`what Is It With The Thai Media

marsteele

Do they not respect farang culture of not publically broadcasting the images against the wishes of the family.

No, they don't. It's ok to publish horrific pictures of dead bodies in Thailand. Accident, murder, and crime victims are frequently splashed all over newspapers, tv, and magazines.

Its accepted media pratcise/reporting all over Asia - in the West folk live a "cotton wool" exsisitance, all wrapped up and isolated from the realities of death.

It had nothing to do with no respect for "farang culture" This incident happend in Asia and the media were catering for an Asian audience.

In Asia death is part of life ... it is not something people are culturaly and socialy brought up to be isolated from as we are in the West - and the poorer Western society is for such attitudes.

I'm sorry ... it may seem a little harsh to folk in the West, but this is Asia and that is how things are in Asia.

As for the Baht 12K Mr Clark had to pay over ...... yes, I am suprized that the media saw fit to pursue that in the manner they did. Does anyone know just which TV station camera crew it was?

but it is just so uncivilized.. why would anyone want to see this?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As thaihome says above ..... its lost in a thread like this - its wanting the collective voice of x number of ex-pat forum members with very different cultural backgrounds to see "death" against the background and values of Asians - it is not going to happen.

The lack of understanding by the Thai media about how foreign deaths should be treated is shocking. I lived by Phuket Airport when the OnetToGo plane crashed and was given some horrific video taken by the local news media as they pulled out the bodies.

It's about time the Thai media started to understand that the world does not end at the borders of Thailand. There are many foreigners in Thailand, all with different cultural and religious believes. In many western cultures, filming a death/suicide/murder victim is an absolute no-no.

The actions of the Thai media in this case are just another example of the chasm between Thailand and the 'civilised world'. I would have reacted the same as the distraught father in this case.

Shame on the Thai media for their actions - and shame on the journalist for accepting the 12,000 baht.

Simon

Simon I don't think it's a lack of "understanding" at all on the part of the Thai media/police etc. They understand exactly about MONEY, sesationalism sells newspapers. The cops get a piece of the action and to h*ll with the grieving family.

They just don't give a rats, and respect certainly does not come into the equation.

However, I might add that I think this is not just zero respect and understanding for foreigners, as they have no respect for anyone...period!

Of couse, what these half-wits fail to realize is that all things Thai are definately NOT the flavour of the month in Australia thesedays. This piece of thoughtless cold-heartedness will go down like a lead balloon in Australia.

Som nom na Thailand. The kama that goes around comes around.

Just as a PS after-thought, it's events like this that I truely believe the Australian government should withhold the payment of the multi-millions of dollars in "aid and development funds" it hands over to the Thai government each year.

Edited by barky

I don't want to come off as an apologist for parts of the Thai media, ....

So please, someone tell me how the Thai media and Thai people are any worse than their western counterparts?

Human beings love a good car crash and they'll slow down to gawk, whether they are in Bristol, Topeka, Nairobi or Pattaya.

Nice try, but a voice of reason is lost in these types of threads.

:)

TH

Geriatric forgets to make one point. While media intrusion happens worldwide, it is more prevalent, uncontrolled and tasteless here

Just look at the front pages of Thai and UK newspapers over a period of time and you have the proof.

I don't want to come off as an apologist for parts of the Thai media, because I'd have slugged someone as well, but I do understand why there was restitution. The wrench reportedly inflicted some damage. Despite being an act that was provoked and the result of an emotional outburst from a distraught bereaved parent, it was still a wrongful act and one can't go around slugging people and damaging their property when those people have a legal right to be there, even when they are obnoxious, odious and devoid of compassion. (And please I am not judging the gentleman implicated because, I know I would have reacted in a similar manner.)

To those that think that media intrusion is "acceptable" behaviour in Thailand or found only in Thailand, think again. In the UK, there is currently a police investigation underway in respect to a certain newsgroup's electronic snooping of personal info. Pictures of naked and deceased celebrities grace the publications of many western newspapers. for example, you can get a copy a dead BeeGee's autopsy complete with some very personal details from a prominent western newsource. This kind of voyeuristic instrusion is as common to Thais as it is to westerners. Yes Thais read the tawdry details gobbling up the info. Are they any different than westerners that are devoted fans of the Smoking Gun, National Enquirer, Hello, People etc.? You can watch a man getting tortured to death or gored or blown up on dozens of websites hosted in the west. Thai media certainly would not have printed a foreign prince's poetic tampon metaphor, nor would have Thais rushed out to humiliate someone in that manner. Yet, this was done in the western press, despite evidence now being given that the information was obtained by illegal means.

