Phuket Gangs Shoot It Out In Patong

george

Well said Geriatrickkid the fact remains that it is a holiday resort and it is not acceptable to say its thais shooting thais if something isnt done a tourist will be caught up soon its a fact. I live in the uk but i have been comeing to patong for six years i helped clean up after the tsunami so i know what im talking about. The governer, the police are not in charge the mafia is. Like 1 poster said give it a few weeks and it will blow over, this seems to be the attitude of the locals there mai pen rai attitude. What has happened about the locals protesting about crime the other month have they noticed a change, from the latest attacks it would appear not. Its ok saying crime is worldwide and yes we have a gun culture here England. In places like Blackpool we dont have shootouts in front of tourists or in Skegness. When is action going to be taken to try and pull patong back, and drive out the greed, the scammers, the mafia, the double pricing. Why does the new governor not act on these problems or is his attitude mai pen rai also.

Its about time you contacted the mayor directly and force him to accept the truth that the paradise that was Patong has gone and what is he going to do about it. The time to act is now while the major security officials are gathered there for the summit.

The truth is there in no one with enough conviction and the guts to try and change things. I would love to see it happen in Thailand,(the mafia fall flat on it's face). Find me a man thats willing to stand up to them and risk his life and that of his family in doing so. Don't think you will find one, Unless he's a p...ed up Farang with more booze than sense.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another blow for the tourism industry ,

Right now a lot of Scandinavians start their vacation to Thailand , and most of them goto Phuket.

Maybe not for long.

Australians already are very wary of Phuket, British wary because of the airport extortion case, then Danish just the other day.

It seems Thailand seems to make some kind of negative news on monthly basis where the main story is about either extortion of foreigners or how unsafe the country is.

Keep it up Thailand!

Oh come on. Thailand is as safe as most places in the world if not safer. Wait a year or two until the depression has bitten into every urban centre in the world and then you'll see what trouble is ! Stop moaning about Thailand and enjoy the amusing posts earlier in this thread.

I agree. What a bunch of gossiping girls. Don't you guys have anything better to do with your time like filing your nails or straightening your hair?

I live in a city voted as number 5 in the world as a best city to live yet we have gang related murders every week.

Phuket Thailand doesn't even come close. I would live permanently in Phuket in a heart beat as soon as my finances are in place.

Phuket/Patong is becoming more like a time warp every day - back to the "Old West" in good old Texas USA! It only needs an "OK Corral" on one end of the beach to let them just "Shoot it out". Bullet proof glass - great tourist attraction! Save many innocent too. These guys either took advantage of the lack in security along the beach, or just didn't give a toss. There is just no end to the hole the Thais are digging for themselves. These people just didn't care who got in the way, or who could have been hurt. They did not give a toss for the lives of any tourists or locals, who may have caught a stray round. This dispute is an old dispute that the police should have been watching out for. They definatly knew about it. The least they could have done was to warn the guys to keep their dispute AWAY from any crowded area, whether it be tourist or otherwise!! This last wee episode is not even laughable. Frightning in fact!

Ignores the fact that the dispute flared up at the actual location of the dispute.

Beautiful day to day in Phuket went for a nice walk at Cape Lam Promthep great wind not hot some people flying remote controlled gliders in the wind it was fun to watch. Sea had some nice surf today. Watched my granddaughters playing tonight at home and enjoyed the evening. Life is what you make it!

"Life is what you make it". So...according to your "logic" all the farangs (and locals) that are ripped off, mugged, robbed, raped, or killed in LOS or any other country made it happen due to some action or thought process. The women that are stoned to death, beaten, raped set on fire, can't vote, can't drive, have to ask a man for permission to do almost anything in Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, and many of other Islamic countries made their life that way. Hmmmm. I think you have been abusing Oxycontin with Rush Limbaugh and are floating in lala land.

:)

So Steve roberts when you work hard and you finance your new life in Phuket will you still have the same attitude when your scammed leaving the airport on-route to your dream destination, and once there you will be double priced and ripped off at every opportunity and when you jump in a Tuk Tuk for a 50 yd journey you are going to be stung for 200 bht. And if by any chance you start a succesfull buisness that will be took from you by force if you dont pay the big boys, are you getting the true picture yet of your dream destination because if that is the way your thinking you and your financies will soon be parted in the land of smiles.

:D ......mmmm....I really don’t know what’s wrong with some of you mutts...some of these posts...sheesh..

