Phuket Abuzz With Pride And Wonder About Asean Event

george

Phuket abuzz with pride and wonder about ASEAN event

phuket-Phuket-Police-inspect-a-vehicle-at-one-of-the-many-checkpoints-around-the-island-4-Houubga.jpg

Phuket Police inspect a vehicle at one of the

many checkpoints around the island.

PHUKET: -- Phuket has begun pulsing with vibrancy today. Official cars, police and army officers, and security guards are becoming a common sight. It's all about the ASEAN foreign ministers meetings and the ASEAN Regional Forum, to be held at Laguna Phuket from Friday to July 23.

Phuketians generally welcome the massive security effort, despite all the checkpoints and limitations on vehhicle movements, as Thailand needs to ensure the safety of diplomats and very important people like US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

However, how will all this formality and tightened security affect leisure-seeking tourists? How will partygoers and beach bums deal with the sometimes stern-looking officers guarding even the potted plants?

This issue has been discussed at great length on ThaiVisa.Com, the Phuket Gazette's partner in the popular 'Phuket Forum'.

A tourist asks: "Is it strongly recommended to avoid Phuket during the meeting, or can I just ignore it?"

A guy replies: "As I see it, they are putting in security rules in case they need to react. The obvious non-reaction in Pattaya was part of the problem there and they don't want to see that happen again. I think if the red shirts come to make trouble, they'll be locked up in a hurry. That's what clarifying these rules to everyone really is."

Another posting reads: "Can't really see this having any impact on tourist activities. Expect there will be a big police and military presence and checkpoints. On the up-side, it will likely be a very safe time to visit Phuket."

Yet another has a writer saying he wouldn't be surprised if there are extra delays at Immigration/passport control and Customs clearance.

However, apart from ThaiVisa.Com, it is surprisingly difficult to find much information about the ASEAN meetings on the Internet.

Googling the words '42nd Asean Phuket' should result in a flood of information, but no matter what keyword combination you use, the official website 14thaseansummit.org, which should be the ultimate authority on the meetings, doesn't even make the front page in the search results.

In other words, it can be quite difficult to simply find out what the meetings are all about and why the government has had to go to such great trouble preparing for it. Though the schedule can be found on the official website, there are no answers to questions you might want to ask. The only thing that seems to surface is news reports on security measures.

Nor is there any mention of the fact that Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya is facing terrorism charges related to the shutting down of Suvarnabhumi Airport last year. Clearly, everybody inside the ministry is closely guarding this secret because, after all, the Thai Foreign Minister is the key person in the ASEAN event.

Hopefully, other officials will be like Kasit, who has always been truthful about his role in the airport seizure and who obviously isn't afraid to be asked about human rights and political security issues by his Asean counterparts.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-07-15

What a strange article from the Gazette! So the Gazette is now posting "News" articles that include the musings of anonymous posters on an Internet forum?

A tourist asks...

A guy replies...

Another posting reads...

Yet another...

I don't think Thaivisa needs the publicity - it comes out top on most search results about Thailand - and I certainly don't consider what "a guy" thinks is "News".

Come on Gazette, you need to re-think what you are in business for.

'Pride and Wonder'???? More like disdain I think, unless you're one of the residents in the affected area who have been scrambling for poorly advertised access passes. I'm sure that the photos of security checkpoints and armed police/army will be reassuring to any potential tourists who may view the PG pages.

As for the comments about Kasit, the man who several months ago stated his intention to resign if criminal charges were ever brought against him for his contribution to the airports crisis last year, his standing on personal ethics will be duly noted amongst the foreign minister visitors I'm sure. Credibility zero.

What a strange article from the Gazette! So the Gazette is now posting "News" articles that include the musings of anonymous posters on an Internet forum?

A tourist asks...

A guy replies...

Another posting reads...

Yet another...

I don't think Thaivisa needs the publicity - it comes out top on most search results about Thailand - and I certainly don't consider what "a guy" thinks is "News".

As a new member of thaivisa, and as a tourist to Phuket, I'm hesitant to take issue with you, JetsetBkk, but I've been reading thaivisa for about 2 years as a guest (not a member) and i can assure that what is posted in this forum IS NEWS to anyone who has not already read it. So what thaivisa members think and write is interesting, significant and certainly newsworthy to visitors to Phuket.

My wife and I live in Singapore and are currently staying at the Laguna Beach Resort. The Thai staff here, and the Thais we met in Phuket Town today, all seem extremely proud that Phuket is hosting the Asean meetings, a mega-event for their community.

Expats here, in Bangkok, in Singapore and around the world tend to become jaded over time, so perhaps they are not much interested in the meetings, seeing them only as a cause of (oh, terrible!) traffic jams. But for Thais, what is happening here at Laguna is an opportunity for their country to restore credibility in the world. If that means 8 days of slower moving traffic, I'm sure they couldn't care less.

A tourist asks...

A guy replies...

Another posting reads...

Yet another...

As a new member of thaivisa, and as a tourist to Phuket, I'm hesitant to take issue with you, JetsetBkk, but I've been reading thaivisa for about 2 years as a guest (not a member) and i can assure that what is posted in this forum IS NEWS to anyone who has not already read it. So what thaivisa members think and write is interesting, significant and certainly newsworthy to visitors to Phuket.

