Mexican Food In Thailand

Judge

I know that this is the Chiang Mai section, but Tequila Reef has been recomended on Chiang Mai threads about Mexican food so many times that I just wanted to warn people not to go all the way to Pattaya in desperation - as I did! :o

I have followed the search for decent Mexican food in Thailand with interest. I believe it was Chingy who finally deduced that, "there isn't any". :D

Until a few days ago, I had one hope left. Several people had mentioned that Tequila Reef in Pattaya is the real deal and that the owner of, the excellent, Bourbon street in Bangkok is a part owner as well.

I finally tracked the place down this week.

I lived in San Francisco for many years, and I will tell you one thing, it looks like real Mexican Food.

However, as each and every super-type Burrito is completely covered in what tastes like bottled BBQ sauce - they call it "enchilada sauce" - I don't have the slightest idea what the other ingredients tasted like, but it wasn't like any Mexican food that I've ever had. The flour tortilla was springy rather than flat like it should be however, I can tell you that.

Anyway, one more fake Mexican place knocked from its pedestal! :D

Have tried Tequila Reef in Pattaya - and have to say it is pretty good in my opinion, and the food is not that spicy, but then I say the same about most thai food aswell - must be all those really SPICY vindaloo's that I lived off a long time ago.

Oh well - Tequila Reef is a good place, and the Margaritas are great too :o

carne asada: marinate flank steak in italian dressing for 24 hrs + grill

salsa: fresh tomatos, 1 med size tomato crushed (try to keep seeds out seeds), onion, 1 clove garlic, cilantro (fr corriander), pepper, salt to taste, chilli (med size green ones), lime.

its the only food i miss...mexican.

ps: i have never been to TR but i agree looking at the advert on the teevee. my first thought was - that aint no salsa from cali!

Edited by h5n1

I know that this is the Chiang Mai section, but Tequila Reef has been recomended on Chiang Mai threads about Mexican food so many times that I just wanted to warn people not to go all the way to Pattaya in desperation - as I did! :o

I have followed the search for decent Mexican food in Thailand with interest. I believe it was Chingy who finally deduced that, "there isn't any". :D

Until a few days ago, I had one hope left. Several people had mentioned that Tequila Reef in Pattaya is the real deal and that the owner of, the excellent, Bourbon street in Bangkok is a part owner as well.

I finally tracked the place down this week.

I lived in San Francisco for many years, and I will tell you one thing, it looks like real Mexican Food.

However, as each and every super-type Burrito is completely covered in what tastes like bottled BBQ sauce - they call it "enchilada sauce" - I don't have the slightest idea what the other ingredients tasted like, but it wasn't like any Mexican food that I've ever had. The flour tortilla was springy rather than flat like it should be however, I can tell you that.

I have to agree with Judge that Tequila Reef have developed a type of Mexican food which if you are a purist and you are going for a meal only this might not be to your taste, although every time I have been in their people seem to be enjoying it.

For a more rounded experience of the place I like to have a chat with the guys at the bar and a couple of beers before the meal....the steaks are pretty good...and the beer always cold.

One word of warning.....if you go for the Tequila reef record for drinking the large Margharitas be careful of the steep steps on the way back from the washroom. :D

One word of warning.....if you go for the Tequila reef record for drinking the large Margharitas be careful of the steep steps on the way back from the washroom.

Yeah that can be problematic - as well as making an exit out the side door by mistake on the way to the loo. :o

I ate there once and thought it extremely poor. I later in a fit of peak ordered a Door to Door take-away of tortilla chips, it arrived as an inedible box of mush.

I had no idea how good my friends' Mexican restaurant in UK was until I ate at Tequila Reef!

Edited by wilko

Make your own Mexican food...all the ingredients can be bought at Friendship, carrefour, foodland...including locally made salsa and tortilla chips. Taco dinner sets and enchilada as well as nacho cheese sauce is also available...That and a pitcher of margarita( 1 part tequila/1.5 part cointreau /1 part lime juice) mixed with ice and presto.... :o

Here's the story...

Rob, a guy who used to work at some prominent joint in San Francisco, was one of the founding partners. When he was in the kitchen at TR and personally did the cooking, the food was absolutely the best Mexican I've ever had outside the US. However, as usually seeems to happen with restaurants, Rob split with his partners quite a while ago -- a year or more, I think -- and after than the food immediately dived to El Patio Frozen Entree standard. It's a real loss.

Here's the story...

Rob, a guy who used to work at some prominent joint in San Francisco, was one of the founding partners. When he was in the kitchen at TR and personally did the cooking, the food was absolutely the best Mexican I've ever had outside the US. However, as usually seeems to happen with restaurants, Rob split with his partners quite a while ago -- a year or more, I think -- and after than the food immediately dived to El Patio Frozen Entree standard. It's a real loss.

What about Mexico? That's outside the US.