Unknown Snake

noise

I seems to have several of these little snakes (around 18 inches or so) slithering around. We ignore each other and go our separate ways as we putter around the yard and do the gardening. I have assumed they are some kind of rat snake/garden snake. Normally we only see them in bushes, under things, etc. But today, apparently, one was was crossing the yard when I dragged the hose in front of it, dropped the hose, and turned around.

Thinking back, I think I cut it off and it changed direction to go back into the bushes. I saw a flash in the corner of my eye and saw this brown and yellow striped snake "running" toward the bushes. But in the 1.503 secs of time it was in sight, I thought I saw a spread hood close down. But what I was seeing had not yet registered and it may have been kind of an optical illusion of the snake against the grass.

I have searched the web several times and just did it again. No description or picture of cobras matches what I saw. If fact, I can find nothing about any brown snake in Thailand with longitudinal yellow strips (e.g., head to tail). The closest has yellow rings, not stripes.

You all out there have seen it all. Does one of you have a name for it?

Edited by noise

The Striped Keelback is brown with heavy creamy stripes down it. It's a fairly common in n Thailand including gardens. Not venomous.

http://www.ecologyasia.com/verts/snakes/striped_keelback.htm

I have to say that this is a good suggestion based on what I wrote. But the pictures do not match what I see. So let me try to elucidate by saying the yellow stripes appear to be the same size as the brown stripes (i.e., the yellow brown coloring is of equal width).

I just now ran across another posting (http://www.ecologyasia.com/verts/snakes/pa..._bronzeback.htm) about the painted bronze back. In reviewing it I found it said: "The species is identified by its bronze head, black eye-stripe and mask, and black and cream lateral stripes along the length of the body. When threatened it will inflate its body slightly to reveal bluish or turquoise skin underlying the body scales. "

This seems to describe exactly what I saw. I thought I had checked all the previous postings on snakes, but apparently missed this one.

Nevertheless, thanks for the quick response.

And now that I have identified it, I don't have to tell my wife I was wrong. Despite the passage of many, many years, she still believes me about major things like this.

any ideas on this one? it disappeared before i could get a close up

I made a quick attempt to sharpen and filter out noise and crop. I would guess it is a bronzeback, also. I think I see the yellow stipes like my snake had.

post-51749-1247453243_thumb.jpg

Edited by noise

any ideas on this one? it disappeared before i could get a close up

I made a quick attempt to sharpen and filter out noise and crop. I would guess it is a bronzeback, also. I think I see the yellow stipes like my snake had.

thanks, i dont mind having them around if it keeps the frog population down, esp after a downpour, the croaks are deafening at times :)

I don't mind snakes. In fact I find them fascinating creatures. This is me about 30 years ago...

Ian_with_Bull_snake.jpg

I've only been bitten once and that was by a Tigersnake in Tasmania. Luckily I was wearing waders when it struck and the fangs only scratched the skin.

I had to pick this one up and move him out of a Thai friend's back yard so the children wouldn't be bothered by it... It happily swam away in the slough.

Spectical_Cobra_E.jpg

Spectical_Cobra_1_E.jpg

I don't mind snakes. In fact I find them fascinating creatures. This is me about 30 years ago...

Ian_with_Bull_snake.jpg

I've only been bitten once and that was by a Tigersnake in Tasmania. Luckily I was wearing waders when it struck and the fangs only scratched the skin.

I had to pick this one up and move him out of a Thai friend's back yard so the children wouldn't be bothered by it... It happily swam away in the slough.

Spectical_Cobra_E.jpg

Spectical_Cobra_1_E.jpg

Australian Tiger Snake now your up against a nasty piece of work,did it come after you, dispelling the theory, leave them alone and all will be all right

Australian Tiger Snake now your up against a nasty piece of work,did it come after you, dispelling the theory, leave them alone and all will be all right

I was walking along the banks of the Leven River on a fishing trip and it struck me as I stepped past a log. I didn't have time to react or get scared. Luckily, the short fangs barely scratched the skin under my waders and all I got was an itchy rash similar to a wasp sting. I had a far more scary situation on the Leven River when crawling on my hands and knees while trying to sneek up on a Brown trout in the stream. A large Black snake (venomous) rose up in front of me about a meter away. It flattened its head like a cobra and I thought I was dead. I slowly backed away and it calmed down. It might have been a nesting female because my father in law ran into the same snake the next day at the same location. I've seen more venomous snakes along the waterways of Tasmania than anywhere else I've ever been.