Listen, it’s very simple:

Forget about change – you’re playing in their stadium and if they’re gonna have a shoot-out, they’re gonna have a shoot-out.

Don’t for one single minute think they give a toss about you or your life. Drink from the cup of Monger and return home – they can’t go anywhere else, so who’s the winner? :D

Western values of fair play mean nothing here – leave these at your point of departure and just enjoy the ride. You have to get it into your thick head that for the Thais involved in the shootings, that’s how business is done here. Give a 30 year old Thai man with the education and petulance of a retarded 10 year old, a loaded gun, stir briskly with the Asian face thing and there you have it. :) It won’t stop and never will. C’mon, lads, think about it, you must have had a Thai lass say to you, “Farang yoo tink too mutt!” and she’s right, you just don’t think the same way and never will. Example: I was chatting to the Thai wife of my cousin the other day after they had just come back from the movies. They had been to see the new Harry Potter movie and she told me how ‘fantastic’ it was and asked if I had seen it. I politely told her that it was not the type of movie I like to see and she seemed incredulous that I said this. The invisible talk bubble above my head was really saying, “I hate that sword and sorcery crap and it bores me to tears. :D ” She is 40 by the way, but I appreciate she thinks differently....she on the other hand.... Like I said, we think differently. Different tribes from different planets. It really is that simple and calmer is better. Let the scammer rant, let the whore spit venom, you remain calm until there is no other way, and then just do what ya gotta do. This life ain’t no dress rehearsal, buddy, heh, heh....

Another blow for the tourism industry ,

Right now a lot of Scandinavians start their vacation to Thailand , and most of them goto Phuket.

Maybe not for long.

For your information - all of you: there's almost daily shootouts in Copenhagen, gang related drug wars. Why do you hype this one incident? Do you have nothing better to talk about than how terrible Thailand is treating you all?

The story doesn't say anything about injured tourists, right? I saw one comment about lack of accuracy, but to me it seems these gangsters were actually fighting each other - not shooting at random.

For your information , this happened at the public beach that most foreign tourists visits , and it happened during the daytime , shots were fired, people were killed. Luckily no farangs was hit.

Of course this is worrying news for a family that want a safe vacation near the beach.

Edited by balo

Moderators, could you please change the title of this thread?

"Gangs" is not the correct term.

From all indications (including the news article itself), this hit/contest is between two major powers in Patong. They are major landlords/financiers in the local economy.

This is not a "gang shooting" such as those that occur frequently in Phuket Town on the other side of the island.

Oh come on. Thailand is as safe as most places in the world if not safer. Wait a year or two until the depression has bitten into every urban centre in the world and then you'll see what trouble is ! Stop moaning about Thailand and enjoy the amusing posts earlier in this thread.

Fact,Thailand is the most dangerous country a tourist can visit. There are more tourists killed or die in Thailand every year than any other country in the world.

Fact,Thailand is the most dangerous country a tourist can visit. There are more tourists killed or die in Thailand every year than any other country in the world.

3rd in death by fireams.. Right after such tourist meccas as Columbia etc..

Fact? okay then.....http://www.nmg-uk.com/blog/holidays/10-most-dangerous-holiday-destinations.html :)

I think that there are a few countries ahead of us..Russia,Venezuela,Jamaca,South Africa,Columbia..I don't think we are 3rd on the list,but we can't be far off....

From all indications (including the news article itself), this hit/contest is between two major powers in Patong. They are major landlords/financiers in the local economy.

This is not a "gang shooting" such as those that occur frequently in Phuket Town on the other side of the island.

As a matter fact gangs where involved, the two sides both hired gunmen aka gangsters as "security guards".

As a matter fact gangs where involved, the two sides both hired gunmen aka gangsters as "security guards".

Off duty police officer was listed.. But same same..

Fact? okay then.....http://www.nmg-uk.com/blog/holidays/10-most-dangerous-holiday-destinations.html :)

Thailand is the most deadly destination for British holidaymakers, according to the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office

· It said that the figures, for April 2005 to March 2006 and released in British Behaviour Abroad, showed that "although Brits are getting more adventurous with their travels, they are not doing enough preparation before they go".

· Spain, which attracts 14 million Britons a year, tops almost every category for holidaymakers in peril. But when the figures are adjusted to show the proportion of visitors affected, Thailand is the most dangerous .