My wife and I live in Singapore and are currently staying at the Laguna Beach Resort. The Thai staff here, and the Thais we met in Phuket Town today, all seem extremely proud that Phuket is hosting the Asean meetings, a mega-event for their community.

Expats here, in Bangkok, in Singapore and around the world tend to become jaded over time, so perhaps they are not much interested in the meetings, seeing them only as a cause of (oh, terrible!) traffic jams. But for Thais, what is happening here at Laguna is an opportunity for their country to restore credibility in the world. If that means 8 days of slower moving traffic, I'm sure they couldn't care less.

Great first post ThaiMatters - I couldn't agree more and welcome to TVland.

You are right about some members being jaded and you will see many posts here made by expats who only care how they are affected and who don't see how this meeting is important to all of Thailand.

Most stories in the media have been about the security mesures surrounding the meetings and not the meetings themselves.

It seems to me the PG is just confirming that ThaiVisa is a great source for comments about what is after all a historical occasion.

As a partner in the 'popular Phuket forum' they are giving credit to the forum for being a good source of information and suggesting to its readers to check out TV.

ThaiVisa IS a great source of information - Isn't that why we post here?

@ baabaabobo and ThaiMatters: you have both completely misunderstood the point I was trying to make. Yes, I read this forum and occasionally post. Yes, I read the Gazette every week.

I have NEVER seen posts from this forum being included in the Gazette's "news" emails or web articles before. I doubt if this "article" will get into the printed paper - I certainly hope not.

What I want from the Gazette is hard news, not abridged, anonymous posts from this forum. This article was clearly written by someone from this forum and "cleaned up" by a Gazette editor.

It would have been far better if the article had simply given a link to the appropriate topic(s) in this forum and reduced to half its length.

@ baabaabobo and ThaiMatters: you have both completely misunderstood the point I was trying to make. Yes, I read this forum and occasionally post. Yes, I read the Gazette every week.

I have NEVER seen posts from this forum being included in the Gazette's "news" emails or web articles before. I doubt if this "article" will get into the printed paper - I certainly hope not.

What I want from the Gazette is hard news, not abridged, anonymous posts from this forum. This article was clearly written by someone from this forum and "cleaned up" by a Gazette editor.

It would have been far better if the article had simply given a link to the appropriate topic(s) in this forum and reduced to half its length.

agreed, it was a rather odd article today! they dont usually include the whole he said this and they said that style. Not very impressive unfortunately but hopefully wont happen again! back to the topic, the check points have started to get rather annoying! First with the poor announcement to foreigners on where to go to get stickers etc...and now there seems to be really long lines of traffic in Koh Kaew, Manik, cherngtalay and at the end of the surin beach road on your way back from Kamala is even worse with the traffic going all the way to Lampsing today! speed it up boys! All I have seen the army guys do is sit and speak to the local catoyes in the evening!

agreed, it was a rather odd article today! they dont usually include the whole he said this and they said that style. Not very impressive unfortunately but hopefully wont happen again! back to the topic, the check points have started to get rather annoying! First with the poor announcement to foreigners on where to go to get stickers etc...and now there seems to be really long lines of traffic in Koh Kaew, Manik, cherngtalay and at the end of the surin beach road on your way back from Kamala is even worse with the traffic going all the way to Lampsing today! speed it up boys! All I have seen the army guys do is sit and speak to the local catoyes in the evening!

Traffic :) ? I live two blocks from Laguna. Last night, when driving from Royal Phuket Marina to my home at 6:30pm, there were no tailbacks at all the entire distiance - not in Koh Kaew, not in Manik, and not in Cherngtalay. And this morning, when I went back to RPM at 8am, same - not back-ups at all. I almost had the idea that the Asean meetings had been canceled. Perhaps beauty is just in the eye of the beholder.

Traffic :) ? I live two blocks from Laguna. Last night, when driving from Royal Phuket Marina to my home at 6:30pm, there were no tailbacks at all the entire distiance - not in Koh Kaew, not in Manik, and not in Cherngtalay. And this morning, when I went back to RPM at 8am, same - not back-ups at all. I almost had the idea that the Asean meetings had been canceled. Perhaps beauty is just in the eye of the beholder.

Please return and post your exp when the conference is in full swing, I'm curious to see what impact (hopefully none) it's had on your travel.

So far it's been smooth sailing for me too. Did an Airport run from RPM area with he drop off in Kamala, lots of check points along the way. see post ASEAN Checkpoint list but smooth sailing through all of them, only got stopped once to say hello.

VDO on http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/prev...hp?news_id=1205

or

item--2-- Related state officials start to arrive in Phuket for the ASEAN Ministers Meeting and other related meetings while the military chief insists the meetings will run smoothly.

