Seasons, What And When To Grow

Another question from a newbie. What is good to grow during the rainy season? My courgettes and beans just seemed to stop growing and die. Some tomato plants are still going and the UK seed cos lettuce is OK. Have the beginnings of some musk melons forming on the plant - my attempt at fertilization may have worked. Small eggplants and sweet peppers at about 3-6 inch stage.

Hi Loong

That's a really useful planting guide you have found there  :) !! I'm going to print it off and see how it  compares to the proposed sowing guide I've drawn up for myself.

Cambodia climate

Dry season runs from November to April on the back of the northeast monsoon. November to January are cooler while February to April are hot and dusty. November is the coolest month, April the hottest.

Wet season runs from May to October courtesy of the southwest monsoon. Wet season brings some 75% of Cambodia's annual rainfall. July to September are the wettest months.

Average monthly rainfall during wet season 250mm

Cheers for now J

Thanks for the info,

Climate sounds very similar NW thailand.

Sounds a bit optimistic to plant tomatoes in July tho.

I don't see Toms in the sowing guide for July. I see September to January inclusive as recommended months to sow toms.

i am interested in the article mentioned but have a very slow gprs inet connection so downloading a (at least) 96 page pdf is just not going to happen.

can anyone pull out the relevant pages (start at page 75?) and make them separately available?

i am interested in the article mentioned but have a very slow gprs inet connection so downloading a (at least) 96 page pdf is just not going to happen.

can anyone pull out the relevant pages (start at page 75?) and make them separately available?

Hi Altman,

I'm not capable of working on PDFs, I don't know how!

I figure that a sowing guide in excel would be useful and have made a start. I've attached an excel spreadsheetsheet with the months of July and August. It may be useful to you.

It may be an idea to expand a spreadsheet like this, including actual experience of best planting times by members. Things may be slightly different in Thailand as well as in different regions.

Also some of the plants, I'm not familiar with, it may be that we know them by different names, so any enlightenment would be appreciated.

I didn't know that coleus was a vegetable! There are so many different leaf varieties, that I consider coleus an ornamental. Learn something new every day.

Sowing_guide.xls

Hi,

I've expanded the excel file so it has all the months now.

I've also done 1 worksheet for the year, the yellow highlighted cells are the months for sewing/planting.

Still more to do, so will include more when I have time

Sowing_guide.xls

Still only 17KB so shouldn't take long to download.