· The 381,000 Britons who travelled to Thailand between 2005 and 2006 were nearly five times more likely to die than those visiting the second deadliest destination — India. Some 224 Britons died in Thailand.

· British visitors to the country were also 50 per cent more likely to be taken to hospital in Thailand than in second-placed Greece. The latest figures show that 233 were taken to hospital.

· Almost 900 Britons required serious assistance from a consulate in Thailand. That figure equates to 24 for every 10,000 visitors, double the rate for Australia.

· Travel agents say that the problems are a result of cheap flights and under-prepared travellers.

I think that there are a few countries ahead of us..Russia,Venezuela,Jamaca,South Africa,Columbia..I don't think we are 3rd on the list,but we can't be far off....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_count...ated_death_rate

Country ↓ Total firearm-related death rate ↓ firearm homicide ↓ firearm suicide ↓ Firearm unintentional ↓ Firearm undetermined ↓ Year ↓ Sources and notes ↓

South Africa NA 74.57 NA NA NA 2000 UNODC 2000[5]

Colombia NA 51.77 NA NA NA 2000 UNODC 2000[5]

Thailand NA 33.00 NA NA NA 2002 UNODC 2002[4]

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Police identify victims of Phuket shootout

PATONG, PHUKET: Kathu Police have identified the man who died in a wild west-style gunfight that broke out at Patong Beach on Tuesday as 24-year-old Daruwat Burintarakot, nephew of the late Jintana Plaza heiress Komkai Kositkoon who was murdered in July last year.

Police have also released the names of the three men injured in the shootout, during which dozens of shots were fired and tourists along the busy road dove for cover.

They are former Police Captain Sunan Potsawatpairoj, 62, who was shot twice in the leg, Imron Yeebu, 35, who was shot in the chin, and Aod Ketkaew, 29, who was shot in the leg.

Police said the gunfight started in the burned out Jintana Shopping Plaza, which has been damaged by arson attacks at least five times in the past two years.

A police spokesman said it appeared Mr Daruwat, Mr Aod and a team of demolition workers had gone to the site intending to demolish the remains of the building.

Site caretaker Capt Sunan objected and an argument broke out, police said.

Capt Sunan then reportedly produced a pistol and shot Mr Danuwat and Mr Aod, sparking the gunfight.

A police spokesman said there was a long-running dispute regarding ownership of the Jintana Plaza land.

Kathu Police Superintendent Grissak Songmoonark said police recovered a number of bullets and spent cartridges from the scene.

Mr Daruwat's widow and other family members went to Kathu Police Station yesterday morning to discuss the shootings with police investigators.

All three men who sustained gunshot wounds remain in Bangkok Phuket Hospital and have yet to be questioned by police, a source at the hospital told the Gazette this morning. spacer.gif– Gazette reporters

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-07-23

:D ......mmmm....I really don't know what's wrong with some of you mutts...some of these posts...sheesh..

Listen, it's very simple:

Forget about change – you're playing in their stadium and if they're gonna have a shoot-out, they're gonna have a shoot-out.

Don't for one single minute think they give a toss about you or your life. Drink from the cup of Monger and return home – they can't go anywhere else, so who's the winner? :D

Western values of fair play mean nothing here – leave these at your point of departure and just enjoy the ride. You have to get it into your thick head that for the Thais involved in the shootings, that's how business is done here. Give a 30 year old Thai man with the education and petulance of a retarded 10 year old, a loaded gun, stir briskly with the Asian face thing and there you have it. :) It won't stop and never will. C'mon, lads, think about it, you must have had a Thai lass say to you, "Farang yoo tink too mutt!" and she's right, you just don't think the same way and never will. Example: I was chatting to the Thai wife of my cousin the other day after they had just come back from the movies. They had been to see the new Harry Potter movie and she told me how 'fantastic' it was and asked if I had seen it. I politely told her that it was not the type of movie I like to see and she seemed incredulous that I said this. The invisible talk bubble above my head was really saying, "I hate that sword and sorcery crap and it bores me to tears. :D " She is 40 by the way, but I appreciate she thinks differently....she on the other hand.... Like I said, we think differently. Different tribes from different planets. It really is that simple and calmer is better. Let the scammer rant, let the whore spit venom, you remain calm until there is no other way, and then just do what ya gotta do. This life ain't no dress rehearsal, buddy, heh, heh....