Before the meetings begin today, the Thai Supreme Commander Songkitti Chakkrabat yesterday visited the joint operation centre for security located at Phuket International Airport to be informed of the operation and preparation. After the inspection trip, the supreme commander affirmed all units’ readiness to facilitate security. He stated that the operation is divided according to functions. The army force is responsible for security on land and overall security, the navy responsible for the marine areas, while the air force oversees aircrafts and airports. The fourth army region is responsible for the outer security as well as being back up for the police region 8 and Phuket police. He told members of the public to be confident in the security measures. Meanwhile the Phuket International Airport’s arrival terminal is nicely decorated with a welcoming arch decorated by fresh Thai orchids. Batik material is used to decorate the VIP Room with local souvenir items. According to the Airport Manager, Mr. Pratueng Sornkham, the airport has prepared five bays for aircraft parking to accommodate delegates’ private jets.

item--3— The information centre under the security command region 4 keep explaining to people about the checks they may have to face if getting near the meeting venue

Assistant Director of the Information Centre under the security command region 4, Col. Srisak Lerdlam, came out to apologize to members of the public and commuters as check up points have been set up in locations near the meeting venues. He admitted that the security checks may have some delays, impacts or cause inconveniences for commuters, but called for residents to play their part in being good hosts. He also stressed that the vehicle stickers are mainly for residents in six sub-districts around the Laguna hotel group compound. They are Choeng Thalay, Thepkasartri, Srisunthorn, Saku, Kamala, and Mai Khao. He stressed that people who live outside of these six sub-districts and do not have any business to visit such areas near by the Laguna group of hotels which are the meeting venues do not need the stickers and are advised to use alternative routes to avoid traffic there.

item--4— Floral businesses flourish for the ASEAN Foreign Ministers meeting.

The floral farmers, among other businesses in Phuket, are reportedly benefiting from the ASEAN Foreign Ministers meeting and other meetings taken place in Phuket during July 17-23rd. The provincial Agriculture Chief Somchai Hengwatcharapaiboon reported that demand for flowers rose dramatically and that local farmers received large orders. He cites one nearby farm had received orders for the whole crop for flower decoration. They include different types of orchids, Heliconia, red ginger and etc. Some of them are also imported he said. Mr. Somchai expects a circulation from ornamental plants and flora sales of around 10 million baht during the meeting period. The Office is also preparing to hold a Floral and Ornamental plant fair during July 24 th – August 12th at Saphan Hin to promote the business.

Andaman News NBT TV (VHF dial) at 8.30am & perhaps repeats on Phuket Cable TV channel 1 at 3.30pm, 7pm, 1.30am & 6.30am, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces & maybe Mazz Radio FM108 at 7pm in Phuket, Friday 17 July 2009 & http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/ & www.YouTube.com/AndamanNews

Please return and post your exp when the conference is in full swing, I'm curious to see what impact (hopefully none) it's had on your travel.

So far it's been smooth sailing for me too. Did an Airport run from RPM area with he drop off in Kamala, lots of check points along the way. see post ASEAN Checkpoint list but smooth sailing through all of them, only got stopped once to say hello.

Very light again last night and again this morning, but could get heavier now as result of Indo bombings....

Edited by sungate

On that particuar day I was in traffic from Tesco lotus (bangtao) all the way to the traffic lights near big one, but must admit they have now moved that checkpoint further up and hasnt been since!

VDO on

or http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/prev...hp?news_id=1211

item--1--- ASEAN Foreign Ministers Meeting and related meetings that took place in Phuket ended on Thursday paving the way for the next ASEAN Summit in October.

item--2--- ASEAN Foreign ministers agreed to launch the ASEAN Intergovernmental Commission on Human Rights.

--------------

VDO on

or

http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/prev...hp?news_id=1212

item--3--- US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton announced that “US is back in Southeast Asia”

item--4--- On Thursday morning, the US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was led by the Thai Minister of Foreign Affairs Mr. Kasit Pirimya to give a press conference. She thanked the Thai government for hosting such a fruitful meeting as she said she had productive talks with many member countries. She also said the United States is committed to working closely with Thailand. (voice)

item--5--- After the signing and closing ceremony of the 42nd ASEAN Ministers Meeting, Post Ministerial Meeting and Regional Forum yesterday afternoon, the Thai Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya gave a press conference concluding the outcome for the past four days. At the same time Dr. Surin Pitsuwan, the ASEAN Secretary General expressed his appreciation to all parties concerning the meeting arrangement. (voice)

item--6--- Phuket Governor thanked all parties for being good hosts and contributing towards a successful ASEAN meeting.

Talking to Andaman News yesterday, the last day of the meeting, Phuket Governor Wichai Praisa-Ngob thanked all parties concerned who have contributed to a successful international meeting in Phuket. He pointed out that there were no major problems or concerns which would damage the country's image and that was due to people who played good hosts to welcome visitors. He said this hosting of the important meeting prepares Phuket to be host for the ASEAN Summit in October and that he believes Phuket is ready to host the summit.

-------------------------

Andaman News NBT TV (VHF dial) at 8.30am & perhaps repeats on Phuket Cable TV channel 1 at 3.30pm, 7pm, 1.30am & 6.30am, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces & maybe Mazz Radio FM108 at 7pm in Phuket, Friday 24 July 2009 & http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/

& www.YouTube.com/AndamanNews