So please, someone tell me how the Thai media and Thai people are any worse than their western counterparts?

Human beings love a good car crash and they'll slow down to gawk, whether they are in Bristol, Topeka, Nairobi or Pattaya.

I would agrue that both some Thais and some westerners are equally voyeuristic, but completely opposite in who they target...

In the West, it is only the rich, famous, politicians and royals that are the "targets". It is believed that these people are "public persons" and as such do not have the presumption of privacy.

In Thailand many of the members listed above are treated with "kid gloves" and no one in the media would dare to treat the rich and powerful in that matter. So in many cases it is only the "normal folks" and celebrities that can saftely be targeted.

Edited by CWMcMurray

The lack of understanding by the Thai media about how foreign deaths should be treated is shocking. I lived by Phuket Airport when the OnetToGo plane crashed and was given some horrific video taken by the local news media as they pulled out the bodies.

It's about time the Thai media started to understand that the world does not end at the borders of Thailand. There are many foreigners in Thailand, all with different cultural and religious believes. In many western cultures, filming a death/suicide/murder victim is an absolute no-no.

The actions of the Thai media in this case are just another example of the chasm between Thailand and the 'civilised world'. I would have reacted the same as the distraught father in this case.

Shame on the Thai media for their actions - and shame on the journalist for accepting the 12,000 baht.

Simon

Simon I don't think it's a lack of "understanding" at all on the part of the Thai media/police etc. They understand exactly about MONEY, sesationalism sells newspapers. The cops get a piece of the action and to h*ll with the grieving family.

They just don't give a rats, and respect certainly does not come into the equation.

However, I might add that I think this is not just zero respect and understanding for foreigners, as they have no respect for anyone...period!

Of couse, what these half-wits fail to realize is that all things Thai are definately NOT the flavour of the month in Australia thesedays. This piece of thoughtless cold-heartedness will go down like a lead balloon in Australia.

Just as a PS after-thought, it's events like this that I truely believe the Australian government should withhold the payment of the multi-millions of dollars in "aid and development funds" it hands over to the Thai government each year.

Same point - with UK and USA

Get off your <deleted>, diplomats

Geriatrickid:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Like it or not, Thai media has a totally different approach to blood and gore than media where most forum members are from.

Although the biggest newspaper in my country had a big picture once of my friends car going up in a fireball, with my dead or dying friend inside. But I guess that is acceptable as there is no blood and person close-ups...

Sorry, but this is just plain wrong.

Despite a tendancy in Thaialnd to show the images of the dead in order to sell newspapers, when the father of a dead child specifically asks you not to take photos, you should stop.  This is true in Thailand, in the UK, in Gabon, or in Peru.  Compassion is a universal trait, but it seems like it gets lost in the rat race, sometimes.

It's about time that those foreigners who lived in Thailand realised that if they want to be surrounded by the mores and customs of the west then Thailand is the wrong place to be.

Just because things are, doesn't mean they are meant to be ... I would suggest that many Thais realise that the current practice is really not acceptable ... read some of the messages in response to this article in BKK Post:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/blogs/index.php...l-outra?blog=64

... and perhaps it's about time the Thai media read the Thai Constitution ....

Section 35. A person’s family rights, dignity, reputationand the right of privacy shall be protected.

The assertion or circulation of a statement or picture in

any manner whatsoever to the public, which violates or affects a

person’s family rights, dignity, reputation or the right of privacy,

shall not be made except for the case which is beneficial to the

public.

Despite a tendancy in Thaialnd to show the images of the dead in order to sell newspapers, when the father of a dead child specifically asks you not to take photos, you should stop.  This is true in Thailand, in the UK, in Gabon, or in Peru.  Compassion is a universal trait, but it seems like it gets lost in the rat race, sometimes.

I think this is a reasoned reply. The fact that the cameraman continued despite reguests is a disgrace. Anyone with a half sense of decency should respect a shocked and grieving. The fact that this lowlife then has the audacity to claim compensation, with the tacit approval of the corrupt BIB is another reflection on this country. For all it's claims of trying to attract tourists, the list of unsavoury incidents is hardly good PR. They want the toursit bucks, but thye couldn't give a shit about the tourists.

