Divorce In Thailand

eutin45

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both marriage certificates are required and must be handed back to the amhur. In return both will get a divorce certifiate, which must be returned in case one marries again.

Both are certainly not required in Mae Rim Amphur office, when I was a translator/supporter a few months back.

She didn't have hers, he had his. Both received divorce certificates.

Edited by ludditeman

My Understanding has always been that both need to be returned. But this is what the department of provincial administration says (nothing about both needing to be returned):

Divorce

Divorce Registration

Procedures

• If the couple file for divorce at the District Office where the marriage was registered, the couple is required to file a request to the Registrar and to present the Divorce Agreement Letter which contains a settlement regarding personal assets, custody of children and other matters (if any).
  • If the couple file for divorce at different District Office, both parties must agree who shall file for divorce first and where. The couple is required to submit a request to the Registrar, as well as a Divorce Agreement Letter regarding assets, custody of children and other matters (if applicable).
  • If the couple are divorced by a court order, they are not required to register their divorce.

Required Documents

1. Identification Card.
  2. Marriage Registration Certificate or House Registration Certificate.
  3. Divorce Agreement Letter.

Hi,

I just want everyone to know that I went with my wife to lak si district office with passport and marriage very etc, and was told that I have to go through the same long process that I had to to get married. First, go to embassy to get a certificate to divorce! (What is that?) 2nd, have it translated, third certified at chaeng wattana, finally go back to district office then divorce! <deleted>?

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

And the question I always ask, when someone claims to have been given false information by Thai officials

Who told you that?

Did the Amphur staff speak English? Do you understand Thai?

or did someone with a vested interest in stopping the divorce act as translator for you?

List of what is required at Amphur office for divorce

One of the two Thai marriage certificates, your passport, her ID card, her Tabian Baan book, her co-operation, 30bht, someone to support you who can understand Thai, their passport or ID card, someone to support her and their ID card.

The woman who was sitting at the desk told my wife that this is the process I had to go through, I can't understand Thai. After this I went straight to the British Embassy and the officer at the gate seemed to confirm this. I told her I need a certificate to divorce, to which she replied 'first you need translate your marriage certificate, then bring here with passport before 11am.

Even if my wife did lie to me, why would embassy staff require all of this? unless she didn't understand me. But then she couldn't have thought I require a certificate to marry as she said translate my marriage certificate and then come back!

Maybe these are new requirements? Maybe the woman at the desk in the amphur was pissed off or didn't like me for some reason.

Has anybody else been told this?

Embassy staff know very little outside their job. I can assure you divorce for a thai marriage at the amphur office is very simple if the couple both want it.

posted using galaxy tab

I assume that it is only easy if you can get your wife back to Thailand if you live abroad ?

Out of Thailand you live by your own law so Divorce would be much harder.

This worries me a lot as Irish law is a joke with Divorce and how likely is it that a Thai wife would go anywhere near Thailand once she gets out.