Medical Insurance

Doctor John

I don't, but I think when I finish up working so much and spend more time at my house I will get some.

I have no idea as to the costs, I am 49, and don't have any ailments, I don't smoke and am pretty fit as it happens, but, one never knows what will happen in the future.

Any thoughts on Medical insurance thats available in Thailand, any experiences, good or bad?

Thanks in advance. :o

I never have had any medical or travel insurance, I get sick of living in a cotton wrapped world where everyone is afraid to go outside without an indemnity clause. In my backpacking years I felt that as I was on an adventure of sorts then why have the safety net? I know people will call me stupid for this but I used to really get off the beaten track (al la proffesorfart) and never had a single thing go wrong, I am a qualified first aider and have done work for the red cross for over 20 years, my medical kit includes everythig from water purification equipment to sutures. I have stitched myself on occasion and class myself as pretty self reliant. I treck and camp in extream enviroments and pride myself on being able to get a fire going and build a shelter anywhere. This is my insurance.

I just hope that you don't have a road accident while you are in LOS, as I'm sure that possibly some medical procedures might even be beyond your scope.

I fully understand your "without a safety net" approach, your opinion may change somewhat if for example, you drive regularly around Chiang Mai, either on a bike or car.

Don't forget you may be the best driver in the world, but invariably the other guy is the problem.

I just hope that you don't have a road accident while you are in LOS, as I'm sure that possibly some medical procedures might even be beyond your scope.

I fully understand your "without a safety net" approach, your opinion may change somewhat if for example, you drive regularly around Chiang Mai, either on a bike or car.

Don't forget you may be the best driver in the world, but invariably the other guy is the problem.

I don't drive.

its pretty foolish and selfish to go un-insured healthwise in a foriegn country.

should you be unfortunate enough to fall prey to one of the thousands of ailments or accidents that can't be put right with a band aid or a couple of nights and a straightforward operation then the responsibility for arranging the care and footing the bill falls on those who are nearest and dearest to you , especially if you are rendered unable to speak for yourself.

6 months in a coma , 6 months of chemotherapy , a stroke that leaves one paralysed and in need of repatriation etc.etc.etc.

it's situations like that that can be very traumatic for those back home as they may have to struggle to raise the funds to pay the bills. the last thing that anyone or any family member needs when a close one is gravely ill is to have to deal with hospitals , especially the accounts dept and especially in a foriegn country.

i have had to arrange hospital treatment , nursing cover , payment of inflated and padded bills and flights back to the uk for a stroke victim , believe me when i say that i would not want to do it again , ever.

a good insurance company should take care of all this , and leave friends and family free to give moral support to the patient and each other.

getting medical insurance is not a sign of weakness but a sign of responsibility , both towards yourself and towards those friends and family who may have to step in , clear up the mess and pay some unbelievably high bills.

its more than a safety net , its a life saver , and the fact that you can look after yourself in a camping environment has , unfortunately , no relevance whatsoever to your predisposition to serious illness which can strike anyone at any time in their lives.

health insurance has , unfortunately , been the best purchase i have ever made.

you have absolutely no idea what can hit the fan tomorrow.

as any boy scout who can build a fire and a shelter will tell you....... be prepared.

That is you opinion, but nothing has befallen me yet and I travelled for years have lived here for a year so I really don't see the point. I don't worry about, if its time it is time. I can relax and not worry about the little things. I may live to regret it but ..######, I can't be bothered to worry about it to be honest

yes its my opinion , but you prove my point exactly.

should you be unfortunate enough to end up in hospital with a head injury , (through no fault of your own ..... you've tied your boy scout knots correctly , your tent pegs are firmly in the ground , your fire is crackling nicely ), if the head injury doesnt kill you and you are on life support system at 75,000b a day.

relax , dont worry about the "little things" and let your friends and family pay the bills and sort it out and let mum and dad and sis and bro come to your aid.

whos the real man now ?

i'm sorry toastwars , but your attitude is irresponsible and selfish.

for a small outlay you could relax and not worry about the little things.

