Import Food Product

I need a little advice, well probaly a lot actually. How would I go about importing ( initially ) 10kgs of a particular food product from South Africa? I say initially as I am doing a bit of market research in Bangkok and Pattaya and if the product is welcomed then I will go at it full swing with all paper work and appropriate tea money but I need the first 10kg to give away as samples and to test the market.

Another thing is how much is it per kilo airfreight from SA to Thailand?

Answers appreciated.

Definately second the above statement...

Please be aware that most food products will require an import permit. If brought in without import permit penalties could apply and in some cases the goods may be siezed (in addition to penalties).

The good news is if you do this the "correct way" i.e. apply for the necessary permits you should not expect to pay any "tea money".

If you choose to gamble and are caught, penalties will most certainly occur and if you succeed there is no guarantee on the amount of "tea money" the customs officer would request (believe or not, many officers won't accept "tea money").

If you are caught, it could also cause you problems down the road when applying for import permit for regulal traffic.

My advice is to call a freight forwarder and do this the right way...

Edited by CWMcMurray

I need a little advice, well probaly a lot actually. How would I go about importing ( initially ) 10kgs of a particular food product from South Africa? I say initially as I am doing a bit of market research in Bangkok and Pattaya and if the product is welcomed then I will go at it full swing with all paper work and appropriate tea money but I need the first 10kg to give away as samples and to test the market.

Answers appreciated.

Hope its not Biltong or Droewors you are planning on, as you can already buy it in Thailand... :)

And as a plan "B" my mother sends me +/- 3-4kg in post every couple of months if that helps

Ok " salty dick " you got me. I brought some packets with me to do some market research but it has not been encouraging. Where are you buying your supplies from? Look's like I am going to have to revert to a plan B for a business idea but unfortunatley I haven't got one yet.

Hope its not Biltong or Droewors you are planning on, as you can already buy it in Thailand... :)

And as a plan "B" my mother sends me +/- 3-4kg in post every couple of months if that helps

Mr soutpeel

Haven't had biltong in a long while. :D

Could you be a good man and let us know where it can be found in BKK? :D

Ok " salty dick " you got me. I brought some packets with me to do some market research but it has not been encouraging. Where are you buying your supplies from? Look's like I am going to have to revert to a plan B for a business idea but unfortunatley I haven't got one yet.

As a plan "B" instead on importing the finished product, why dont you look at making it yourself in Thailand, you would only have to import or make the drying cabinets??

Granted you would only be able to make beef or possibly ostrich locally due to the the meat that is availible, but would be a start and if you can come in cheaper that SA pricewise, you could have an export market the other way ??..On your market research, dont know who you have been targeting, but wifey and all my Thai outlaws actually love biltong... :D

Suppose the other thing to consider is that Biltong/wors is actually raw meat, which is banned from being exported to some countries, not sure if Thailand has the same rule or maybe I have been lucky getting it sent through the post as Thai customs dont know what it is...

I get mine from a guy in BKK, who makes biltong and droewors as a "hobby", the one thing i am looking for is a regular and decent supply of borewors any offers ??.. :)

Whatever food product you import, you had better make sure it has a very, very long shelf life.

You will need it, as it will be hanging around in customs for months and months.

not sure how you can substantiate this statement. If you have an import permit for the food as stated above, then there should be no problem on he customs side.

As this topic is rather SME related, I move it also to the appropriate forum. :)

Answers appreciated.

for customs duty: donot be astonished, when you have to pay 30-60% over the costs + transport value.

whEN YOU fly IT IN, YOU PAY ALSO IMPORT DUTY OVER THE AIRFREIGHT COSTS

This + transport costs can be explaned by a freight forwarder, e.g. <snip>

Import Formalities Div, Thai Customs Dept, Sunthornkosa rD, kLONG tOEY, bkk 10110, TEL: 02 6715250

When you want to DISTRIBUTE on a commercial way: all foods must have an oh-joh approval + text in Thai ( might be a sticker.

To sell in TH to the retail organisations: they are nuts: want contribution for this, marketing supplement for that, distribution fee for another .. They all still believe you are Santa

Therefore I quit in 1999

regards, <snip>

Case closed. I had a chat with a friend of mine ( she works for a Thai law firm ) and she showed me the paper work required, the amount was about as thick as a telephone directory. The time frame can be up to 3 months to complete unless of course they change their minds and add another stipulation, so for me that is the end of the story.

Case closed. I had a chat with a friend of mine ( she works for a Thai law firm ) and she showed me the paper work required, the amount was about as thick as a telephone directory. The time frame can be up to 3 months to complete unless of course they change their minds and add another stipulation, so for me that is the end of the story.

I think this idea has crossed the mind of virtually every SA expat here. Why not run a test. It's quite easy to make a few drying cases, just get some tea cases or something with a couple of computer fans. It's humid here, so you need drying quick. Tried that in Dbn long time ago and it worked fine.

Hand samples out at the pubs. Try those chilli bites, the thin ones. should go down well.

Computer fans are not a good idea, have already tried it.

I wuz in mainframes. Well mini's at that point. Must've been about 20 yrs ago that I tried the biltong thing, so computer fans are a relative ? concept. I think.

Cannot claim any biltong-making expertise. Also cannot so no to any samples. I love volume when it comes to free samples and good biltong, however :)

We are all looking forward to Mr. Buffalo's treats but further promotion of this business shall be done through sales [at] thaivisa [dot] com.

As the original question has been answered I am sure it is about time to close this topic :)