Well said Billy! One more time people, have a read of what the man said then move along :D

Thailand is the most deadly destination for British holidaymakers, according to the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office

· It said that the figures, for April 2005 to March 2006 and released in British Behaviour Abroad, showed that "although Brits are getting more adventurous with their travels, they are not doing enough preparation before they go".

· Spain, which attracts 14 million Britons a year, tops almost every category for holidaymakers in peril. But when the figures are adjusted to show the proportion of visitors affected, Thailand is the most dangerous .

· The 381,000 Britons who travelled to Thailand between 2005 and 2006 were nearly five times more likely to die than those visiting the second deadliest destination — India. Some 224 Britons died in Thailand.

· British visitors to the country were also 50 per cent more likely to be taken to hospital in Thailand than in second-placed Greece. The latest figures show that 233 were taken to hospital.

· Almost 900 Britons required serious assistance from a consulate in Thailand. That figure equates to 24 for every 10,000 visitors, double the rate for Australia.

· Travel agents say that the problems are a result of cheap flights and under-prepared travellers.

Yes,i see what you are saying now,most dangerous for British,not tourists in general.Pretty scarey stuff,no doubt. :D

I went to Phuket after the Sunami as a gesture of support. I went to bali after the bombing. Anyway. I went to Phuket again recently. I do not like Phuket. The taxis and tuk tuks are about a 100 times more expensixe than pattaya or Bangkok. The drivers are surly and sleazy and greedy. A short journey that costs you 10 baht in pattaya cost a thousand in Phuket. The dumb rich tourists, mainly farang couples, keep the the lazy tuk tuk drivers off the road by paying their extortionate prices. I mean they only have to do one journey a day at the rate they charge! So they just seem to sleep most of the time. The constant hassling by muslim street hustlers is nearly as bad a Morroco. They are rude, ill mannered and insulting. The whole place is expensive. And there seems to be gangs of thuggish Thai men chain smoking in the travellers' hotels and non smoking restaurants. The simmering haterd and envy the thais have for white people is more apparent in Phuket than Bangkok or Pattaya possibly due to the insisidious creep of political islam. Whatever. I always advise my friends against going to Phuket and increasingly against travelling to Thailand in general. Parts of Indonesia, Malayasia, vietnam, cambodia are all cheaper with nicer people. Thailand is really of interest now just to sex tourists and sexpats

I am stunned. 75 posts on this thread and not one mention of the C word. Where are you Scott?

People died, Thai people not farangs and no-one has mentioned C O N D O L E N C E S . Amazing. :D

A lot more than 75 posts now and still no 'C O N D O L E N C E S'. Thugs, gangsters have a shoot out in public endangering innocent people and end up getting shot. Pity they didn't ALL get shot DEAD!. 'Condolences? To who? Come off it, how soft are you?

I think you missed my point. I was being mildly ironic, as usually on this board the condolences come rolling in whenever there's a death..

No condolences from me in this instance I am glad to say. Hence my smiley. :)

So Steve roberts when you work hard and you finance your new life in Phuket will you still have the same attitude when your scammed leaving the airport on-route to your dream destination, and once there you will be double priced and ripped off at every opportunity and when you jump in a Tuk Tuk for a 50 yd journey you are going to be stung for 200 bht. And if by any chance you start a succesfull buisness that will be took from you by force if you dont pay the big boys, are you getting the true picture yet of your dream destination because if that is the way your thinking you and your financies will soon be parted in the land of smiles.

So sorry to tell you but I lived in Thailand from 1993 until 2006. THIRTEEN YEARS. I didn't experience very much of what you are talking about. I guess I know how to handle Thais better than most?

My advice to any newcomers is before you accept any set price is to ask what others have paid for the same services and not to gripe too much about being over charged a few lousy dollars until you have gotten more experienced and know how much you should be paying.

After you're familiar with local prices refuse to pay if overcharged. Don't go anywhere in a Tuk Tuk until you have first agreed on the price. Insist on using meters in taxis and take advantage of the skytrain. I used to take the taxi from the airport to the first skytrain station and then continue on. Once you are away from the airport it is not difficult to find a meter taxi. Use common sense and bargaining skills and you'll enjoy the experience. Even Thais get ripped off if they don't know the price. I once refused to go into Safari World because they wanted me to pay double the Thai price. Don't be such a Wimp and don't be afraid to say no.