BUPA has a good rep., but from the experience of various friends and colleagues covered under it, they can be pretty bitchy and argumentative about paying, especially if there's a ghost of a chance that some problem you have is even remotely related to any problem you ever had before being covered, and they will also try hard to prove that your current condition *might* be related to some pre-coverage condition that is uncovered, and so your current condition is uncovered, blah, blah, blah. That said, when you go to the major hospitals with a BUPA card, they start treating you right away.

"Steven"

That is you opinion, but nothing has befallen me yet and I travelled for years have lived here for a year so I really don't see the point. I don't worry about, if its time it is time. I can relax and not worry about the little things. I may live to regret it but ..######, I can't be bothered to worry about it to be honest

I'll bet 97 out of 100 people who've had something major befall upon them said the same thing.

Just saying.

jb

i've also heard bad reports about bupa.

try royalsun.co.th

they have a special policy tailored for expats , valid for up to 90 days outside thailand too.

ask their website and they will put you in touch with the agent that deals with the special expat policy.

its pretty foolish and selfish to go un-insured healthwise in a foriegn country.

should you be unfortunate enough to fall prey to one of the thousands of ailments or accidents that can't be put right with a band aid or a couple of nights and a straightforward operation then the responsibility for arranging the care and footing the bill falls on those who are nearest and dearest to you , especially if you are rendered unable to speak for yourself.

6 months in a coma , 6 months of chemotherapy , a stroke that leaves one paralysed and in need of repatriation etc.etc.etc.

it's situations like that that can be very traumatic for those back home as they may have to struggle to raise the funds to pay the bills. the last thing that anyone or any family member needs when a close one is gravely ill is to have to deal with hospitals , especially the accounts dept and especially in a foriegn country.

i have had to arrange hospital treatment , nursing cover ,  payment of inflated and padded bills  and flights back to the uk for a stroke victim , believe me when i say that i would not want to do it again , ever.

a good insurance company should take care of all this , and leave  friends and family free to give moral support to the patient and each other.

getting medical insurance is not a sign of weakness but a sign of responsibility , both towards yourself and towards those friends and family who may have to step in , clear up the mess and pay some unbelievably high bills.

its more than a safety net , its a life saver , and the fact that you can look after yourself in a camping environment has , unfortunately , no relevance whatsoever to your predisposition to serious illness which can strike anyone at any time in their lives.

health insurance has , unfortunately , been the best purchase i have ever made.

you have absolutely no idea what can hit the fan tomorrow.

as any boy scout who can build a fire and a shelter will tell you....... be prepared.

Well said taxexile....I never realised how smart I was to have health insurance cover, until I fell ill a few years ago with a strain of typhoid whilst in Pattaya.

My thanks to Bangkok Pattaya hospital for their speedy diagnoses of the problem and their subsequent excellent care (10 days in hospital).

I also had the misfortune to break my leg about two years ago whilst in Pattaya, and again due to private Insurance I received the best of treatment.

You might get away with being accident or illness free if you are lucky, but you only realise how worthwhile the insurance cover is when you need it. :o

Nowadays with the competitive market that is health insurance, only the ignorant go without. Even if you have no family or friends who you might worry/financially drain in the event of something happening, you owe it to yourself to realise that all the 'St. Johns ambulance first aid for beginners' courses in the world are not gonna help you in the event of a coma.

Rant all you like but let's hope you don't one day think 'Gee, wish I had listened to them.'

Believe me Health Insurance is a good thing to have.

I woke up in hospital in Sakon Nahkon i had been in a coma and on a life support machine for 5 days, dont ask me what happened as i am still not sure, found beside my motor bike. No damage to the motor bike what so ever not even a scratch. My wife (Thai) was in a right state as you can imagine. Not knowing if i was going to be ok and who was going to pay the bils if i did not come round. I was in hospital for the total of 3 weeks.

Total bil only came to 84.000 baht i was amazed at how little i had to pay. as yes i never had insurance. As soon as i got out of the hospital the first thing i did was get insurance. It pays to have peace of mind, and for your family to know that they will be ok if anything does happen.

Jusy my little bit on the subject.

Cheers Geordie