Taken For Granted / Taken Advantage Of

Spee

To the Thai Language Maestro's ..

Is there a Thai equivalent for the English phase of "being taken for granted" or being taken advantage of?"

I'm trying to explain to my fiancee' about some things that are going on at work. This is more or less the right English phase to use to describe the situation.

I'm having trouble getting the understanding with English, and have no idea how to say something similar in Thai.

TIA for your assistance ...

Spee

Maybe 'aowpriap'?  เอาเปรียบ

verb,  take advantage of someone or a situation, negatively)

Not sure of the correct sentence syntax, though...

That is what I would use too. The sentence structure is

X เอาเปรียบ Y . X is taking advantage of Y.

As for the other connotation of "take for granted" it can be expressed with:

ไม่เห็นคุณค่าของ x

mai hen khun khaa khawng X

Does not see the value of X

Hang on a minute - You have been setting up your own business. So the only Boss you will have taking advantage of you, is the missus herself. In which case a response of Alai Wah! is more approprite.

You think the poor girl is taking advantage? She has the patience of a saint putting up with you.

:o

Hang on a minute - You have been setting up your own business. So the only Boss you will have taking advantage of you, is the missus herself. In which case a response of Alai Wah! is more approprite.

You think the poor girl is taking advantage? She has the patience of a saint putting up with you.

:D

Alai wah??!??! :o

:D

Is there a Thai equivalent for the English phase of "being taken for granted" or being taken advantage of?"

I'm trying to explain to my fiancee' about some things that are going on at work. This is more or less the right English phase to use to describe the situation.

I'm having trouble getting the understanding with English, and have no idea how to say something similar in Thai.

TIA for your assistance ...

Spee

“being taken advantage of” in Thai we also say thuuk awo priaap ถูกเอาเปรียบ the phrase can be compared to passive voice in English

eg. phom thuuk jaw naay awo priaap ผมถูกเจ้านายเอาเปรียบ

(I) (was) (my boss) (taken advantage)

which means I was being taken advantage from my boss. You can apply the above sample to your own sentence by replacing the word jaw naay with the name of the person who takes an advantage on you.

Hope this help.

Maemali

Spee

Maemali

Funny, I was a Karen village 2 days ago name Maemali... :o

Please excuse the personal intrusion, but are you a native Thai? Born and raised here, or.... ?

We all welcome you, whoever you are. We need mored clued-in folks here to help us dinosaurs, and others... :D

Spee

Maemali

Please excuse the personal intrusion, but are you a native Thai? Born and raised here, or.... ?

We all welcome you, whoever you are. We need mored clued-in folks here to help us dinosaurs, and others... :D

hi I'm a native Thai. I found your forum by accident and found that many questions of you guys are quite interesting. They make me have a different point of view of my own language. I sometimes cannot explain why and how we use those words.

Spee

Maemali

hi I'm a native Thai. I found your forum by accident and found that many questions of you guys are quite interesting. They make me have a different point of view of my own language. I sometimes cannot explain why and how we use those words.

I'm a teacher, and a native speaker of English, and I also sometimes cannot explain why and how we use some words... Such is life in every language, I suppose.

Anyway, thanks for your valuable input here... :D

Were you raised in Thailand?