Torturing Myself Over Lenses

neverdie

Yes you are right about the D300 being fairly impressive, I have some information, I don't know if its right or wrong, but aparently Nikon are going to realease two new cameras next month.

We're still taking pictures with the point and shoot, so I'm not busting my backside over it.

I can be a little patient. From what I have read the possible two new models D300s and the D400 have the sensor of the D700 and various other improvements.

Its all good, I always shop like this. :) ....i mean not thru getting advice on thaivisa but by checking things out thoroughly.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the link to that Nikon forum Serpico ;-)

Neverdie, although I said earlier about not having problems with lenses and that the 'grey market' ones should be bought worry-free, after reading a thread on that Nikon forum about the 24-70 lens you're interested in, it might be a good idea to buy with the local warranty ;-) here is the thread - http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=236533

Thankyou moneyshot, appreciate that link.

I must say that I am getting disappointed these days with buying new things and them either failing after a short time or not being up to what they should be.

I will be fairly disappointed if I spent 67k on a lense and it turns out it needs internal adjustments :) .

We had already decided that saving 5k by buying grey wasnt good enuf considering some of the things that can go wrong. Again thanks for your help. :D:D

I can be a little patient. From what I have read the possible two new models D300s and the D400 have the sensor of the D700 and various other improvements.

You mean two models rumored to be released soon are FX format cameras?

Well from what I have read, it would seem as if there were always plenty of rumours about the release of new cameras. Whilst chasing a D300 and various lenses, it was remarked to me by one dealer that there is perhaps something new being released (not necessarily here in Thailand) in August. Thats all he said.

Also alot of places don't stock D300 cameras anymore and one major chain said their main supply for their group had dried up of D300's. This I find very strange.

The rest is me adding, two plus two and getting seven. :) I want a Camera asap, but I can also sit back for a little while and see what happens.

I don't care what anyone else say VR or IS is a lifesaver. I had the 17-55 f/2.8 IS when I had the crop Canon and even people think f/2.8 is fast it is 2 full stops slower than a f/1.4 and even at f/2.8 you need a steady hand indoors unless you boost the ISO a good bit. Also in a lot of scenarios the IS did a great job even in the modest lens length and I had much sharper shots due to the IS than I would have had without it. On a wide angle or a fast prime lens no, there is no point in IS / VR but from what I see of shooters they all wish the Canon 24-70 f/2.8 had IS and many prefer to use the 24-105 f/4 IS of this reason, it is only 1 stop slower but adds 4 stop stabilization or equivalent of f/1.4, so is that more versatile? I think so as it allows you to shoot in f/1.4 light while the f/2.8 is 2 stops slower so if you shoot indoor say ISO 1600 with the IS lens, you need to boost to 6400 ISO to shoot equivalent with the f/2.8 zoom, and as everyone knows the higher ISO the more noise...

Nikon just came out with a crop prime standard lens 30 mm f/1.8 or something like that, that would be a great lens, add up with a 10-20 Sigma for Ultra Wide to Wide, and a 70 - 300mm VR as your tele and that's all you would ever need really.

However for an everyday lens start out with the 18-55 VR, not to dear and still load of people think it's more than good enough for everyday use, when you find a hole... shit need better bokeh for portrait buy a prime for it, shit need more reach, get a tele zoom... and so on... The fun part having an everyday zoom is you soon discover you mostly use it on it's widest and longest which is were the zoom is crappiest. So find this out by an inexpensive zoom. When you see where you need it the most. e.g. Long, buy a great Tele zoom, if it's wide buy a great ultrawide to wide zoom, after you get the kit sorted guess what your rarely use the "everyday zoom" anymore.