To the camerman, hope he has a slow painful one.

i hope news of the compensation paid to the cameraman emerges in the western press

i read this story on here when it was posted and it's tragic :)

the story was on the bbc all day yesterday, they mentioned that pattaya park had offered compensation and the story was delivered as a tragic accident where the thai's had done all they could( slowly)

that story puts a completely different slant on it from the actual events where thais photographed a dead child and then demanded compensation when the grieving father lashed out

i hope this story reaches the western press & i may well just drop a quick email/link to the bbc and ask why this part of the story hasn't been covered

if thailand wants to make a difference and wants western money then have an authority name & shame the police and journalists and make examples of them, remove them from employment and ensure this doesn't happen again

As he was English I don't think they will be overly concerned, especially in the middle of the Ashes.

EDIT// On re-reading this I had to edit it, as it sounds particularly harsh and cold hearted. I was merely trying to correct the poster on his assumption that the boy was Australian. I am sure there will be Australians who are shocked and saddened by this, but don't think it will effect any aid payments.

Edited by QED

As he was English I don't think they will be overly concerned, especially in the middle of the Ashes.

EDIT// On re-reading this I had to edit it, as it sounds particularly harsh and cold hearted. I was merely trying to correct the poster on his assumption that the boy was Australian. I am sure there will be Australians who are shocked and saddened by this, but don't think it will effect any aid payments.

OK thanks QED for correcting my error. Nevertheless, on everything else I firmly believe I am correct. Then maybe Britain should susspend it's payments to this joint.

Despite being an act that was provoked and the result of an emotional outburst from a distraught bereaved parent, it was still a wrongful act and one can't go around slugging people and damaging their property when those people have a legal right to be there, even when they are obnoxious, odious and devoid of compassion. .

Is it in fact the case though that the photographers had a legal right to be there and take pictures of that type? They were on private property and it would surely have been open to the owners of the water park to ask them to stop, particularly as the parents were objecting strongly to what was happening. Even on public property I am not convinced that the parents have to stand by and not try to obstruct, block or otherwise disrupt this kind of activity because the press have a 'legal right' to photograph events. Of course, assault would be a step beyond such obstruction.

i am really sad at some of the people who are posting about how it is thai culture to intrude on someones grief and despair

that really is the most utterly crass sort of thai brown nosing i have ever ever heard

the simple thing is the thai media are controlled by some of the richest people in thailand

they have a hel_l of a lot of power and they do get away with a sh1t load of stuff most people would not do

can you imagine if the owner of the Bangkok Post had their children killed in a car accident and a photographer wanted to take a photo of their dead child what they would do

or any other big paper

it is only exploitation it is against all common reasonable behaviour it is not a thai cultural thing it is a way to sell papers and to have a big audience on the news

if the courts wanted to they could stop it but choose not to because they are corrupt

and from chiangmaibruce post dignity does not sell papers

let me remind everyone that we will not be allowing discussing the case of who is responsible. previous discussion turned into very disrespectful remarks, and we are not about to tolerate any repeat of such remarks.

so if there is any indication that people cannot restrict their discussions to media responsibility and ethical reporting (which is what we see as the purpose of this thread), then this thread will be closed.

remember that while we want to discuss ethical behaviour, it is important that we ourselves do so ethically, showing respect to the family and friends of the deceased.

regards

MiG, on behalf of moderating team

I remember growing up in America with the constant barrage of photos such as the famous one on the cover of Life Magazine of a completely naked young girl running down a road having been hit by napalm. The photographer was given awards for this photo. Normal operating procedure.

let me remind everyone that we will not be allowing discussing the case of who is responsible. previous discussion turned into very disrespectful remarks, and we are not about to tolerate any repeat of such remarks.

so if there is any indication that people cannot restrict their discussions to media responsibility and ethical reporting (which is what we see as the purpose of this thread), then this thread will be closed.

remember that while we want to discuss ethical behaviour, it is important that we ourselves do so ethically, showing respect to the family and friends of the deceased.

