Nice Places To Visit On The Eastern Coast?

sushi5734

I live in Korat and was wondering where would be a nice place to go for a few days on the Eastern Coast. I don't want to offend anyone who lives there but Pattaya just isn't really my cup of tea, I've been a few times and had a laugh, its fine for a P!$$ up with the lads but not really the best place for couples or families!!

What I am really looking for are some nice beaches, good snorkeling and a few laid back beers in the evening.

I've been to Koh Samet and Koh Chang a few times before and was just wondering if there any hidden gems down there?

Thanks

Two places come to m ind.

1. Koh Samet just a short boat ride from Ban Phe and just down the beach highway another 10 or so clicks is-

2. Mae Phim beach, a small beach community that has nice beaches, no crowds, decent food and places to stay.

Two places come to m ind.

1. Koh Samet just a short boat ride from Ban Phe and just down the beach highway another 10 or so clicks is-

2. Mae Phim beach, a small beach community that has nice beaches, no crowds, decent food and places to stay.

Thanks for the info longball I've went to Koh Samet with a few mates when I was backpacking a couple of years ago and I quite liked the island, it was really nice, unfortunatley it was covered in rubbish you would have thought with the 400 baht park entrance fee that they would have a few rubbish bins or paid some guy a few hundred baht to pick up the rubbish on the beaches :)

I really like the sound of Mae Phim Beach just checking it out on google maps now =]

Sam

Longball, I'd have to partly disagree with you on Mae Phim as far as the crowds go, Saturdays and Sundays can be pretty dam_n crowded with the thais coming down on the weekend, but I've found on the weekdays there's almost no one. But yeah, a good mix of various thai and western restaurants.

I like Chao Lao beach/cape area and a couple of the other areas around there, before you get to the town of Chanthaburi. Has a good mix of restaurants/resorts/beaches with some scenic hillsides scattered along the coast.

Longball, I'd have to partly disagree with you on Mae Phim as far as the crowds go, Saturdays and Sundays can be pretty dam_n crowded with the thais coming down on the weekend, but I've found on the weekdays there's almost no one. But yeah, a good mix of various thai and western restaurants.

I like Chao Lao beach/cape area and a couple of the other areas around there, before you get to the town of Chanthaburi. Has a good mix of restaurants/resorts/beaches with some scenic hillsides scattered along the coast.

Sorry I have never been there on the weekend only during the week.

I'll be staying near Mae Phim shortly, and seem to remember having some very good seafood last time I was there - quite a few years ago. Does anyone have any current recommendations? I like the basic, straight off the boat, Cha Am harbour sort of experience.

Thanks for any tips

Thanks to everyone for thier suggestions will bare them in mind before I decide where to go =]

how about Koh Si Chang I had presumed that it would be full of farangs due to its proximity to Pattaya but from I've read (albiet in a travel book thats 5 years old) its would seem to be fairly quiet.

Sam

• 2 weeks later...
I'll be staying near Mae Phim shortly, and seem to remember having some very good seafood last time I was there - quite a few years ago. Does anyone have any current recommendations? I like the basic, straight off the boat, Cha Am harbour sort of experience.

Thanks for any tips

Bit of post-trip feedback that might be of use to someone in the future. I tried several seafood places at Mae Phim beach, the winner by far was Rainbow (English sign). I had the freshest, meatiest Poo Nim I have ever tasted, and I've tasted plenty! Very reasonable prices too.

• 2 weeks later...

We go to Mae Phim about twice a year, take my 100L cool box and bring back loads of squid & fish for our neighbours.

Usually stay at the Villa Bali as they do not mind dogs, if well trained!.

Went New Year 07/08, never seen a beach in Thailand so crowded!, good fun though.