I don't care what anyone else say VR or IS is a lifesaver. I had the 17-55 f/2.8 IS when I had the crop Canon and even people think f/2.8 is fast it is 2 full stops slower than a f/1.4 and even at f/2.8 you need a steady hand indoors unless you boost the ISO a good bit. Also in a lot of scenarios the IS did a great job even in the modest lens length and I had much sharper shots due to the IS than I would have had without it. On a wide angle or a fast prime lens no, there is no point in IS / VR but from what I see of shooters they all wish the Canon 24-70 f/2.8 had IS and many prefer to use the 24-105 f/4 IS of this reason, it is only 1 stop slower but adds 4 stop stabilization or equivalent of f/1.4, so is that more versatile? I think so as it allows you to shoot in f/1.4 light while the f/2.8 is 2 stops slower so if you shoot indoor say ISO 1600 with the IS lens, you need to boost to 6400 ISO to shoot equivalent with the f/2.8 zoom, and as everyone knows the higher ISO the more noise...

True. I have both the Canon's EF24-70 F2.8L and EF24-105 F4L IS. Although 24-70 is my favorite lens in terms of picture quality, for the reason stated above the latter is always the lens of my choice when on trips overseas, especially when visiting places that I'd probably never visit again (not to mention it is considerably lighter than 24-70). You don't want to come back from extended trip far from home to find the photos you shot with expensive lens were blurred from camera shake. EF24-105 F4L's IS is so powerful that I can shoot handheld at shutter speed as slow as 1/2 second and still freeze the image. Not with 24-70.

Edited by Nordlys

Really now. If you find this all too confusing and you are loosing sleep over it, why not start all over? I suggest buying one of these cameras and go forward from there.

post-41235-1248889309_thumb.jpg

I worry that your avatar may reflect the real you. So try the instamatic and your troubles will be gone. :)

Well from what I have read, it would seem as if there were always plenty of rumours about the release of new cameras. Whilst chasing a D300 and various lenses, it was remarked to me by one dealer that there is perhaps something new being released (not necessarily here in Thailand) in August. Thats all he said.

Also alot of places don't stock D300 cameras anymore and one major chain said their main supply for their group had dried up of D300's. This I find very strange.

The rest is me adding, two plus two and getting seven. :) I want a Camera asap, but I can also sit back for a little while and see what happens.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0907/09073007nikond300s.asp

there you have it mate no longer a rumour. Not sure when it will be out in Thailand though, local Nikon dealers to me knew it was coming, but still have a few D300 in stock

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0907/09073007nikond300s.asp

there you have it mate no longer a rumour. Not sure when it will be out in Thailand though, local Nikon dealers to me knew it was coming, but still have a few D300 in stock

Gidday Ting,

You mean to say you were holding out on me :D .... u bugga :D

I am as happy as pig in <deleted>, I just got off the email from a Nikon Dealer in Oz, who has told me that she will have the new D300S in store early next month. I have placed an order with her to hold one with a deposit.

Thats not the best news, the best part is to follow where we discussed Lenses & I am actually getting all the gear over there AT A MUCH CHEAPER PRICE than here in Thailand & all the gear is Nikon Dealership stuff - No gray stuff.

If Nikon were offering the D300S here in thailand and it sold for the same price as the D300 & I bought both lenses here as well, I wasnt going to get much change out of 186,000THB, however I am guessng the D300S will start retailing here when it arrives around the 60,000 THB mark, so in actual fact if I waited I would be spending closer to 194,000 THB.

I've picked the lot up in Australia for 160,000THB & as I leave Oz with the gear I can claim the 10% GST (Goods and services tax) back.....which just sweetens the deal up, dont ya reakon :D .

I am well aware that my 12 month Nikon Warranty will only apply in Australia, however I dont really see this as too much of a problem as I will be having another 4 trips back to Oz in the first 12 months, so I can always take it then if the worse happens.

Anyway, it was well worth the HOLD OFF for the last couple of weeks to see what was happening and the D300S looks like one cracka of a camera....TAKE A GANDER at it

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/...osite/d300s/en/

See ya round & thanks heaps to all of you! :D

i have a small kit that fits in a nice small bag and covers anything i want to shoot.

