Bedlam

dclaryjr

QUOTE(Darknight @ 2005-02-20 23:49:54)

New Access Rules For BEDLAM and Other to be created (VIP) forums

As of today we adjusted the access policy for the old vip forum now called BEDLAM.

All users with a number of posts higher then 500 will be automatically moved to "advanced members" usergroup , from which they can access the Bedlam forums and others who might be created later.

In this way we hope to provide a Place for the long standing members of the community were they can talk amongst themselves. The members that were granted access before keep their rights

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just find this wording curious because I've been a member longer than the guy who wrote it. Someone could join, post a bunch of cra p, and hit 500 in no time. :o

QUOTE(Darknight @ 2005-02-20 23:49:54)

New Access Rules For BEDLAM and Other to be created (VIP) forums

As of today we adjusted the access policy for the old vip forum now called BEDLAM.

All users with a number of posts higher then 500 will be automatically moved to "advanced members" usergroup , from which they can access the Bedlam forums and others who might be created later.

In this way we hope to provide a Place for the long standing members of the community were they can talk amongst themselves. The members that were granted access before keep their rights

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just find this wording curious because I've been a member longer than the guy who wrote it.  Someone could join, post a bunch of cra p, and hit 500 in no time. :o

I have to agree here.

I forget when I first became a Member on this Board but it was certainly before many of those who now have 500+ , largely assinine / one liner Posts to their name and so automatically become eligible for elevation to the "VIP" Forums.

That said however, if the "VIP" or "Advanced Member" Forums are populated by the sort of people who believe that quantity is more important than content (with the tacit approval of the Moderators of course) I guess those of us who contribute more thoughtful and considered Posts to the General Forums are missing little.

Patrick

See what happened in this thread about bedlam?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=27903

We do our best not to let people post for the sake of posting, as my wife tries to stop me drink for the sake of drinking :o but hey, some things are never gonna change :D

Anyway, we are on top of it guys so just try to relax and enjoy yourselves.

:D

Problem is you are never going to please everyone? I think this is a faire rationale for gaining access based on post level. If this isnt workable how is one to determine access? (lot of whining but no viable alternatives)

Edited by britmaveric

I have to agree here.

I forget when I first became a Member on this Board but it was certainly before many of those who now have 500+ , largely assinine / one liner Posts to their name and so automatically become eligible for elevation to the "VIP" Forums.

p_brownstone

I fail to see any point in having the forum in the first place.

To those members that use the BEDLAM forum, please answer these questions with a reply that resembles a reply rather than "If you dont like it dont use it" "Deal with it" or "Thats the way it is". and then just close the thread.

So.

Why do you feel the need to have an exclusive club?

Why do you want to post something that only your exclusive club can read and reply to?

i'm not sure of the need for such forum but maybe in a few hundred more post time I will be in a better position to comment.

Chill out chaps, if you don't see the point in the forum then you are not missin' out on anything by not having access.

My grandma once said ' what you've never had you never miss' mind you she also told me that the moon was made of cheese.

Does it really matter. :o

Not really. I get what I need out of this forum. Like I said--I just found the wording of the message to be off base. If it had said "for our most active posters" or something like that, then there would have been no comment from me.

BTW, I have over 2500 posts in rec.sport.golf. Could I cash some in here! :D:D

Did you hear about the free beer that can be had by being in Bedlam? :D  :D  :o

Is it chang? What about free pies?

Whatever you want. Even whiskey. No pies sorry. The Ozzies ate them. You know how they like their pies. :D:D

OK I'm really envious of you guys now! If only I had the wit or knowledge to be more prolific with my posts.Maybe there could be top up bonus scemes based on the number of posts read or bonus points for starting a hot topic ?

ANy advice jockster?

Did you hear about the free beer that can be had by being in Bedlam? :D  :D  :o

Is it chang? What about free pies?

Whatever you want. Even whiskey. No pies sorry. The Ozzies ate them. You know how they like their pies. :D:D

OK I'm really envious of you guys now! If only I had the wit or knowledge to be more prolific with my posts.Maybe there could be top up bonus scemes based on the number of posts read or bonus points for starting a hot topic ?

ANy advice jockster?

Keep posting PB. You'll get there in the end. Just think an endless supply of booze at Daves bar in Pattaya. You need to have the gold plated Bedlam card with you though. :D:D:D

Hmm, does having more than 500 posts make you a 'long-standing' member? I have around 690, but am a member number in 3 figures....I think some 'new' members have posted over 1000 :o

Anyway, I prefer to stay an 'infected member' (long story - check my past posts...).

Guy's can you finally cut the whining about this ?????

p_brownstone

dclaryjr

TizMe

YOU didn't have access before ?? this thing has been around for months already.

And Now you're complaining that this forum exists??

You werent complaining about it before when the forum was invitation only???

I gave access to objective criteria that i and everyone else can relate to , and to criteria that i can use to automate entry to it...

YOu feels that's worse then having to belong to some insiders club where someone can give you an invitation because he knows someone else ?????

Beside's you're not missing out as apparently you have low post numbers and therefore don't seem to wanna join discussions :D , There no other discussions in there as in the rest of the forum. The only thing is that members that know each other through posting have a slightly more "private" forum to talk to each other.

I don't think you go into ROTARY CLUB and start whining there about why not everyone from the street is inside :o.

YOu want in, become an advanced member.....

You become one at 500 posts......

It's either that or NO SPECIAL FORUM......

UP 2 YOU

Guy's can you finally cut the whining about this ?????

p_brownstone

dclaryjr

TizMe

I'm not whining. I don't want in and don't care. I'll drop it since you apparently don't get the point I'm making.

I understand your post and sorry if you feel offended by the wording. It just the Third thread i read about the same subject already :D

It's simply the only criteria i can handle to determine access or not.

if i have to do it by join date, i have to include about 5000 members with 1 or 2 post who haven't posted for the last year anymore. Now what would be the point of that :D

The forum should be reasonably free of trolls as they surely don't last that long.

Currently there are about 100 members in there with others reaching 500 posts every day. So i Would hardly call it "elitist"...

Anybody can post there , from the moment they have 500 posts...simpel.

rushing to 500 posts will get you classified as a troll.

Now i'm gonna drink that beer in bedlam :D:o

I seem to be an "Advanced Member" after only 49 (now 50) posts. Is this a mistake? Not really interested in this new forum, just wondering why I have been so honoured with so few posts.

no sorry sir burr, the forum ranks also mention an advanced member. SO it's kind of confusing.

I'll sort it out later today.

What is important is the group:

Group: Admin

Group: members

not the member rank just below your avatar

As a new member to this forum i find it amazing that you should choose to have a forum excluding people who have 500 posts or less its elitist and smacks of a "were better than you" attitude something sadley often seen amongst many expats!!! I find it quite sad.:o

As a new member to this forum i find it amazing that you should choose to have a forum excluding people who have 500 posts or less its elitist and smacks of a "were better than you" attitude something sadley often seen amongst many expats!!!  I find it quite sad.:o

Maybe it's because they don't have to bother then, replying to people who just joined and apparently have set ideas how to run this board :D

This topic is closed... live with it :D