailand are.

Our situation:

We are both expats. :o

She (Singaporean) has been working in Bangkok for four years. :D

I (Canadian) have been travelling and teaching in Guangdong, South China since August 2003. :D

She wants me to move and stay with her in Bangkok. I'd like that too. :D

But everything I read regarding Imm-B visa, work permit, and teacher's licence (I like to be legit and won't stay if I am not) requires a degree or diploma upon application. :D

I have three years college (journalism major) and several metres of life and work experience. But no diploma, no degree. :D

I enjoy teaching and would like to stay with the profession while travelling. She expects to be here at least one more year, possibly more, and then perhaps a move to China or India. :D

Last September I did the TEFL International certificate course with Dave Hopkins in Ban Phe. (I recommend it. Very enjoyable and educational.) I returned to Guangdong but have been skipping about Thailand and neighbouring countries ever since December. :D

Is is worthwhile to apply for Work Permit and Imm-B visa without a diploma or degree? :D

Thanks in advance

Sawadii krab :D

So what you are saying is that without a degree a native English speaker with teaching experience and a TESOL Certificate cannot get a work permit in Thailand? :D

This is how I interpret the government regulations I've read, and also what most teaching forums allude to.

We travel frequently so I'm not scrambling. I'm in no rush and don't have huge money requirements. I do find it interesting that there is such a hue and cry for English teachers in Thailand and yet the visa system makes it much more easy (and lucrative) to go elsewhere. :o

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions. :D

Thanks for your input :D

So what you are saying is that without a degree a native English speaker with teaching experience and a TESOL Certificate cannot get a work permit in Thailand?  :D

No what I'm saying is it's possible but difficult and depends on who, what and where you are teaching!

This is how I interpret the government regulations I've read,
Please can you post a link or PM me the link?
and also what most teaching forums allude to.

You'll see here it's been covered to death, but it is certainly possible. I know a fair few people (although they are the exception rather than the rule) that don't hold degrees but have obtained a work permit. Stickman mentioned he does as well.

We travel frequently so I'm not scrambling. I'm in no rush and don't have huge money requirements. I do find it interesting that there is such a hue and cry for English teachers in Thailand and yet the visa system makes it much more easy (and lucrative) to go elsewhere.  :o

It can be difficult to get legaled up here, but it can be easy for some. TiT, which is part of the attraction!

<You can't promote illegal behaviour, word it differently please. KK> then get a TEFL from Text 'n Talk. After that, open up ajarn.com jobs page, put on a nice shirt and tie then wisk yourself off to Englihs teacher heaven.

You'll probably have a job within a day, maybe less. :o

Edited by kenkannif

To answer a bit more practically, you can pretty much fall into a 30K job with your eyes closed here, especially with any experience at all. If you want to worry about work permits, assuming you find a school willing to sponsor you for one considering your low level of qualifications, you'll wind up receiving it 5-6 months after you start working- it's not right, it's not legal, and it's the way things work here. The fastest I've ever heard ANY teacher (even at the posh places) getting a WP was one week after signing. Technically you'll be subject to arrest, blah, blah, blah, at your own risk, blah, blah, blah. That said, I know the same number of persons who've had trouble AS TEACHERS with this restriction as I have wings.

If the paper work is really, really important to you, you could sign up with one of the agencies- though I don't really recommend it, as they really, really exploit you. However, for some reason that I'm sure doesn't add up to money under the table, many of them could probably get a TEFL work permit for a 16yo refugee from North Korea if they wanted to.

"Steven"