D80 body

sigma 12-24

nikkor 24-120

nikkor 80-200

nikkor 55 micro

i hardly ever use the 80-200.

extreme telephoto pics are usually not attractive.

you need WIDE for landscapes and temples/interiors.

the 55 micro is 30 years old, i find it very useful for copying ID cards/passport pages etc.

only works on manual.

nothing wrong with buying old good quality lenses.

Congrats neverdie enjoy the new toy

Thanks fella, I will be able to take some special pics of my new bike :D , although it will be a challenge to take a photo on one wheel and ride at the same time......don't wanna get gravel rash on either the bike or the camera :) .

If you look at that weblink I posted above there are some great pictures on that & the camera looks as if it will keep me occupied for years to come. Clearly Im gonna have to look at one of those 10-24mm lenses for the landscape type work.

I have decided when I get back from Australia, Im also going to visit pantip and buy one of those 50mm f/1.8 lenses for 4,000 THB (Cant go wrong at that price).

Now I have to decide which camera bag to buy to put this new kit in, I wanna get a backpack style one, that I can drop the notebook into as well, so all my jewels are in one bag for flights and stuff.

I'm scared after spending all this doish that my first thousand photos (maybe more :D ) will look like <deleted> :D

Now I have to decide which camera bag to buy to put this new kit in, I wanna get a backpack style one, that I can drop the notebook into as well, so all my jewels are in one bag for flights and stuff.

I'm scared after spending all this doish that my first thousand photos (maybe more :D ) will look like <deleted> :D

Hi 'neverdie',

I would never ever do that = put all my eggs in one basket (Bag). I always carry me things no matter how clumsy they look on there own i.e. I have a lap-top one bag, lens and other sutff, another bag, camera always on around my body, and then me back-up hard drive, passport etc... in a smaller one. Yes, I do look a bit off the wall when travelling around Thailand, but then I do have a car was well.. Almost frog-got and me laundry basket for me cloths :D which Kan fit all of there except the lap-top in it when I check into hotels.

My advise is get the lot insured for travelling.

I'm scared after spending all this doish that my first thousand photos (maybe more) will look like <deleted>

Welcome to the club :D

As folks say

Learn from the mistakes of others, because you won't have time to make them all yourself. :D

Happy shooting and looking forwards to seeing your photos :D

Yours as ever,

Win in Kan :)

Thanks Kan Win,

Theres no doubt that we will be growing into this camera, its way ahead of me :) .

Im keen to get one bag for when Im actually going on the aircraft as I do a fair few flights each year & I travel alone, so I call it my cabin bag, its gotta take my camera gear, laptop, wallet, passport & little things that I would never check in with my other luggage. From there when I get to the other end I can divi it all up OR I will end up looking like a pack horse.

Ive been holding off getting a new car in Thailand, as I'm hoping to spend more time abroad in the immediate future & I don't want it sitting around the farm here collecting dust. My previous vehicle in Oz actually had a car safe in it, but I dont have one now & its very common for cars to get their windows smashed etc & stuff like that is very sellable.

I would like to look at an insurance policy in thailand, perhaps house contents which also covers stuff outside the house, I havent got that at the moment, don't know if it even exists out here. I'm sweet when in Oz.

Ive been checking out online a few of the lowepro backpack type bags for the job, they look alright and I think it was The Vulcan that used one, reakons it was good. I'm trying to restrict its size, but don't want to buy too small either.

The other reason I want a backpack style bag is occassionally in Oz I jump on the bike and head up into the hills for a ride & theres always so much to photograph. :D

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd let you know, for those who are interested, I finally got my Nikon D300s last week and the two lenses I previously discussed, the Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 and the Macro VR 105mm.

Im a little bit naughty, I think im going to get myself a 12-24mm Nikkor lense in the next couple of weeks while Im on a roll :)

Ive attached a pic of the Camera with the Macro Lense on it for your viewing pleasure. I'm not going to post any pics yet, Im too shy, but so far 95% of the 400 odd pictures taken with it have been in one of the modes off Auto, so far so good.

Thanks for your help

imgp1441.th.jpg