regards

MiG, on behalf of moderating team

Well said

i hope news of the compensation paid to the cameraman emerges in the western press

the story was on the bbc all day yesterday, they mentioned that pattaya park had offered compensation and the story was delivered as a tragic accident where the thai's had done all they could( slowly)

that story puts a completely different slant on it from the actual events where thais photographed a dead child and then demanded compensation when the grieving father lashed out

i hope this story reaches the western press & i may well just drop a quick email/link to the bbc and ask why this part of the story hasn't been covered

if thailand wants to make a difference and wants western money then have an authority name & shame the police and journalists and make examples of them, remove them from employment and ensure this doesn't happen again

It has imerged in the western press. That is what brought it to my attention and prompted me to open this thread. The actions of the thai press and police in thier dealings with those concerned had outraged a large number of people in Australia

I think this article from the BKK post shows that it is not just westerners who are annoyed at the press in thai but also thai's themselves

Edited by marsteele

I think this is a reasoned reply. The fact that the cameraman continued despite reguests is a disgrace. Anyone with a half sense of decency should respect a shocked and grieving. The fact that this lowlife then has the audacity to claim compensation, with the tacit approval of the corrupt BIB is another reflection on this country. For all it's claims of trying to attract tourists, the list of unsavoury incidents is hardly good PR. They want the toursit bucks, but thye couldn't give a shit about the tourists.

Obviously, Bonobo is right, but sadly that is not how the tabloids operate. Mr. Toad, can't argue with your position, except to note that many western celebs have lost it with the media often slugging or ramming cars or just knocking one over as they try to escape. The result? The paparazzi sue the celebs. It's as if the paparazzi go out of their way to provoke people just to elicit a reaction. The one event that sits in my memory was the news photogs that were chasing princess Diana's car at high speed. Had the newshounds not been there to harass her, in all likelihood the allegedly drunk driver would not have been speeding to escape the paparazzi and the Princess most likely would be alive today.

The cameraman has done his duty, to cover as sensational as possible. That's unfortunately the way it is here and there.

I certainly don't like that as well. But the general public seems to request that sick kind of sensational excitement.

So, because he, the cameraman is a human being too, has to know, that his job is a perverse one, and certainly don't get sympathy from the ones involved, he takes risks and a blow to the jaw should not be unexpected. BUT, and here is the main point, because of that, he certainly CANNOT ask for compensation and he certainly CANNOT take that.

It has imerged in the western press. That is what brought it to my attention and prompted me to open this thread. The actions of the thai press and police in thier dealings with those concerned had outraged a large number of people in Australia

I think this article from the BKK post shows that it is not just westerners who are annoyed at the press in thai but also thai's themselves

And in Thailand? - you are correct ... on Yaan Kraw last night a number of Thai's phoned in and expressed more than a little suprize that Baht12k had to be paid over. All felt that it should not have been asked for, and that it should be returned.

it's reassuring to hear that many thai's are outraged at the actions of the thai media and the compensation awarded to the photographer and it's good to see the bangkok post have taken this story and put it in print

i'm still unaware why this part of the story wasn't covered by the bbc though as a license payer & british citizen i expect the bbc to report accurately, yet the poor reporting presented by the bbc is a completely different version, you'd be forgiven for thinking the bbc were still promoting thailand as a holiday destination, they kept repeating throughout the day how it was a tragic accident, the family had accepted that and the park had offered compensation for their loss...the details of the press/police extorting the grieving family should have been reported and would have served as a warning to the british public...i find it highly questionable that the bbc reported on this case all day with different feeds but failed to include the actions of the thai media/police

i'll be checking the bbc site after i've posted this and will then be emailing them to request an answer...at the very least it's less than amateur reporting and possibly a cover up in light of the bbc's problems in thailand of late..either eway though they've failed this british family and failed the british public

if i was in the same situation, the reporter will not be not so lucky.

It's just disgusting. Shame one them

And for the people who try to tries to justify the behavior of this reporter

please explain to me what will you do in the same situation ?

I love my children more than my life and if the same thing happened to

me,this reporter better be ready to die in thailand or not.

A father

the cameraman was doing his job, this is how he feeds his children. he probably didnt get into this business to film dead kids, it just comes with the territory. same goes for angry spanner wielding parents, that also comes with the territory.

i think this is less about the actual cameraman and more about the media corporations here in thailand. as long as they want to supply graphic pictures of dead people they will continue these practices and send their cameramen to cover these events.