Hot Weather Tomato Seeds

• 1 year later...

Hi Soidog,

You've turned out to be the resident expert on toms, thanks for all your input.

I see that you were in the States when you made the OP. Did you arrange for delivery to Thailand or US? How long from order to delivery?

Have you started any of the seedlings yet?

I'm in Farangland at the moment, have some things to sort out and not sure when I can get back to Thailand. Hopefully it will not be too much longer as September/October are the best months for starting most seedlings.

I still have growing some decent toms at the top of my wish list and so thanks for pointing out this supplier. It is just what I have been looking for.

Hi Soidog,

You've turned out to be the resident expert on toms, thanks for all your input.

I see that you were in the States when you made the OP. Did you arrange for delivery to Thailand or US? How long from order to delivery?

Have you started any of the seedlings yet?

I'm in Farangland at the moment, have some things to sort out and not sure when I can get back to Thailand. Hopefully it will not be too much longer as September/October are the best months for starting most seedlings.

I still have growing some decent toms at the top of my wish list and so thanks for pointing out this supplier. It is just what I have been looking for.

She sent them to my US address in a couple of days, to Thailand you're looking at about 14 days.

The seeds are of good quality, you just need to do your part.

Best regards

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just buy some good looking tomatoes from Tesco, put them in a ziplock bag and leave outside in the sun until they are rotten mush.

Plant them in a compost filled container........voila !!

Hmmmm .. we always dried our toms in the sun .. rotten seeds?? Using seeds from a tom may work if they are heirlooms, but if the toms are hybrids, you could get weeds.

• 2 weeks later...

Tomatoes need a night time temp under 70F to set fruit. In SE Asia small fruited varieties are generally the most successful. I work on a small organic farm where we grow heirloom tomatoes and sell seed. Agree with the prior post saving seed from Tesco hybrids is a BAD idea.

Tomatoes need a night time temp under 70F to set fruit. In SE Asia small fruited varieties are generally the most successful. I work on a small organic farm where we grow heirloom tomatoes and sell seed. Agree with the prior post saving seed from Tesco hybrids is a BAD idea.

I bought good large Dutch tomatoes from Carrefour, ate the tomatoes and sowed the seeds in pots. I now have over a 100 large well formed tomatoes that are just starting to ripen on the vine, I grow them at the side of my house where they have shade except for about three hours every morning. Night time temperatures are around 20 degC at the moment and peak daytime about 35. They need lots of water and the main pest is leafminers, I spray with a weak mixture of cooking oil and washing up liquid, this discourages the moth that lays the miner eggs.

I am also trying spinach beet, English seeds, they seem happy, but runner beans are not happy in the heat, a pity they are one of my favourites, but I am persevering. I am also growing broccolli, Chinese Kale, lettuce and pumpkins and melons (the seeds free from shop bought fruits). My English marrows don't seem happy.

My garden is about 2m by 2 m square so much is grown in pots :lol:

• 1 month later...

I looked at the link from the company that is selling hot weather tomatoes. Some of them I have not been able to get fruit set in the summer heat in Illinois, much less LOS. Arkansas Traveler and Brandywine being my biggest disappointments. Winners from my experience: Cherokee Purple, Eva Purple Ball, Uncle Mark Bagby, Black from Tula, Black Cherry, Opalka.

Best tomato site is www.tomatoville.com. The guy there with the handle NC Tomatoman forgets more in a day about tomatoes than I will ever know.

I looked at the link from the company that is selling hot weather tomatoes. Some of them I have not been able to get fruit set in the summer heat in Illinois, much less LOS. Arkansas Traveler and Brandywine being my biggest disappointments. Winners from my experience: Cherokee Purple, Eva Purple Ball, Uncle Mark Bagby, Black from Tula, Black Cherry, Opalka.

Best tomato site is www.tomatoville.com. The guy there with the handle NC Tomatoman forgets more in a day about tomatoes than I will ever know.

I've had my best ever tomato growing season. Put a lot of work in to improve the soil and it paid dividends.

Please bear in mind that I'm no expert, just a hobby gardener, so forgive me if my questions seem stupid.

What causes the sqiggly white lines on the leaves? Once it starts it quickly takes over the whole plant. Does it really damage the plant? Any suggestions to reduce it?

The other thing is that although I am happy with the amount of toms that I managed to grow this cold season, they seem to lack that touch of sweetness. Some are almost lemony in flavour. This suggests that the soil is missing something. Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

Now the challenge is to groe some decent toms in the coming wetter months :)

I've had my best ever tomato growing season. Put a lot of work in to improve the soil and it paid dividends.

Please bear in mind that I'm no expert, just a hobby gardener, so forgive me if my questions seem stupid.

What causes the sqiggly white lines on the leaves? Once it starts it quickly takes over the whole plant. Does it really damage the plant? Any suggestions to reduce it?

The other thing is that although I am happy with the amount of toms that I managed to grow this cold season, they seem to lack that touch of sweetness. Some are almost lemony in flavour. This suggests that the soil is missing something. Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

At a guess, I'd say they are probably caused by leaf miners. The grubs are inside the leaves and leave a random white trail as they burrow along. If you have been using a chemical pesticide spray you have possibly killed the wasps that feed on them. Check the internet for photos of the adult bug

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r783300911.html

Is a reasonable article on the problem with solutions.

Isaan Aussie

Many thanks.

I know this is the organic forum, but; the only way I can successfully get rid of leaf miners; by using Abamectin.

If caught early, one or two weekly sprays will do it. Make sure to spray the ground around the plants or they will be right back.

Sprayed preventatively works even better. Young leaves get inoculated, your plants will be healthier, stronger.

Leaf miners are a scourge in Thailand. If not controlled, will cut your plants longevity in half.

The flavor comes mostly from it's genealogy, also they need full healthy leaves to produce sugar for the fruit.

Pick the tomatoes only when the color is very rich and the fruit separates easily from the stem.

Some of the Thai tomatoes taste just like you describe it. Bred for production not taste.

Good luck

Don't know where one can buy Neem Oil--we make our from our Neem trees-- but Neem is effective on all soft bodied bugs like leafminers. Destroys the central nervous system and makes the bug forget to eat. Chemical aficionados will say it doesn't work because2-3 days after spraying the live bug will still be seen on the leaf--but he ISN'T eating, just starving. Neemis also selective--will not permeate the exoskeleton of hard body carnivirous (good) bugs.