Soon to be the hottest selling item in Patong

Weighted-Training-Vests-x2-vest-small-pic.jpg

No self respecting tourist will be seen without one. :)

issued as you depart the plane, a mask for the flu, and vest for the bullets.... and heck have some condoms too

don't forget to have enough money to pay for any missing bar mats and please make sure you pop in our ever popular duty free shop at BKK on departure;)

Good point, when the duty free farago burst and the guys were taken to a hotel ( as opposed to police station) did they have to pay for the hotel or was it covered in he £8,000 bung.

Anyway the point of this post is assume extra costs not inc in holiday inc surprise accom near airport, flak jacket, flu mask, condom..... oh yes and expensive free gift at the duty free counter.

Maybe my sarcasm detector isn't working...you realize know you just described a "gang." Maybe "mafia" would be more appropriate.

I don't know why any farang would want to do business in Thailand with Thai's or other farang. In the last year there has been a lot of killings of farang that were due to business disputes like this one. They have systematically killed the previous, land owner, set fire to her property 3 times, then they killed the heir. Life is cheap here, as are contact murders. I Brit I once knew claimed he contract killed someone in Chang Mai, and then cheaply bought himself out of prison there after a few months.

It's so nice to be poor.

So sorry to tell you but I lived in Thailand from 1993 until 2006. THIRTEEN YEARS. I didn't experience very much of what you are talking about. I guess I know how to handle Thais better than most?

My advice to any newcomers is before you accept any set price is to ask what others have paid for the same services and not to gripe too much about being over charged a few lousy dollars until you have gotten more experienced and know how much you should be paying.

After you're familiar with local prices refuse to pay if overcharged. Don't go anywhere in a Tuk Tuk until you have first agreed on the price. Insist on using meters in taxis and take advantage of the skytrain. I used to take the taxi from the airport to the first skytrain station and then continue on. Once you are away from the airport it is not difficult to find a meter taxi. Use common sense and bargaining skills and you'll enjoy the experience. Even Thais get ripped off if they don't know the price. I once refused to go into Safari World because they wanted me to pay double the Thai price. Don't be such a Wimp and don't be afraid to say no.

Skytrain ?? As an alternative to Phuket tuk tuks ??

The fact is your comparing a different place and a different time.. Phukets transport issues have become quite acute.. The tuk tuk mafia regularly pull stunts like agreeing a 250 - 350 baht trip (less than a km I might add) and agreeing when I tell them before I get in that its to the top of the hill, then stopping at the bottom of the hill and demanding another 100 baht to drive a few 100m up the hill. Its 4am, you have people in the tuk tuk, you have no other option but pay or walk now. Nice tactic !! Explain how you avoid that one.

...The tuk tuk mafia regularly pull stunts like agreeing a 250 - 350 baht trip (less than a km I might add) and agreeing when I tell them before I get in that its to the top of the hill, then stopping at the bottom of the hill and demanding another 100 baht to drive a few 100m up the hill. Its 4am, you have people in the tuk tuk, you have no other option but pay or walk now. Nice tactic !! Explain how you avoid that one.

Call the police on your mobile phone. Don't pay a satang. Wait for police. Don't give in or he will do it again.

...The tuk tuk mafia regularly pull stunts like agreeing a 250 - 350 baht trip (less than a km I might add) and agreeing when I tell them before I get in that its to the top of the hill, then stopping at the bottom of the hill and demanding another 100 baht to drive a few 100m up the hill. Its 4am, you have people in the tuk tuk, you have no other option but pay or walk now. Nice tactic !! Explain how you avoid that one.

Call the police on your mobile phone. Don't pay a satang. Wait for police. Don't give in or he will do it again.

You think the police drop everything and rush to your aid at 4am.. When the tuk tuk can simply deny he agreed the first price anyway..

Really !! Your have been here longer than that..

You think the police drop everything and rush to your aid at 4am.. When the tuk tuk can simply deny he agreed the first price anyway..

Really !! Your have been here longer than that..

Of course the police won't rush, but it depends how much you want to solve the problem. You say it happens regulary and you have other people in the tuk-tuk, and you still can't beat one tuk-tuk driver at his game?

Yes what I did was to agree to the price raise.. Get to the destination, get out and give him the previous money..

He of course flipped, pulled a stick tried to get threatening, etc.. But I got home at the agreed price..

Not a solution without risk.. But I would rather the risk than look in the mirror after getting screwed..