Ban Sare

Hssl

there are no go-go bars, as far as I know 2 girlie bars (not the prettiest one working there) and a few farang owned restaurants. That's about it.

it still is a rather quiet place and pattaya or bang chang is not too far if the need is there

Popped down to Ban Saray late this Sunday afternoon after a family outing at Nong Nuch.

The first thing that struck me coming in from the north side, along the beach north of Ban Saray proper, was the major roadside drainage construction. Pretty much that part of the beach which was mostly the place for the locals to hang out is out of commission as there's absolutely no parking, not even for a motorbike. There's a sign saying basically road works for '50m' but in reality, the whole beach road is buggered and there's a 50m bit where major work is going on requiring a little detour in the jungly bits.

The nest of restaurants that serve beach lovers nearer to the village were doing a roaring trade though. However, there seemed to be more Eastern European and Asian groups whereas last year it was mostly locals and smaller groups of 'resident farangs'... you know, older, quieter people with their shirts on. There was a 15 minute thundershower around 6pm that saw most beach mats rolled up and diners hastily relocated under cover on the other side of the road. We stayed till well after 7 pm as the food and service was still excellent.

Since heading back north along the beach would have been even more difficult after dark, we opted to drive back through Ban Saray proper or at least as far as the main junction before turning east to Sukhumvit. The place looked very busy with local markets and shops open and I do believe I saw several bars with loud music (not Thai music) blaring out and maybe some girls out front? Not karaoke places; more like regular beer bars like the ones that usually attract certain types of foreigners.

With the drainage construction, it sort of reminded me of Patong beach in 1989 when I made a return there after a 10 year hiatus and had recollections of only a few beach bungalows and bars that had been rapidly supplanted by condos and alleyways full of beer bars. When I first stayed in Pattaya in the early '80's, I was considering buying a house at a Ban Saray estate called 'Baan Suan Rim Talay' which I am sure is either a ghetto now or already bulldozed under for a newer version. After almost 12 years away from the area, I was surprised a couple of years ago that the Jomtien-isation of Ban Saray hadn't reached as far south. However, looking at the developments over the last 6 months and the signboards and hoardings along the way, I reckon the changes will now be rapid and in maybe 10 years, maybe less, the place will look just like Jomtien. A thin strip of rapidly eroding sand, a 2-way road where you run the gauntlet of traffic, loads of shophouses looking over the sea, interspersed with condos and some 'high rent' estates with tacky 'Thai-Balinese' bungalows crowbarred in so close together that you can see what the neighbour is having for breakfast.

Oh well, whatever turns your crank.

We went to Ban Saray Beach about 4 Months ago, and the Road was all dug up then, we had to turn around and not bother. Nearly went again yesterday but glad we decided not to go now after reading above.

How long is it gonna take to finish that Road surface...

I actually drove up to the start of the roadworks then took the detour sign across the sand dunes to Sukhumvit. The detour should NOT be attempted unless you are in a 4WD with high ground clearance, Some of the holes in the 'detour' are over four feet deep and eroding into the 'detour' track. There is no way to turn round so you just got to keep going until one reaches Sukhumvit and a near vertical entry onto the highway from the detour route.

It will be full-on, continuous construction, repairs, more construction & more repairs for the next.... let's see now.... 12 years?

Here's a clue. How long has the divided highway from south Pattaya up over Pratumnak Hill to Jomtien been going on now?

Edited by NanLaew

Go on a week day, late afternoon, drop in from the top end of town, not the beach end.

its fine then. for the sea food restaurants that is.

Precisely - for those going to eat in the restaurants there's no problem and no need to be so negative.

Does anyone live in Ban Sare who's on TV?

Looks like the move is 100% on, having lived in Pattaya on and off for 9 years kinda know my way arround but need the local low down ........anyone?

Does anyone live in Ban Sare who's on TV?

Looks like the move is 100% on, having lived in Pattaya on and off for 9 years kinda know my way arround but need the local low down ........anyone?

I do

rono

I live in Bang Sare out 4 kilos from the main town.

I love it far enough away from the town & close enough to everywhere when you need to get out. Once a week for groceries in Pattaya good enough for me. Coldest beer in the Pattaya areas & when thieving occurs the cops actually catch the basTURDS!

You have to be willing to have a countryish mindset. 2 lakes a kilo -2 kilos away & the ocean is only 4 kilos from where I live. You only really need Air conditioning 4-6 weeks a year as the wind is always happening cooling down the area off the mountains.

When hot season comes the wind leaves. When I lived in Pattaya air con all the time in the concrete jungle.Food no problem the carts & trucks service the area just the same as Pattaya & the deals are often much better & more arroy!

I would avoid the beach as stated a lot of work going on, but in 5-10 yars bang Sare will become the burbs of Pattaya.