Cambodian Bandits?

devildog683

My wife called me last night around 2130 thai time and told me that the whole village was holed up at the local policeman's house while he and some other men were patrolling around looking out for bandits who crossed over from Cambodia. Apparently the hit a nearby village first, stealing bikes and anything they could sell later. Finally after a sleepless night it all ended at 0200 (0400 my time) and the Cambodians were seen going back to there country. I wondered if this happens often? It scared the sh*t out of me not being able to be there, not knowing what was going on.

My wife called me last night around 2130 thai time and told me that the whole village was holed up at the local policeman's house while he and some other men were patrolling around looking out for bandits who crossed over from Cambodia. Apparently the hit a nearby village first, stealing bikes and anything they could sell later. Finally after a sleepless night it all ended at 0200 (0400 my time) and the Cambodians were seen going back to there country. I wondered if this happens often? It scared the sh*t out of me not being able to be there, not knowing what was going on.

Apparantly it does. Thais will not drive on the back roads close to the border after nightfall. Two weeks ago we had a request for a taxi to study one of the Khymer Temples close to the border at dawn. My wife refused point blank.

Apparantly it does. Thais will not drive on the back roads close to the border after nightfall. Two weeks ago we had a request for a taxi to study one of the Khymer Temples close to the border at dawn. My wife refused point blank.

i do remember one night me and my wife were riding back from Surin (around 1900) and she told me to hurry ( she always makes me go 5 under the speed limit ) I asked why and she said "maybe bad man with gun come". I thought she was joking, but she looked genuinely concerned and asked me what i would do if someone stopped us and told me to give up the bike.....i told her it depended on the situation...

So you are pretty close to the border too, huh lampard? My wife is maybe 8 km. It only takes us about 10-15 min to drive to cambodia.

I heard of a spate of these raids happening around the Phu Sing area about a year ago. There have been raids involving kidnappings in recent years too. These bandits raid the bordering Thai villages for money or anything valuable, then quickly hightail it back to Cambodia once the Thai authorities appear.

NL

:o

I heard of a spate of these raids happening around the Phu Sing area about a year ago. There have been raids involving kidnappings in recent years too. These bandits raid the bordering Thai villages for money or anything valuable, then quickly hightail it back to Cambodia once the Thai authorities appear.

NL

wow, and i thought she's safer at home than, say, bangkok

NL

Why not stay there as a permanent security.

NL

Why not stay there as a permanent security.

current job situation doesnt permit that.....wish it did :D

A sister in law worked in a hospital near the border at Phu Sing up until recently. She's told me of the shelling that occurs across the border at times. There are still areas off the beaten track that flare up every now and then. Those problems don’t make it into the English news.

I forget the name of the village, but there is a Thai village on the way to the border crossing near Phu Sing that was known as a Khmer Rouge strongpoint. My wife mentioned it and advised me not to stop. She was a bit nervous as we drove through that village. That crossing is the one where Pol Pots grave is.

She only allowed me to visit that border area with 3 Thai police friends accompanying us. I've travelled to other border crossings without her worrying.

NL

now the village is starting its own little guard patrol

Don't blame you for your worry, but I'm sure many more worst things happen in Bangkok like any other big city. I would never trade the security I have here oin comparison to Los Angeles, where there are so many murders daily, they have just stopped reporting them. Being a bit cautio and common since seems to serve you well here.

i do remember one night me and my wife were riding back from Surin (around 1900) and she told me to hurry ( she always makes me go 5 under the speed limit ) I asked why and she said "maybe bad man with gun come". I thought she was joking, but she looked genuinely concerned and asked me what i would do if someone stopped us and told me to give up the bike.....i told her it depended on the situation...

So you are pretty close to the border too, huh lampard? My wife is maybe 8 km. It only takes us about 10-15 min to drive to cambodia.

No we actually live in Surin. But sometimes someone wants to go down that way. And of course driving the back way to Pattaya. She will only drive there when it's light.Pass close to the border there too,inbetween Lahon Sai and Wattana Nakon.

this topic has got me thinking..

my wife family lives right on the cambodian border about a 10 minute drive from the osmach border crossing..have never heard her say anything about this before..thanks for that

she told me this happens every 3-5 months. they wait for the police attention to die down and then strike again :o