Phuket To Get New 378 Million Baht Bridge

george

Phuket to get new 378 million baht bridge

PHUKET: -- The Sarasin Bridge, which joins Phuket to the mainland, is to be dismantled and replaced by a new four-lane structure in a construction project worth 378 million baht.

Italian-Thai Development (ITD) said it signed the contract to carry out the New Sarasin Bridge Project with the Department of Highways, Ministry of Transport and Communications, late last month.

The work, which is expected to take two years, will include construction of the four-lane concrete bridge, approach structures and a pedestrian walkway.

The two spans of the existing bridge will be dismantled.

ITD did not announce when construction will begin.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-07-12

One of the bridges is not very old & I never see any traffic problems, it is always a breeze to cross. Could it be the structure is not safe? The money would be better spent on land acquisition to widen roads in Phuket Town. It is almost gridlock at times. Some new feeder roads would not go astray either.

I can see the reasons for replacing the northbound bridge as it is quite old and doesn't allow tall masted boats to pass beneath it, but why the powers that be want to replace the (relatively new) southbound bridge is beyond me, unless of course it involves graft & corruption. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Scrap the North bound Bridge (allow bigger boats to pass) and make the Southbound one 2 way. you have to slow down for the check point anyway.

edit: clarity

Wonder how often/if they will dredge the channel to open water for deeper keeled vessels. I don't expect the bridge height will allow tall masted vessels anyway...10-15 million bucks does not indicate a swing or suspension structure.

If it happens however it would be a major boost to the cruising sailor and general marine tourist industry and of course Yacht Haven Marina by giving speedy access to the west coast and the flesh pots... hopefully its been a consideration?

The only reason i can think is for marine traffic to pass under the bridge.

For some odd reason, you have Boat Lagoon, and Royal Phuket Marina next to each other, and then yacht haven.......all up on the north east corner of Phuket. If the boats want to head to any of the west coast areas of Phuket, or to the Andamans, then they have to sail right the way round Phuket.

You currently cannot sail under the bridge in even a small recreational dinghy.

Some of us were considering a 'sail round phuket ' race. But it cant be done.

Anyway, apart from adding more convenience to a small number of private pleasure boats, (including myself) i dont really see who this benefits the community at large. It does make one wonder what the real reasons for it are.

What's wrong with the old bridge ? Plus we already have a dual highway bridge next to the old bridge. This seems a waste of money to me.

Agreed. These entrusted funds could go towards civil infrastructures that would seem more practicle at this time. The current bridge is sufficient.