Where To Live For Fishing ?

JohanBKK

Hello,

I would like to move somewhere else, i really enjoy fishing and the beach.

I'm planning to buy a "small" speed boat for catch big fishs (between 20 to 50kg), what boat i should buy and how far to go ?

I have a baby (5-6 months) and a wife too, so i need somewhere with good schools and some shopping center, maybe a carrefour or lotus too. Near a golf course if possible too. Internet connexion with good speeds.

We are looking for hua hin or phuket maybe, or somewhere else.

Thanks for help.

Hello,

I would like to move somewhere else, i really enjoy fishing and the beach.

I'm planning to buy a "small" speed boat for catch big fishs (between 20 to 50kg), what boat i should buy and how far to go ?

I have a baby (5-6 months) and a wife too, so i need somewhere with good schools and some shopping center, maybe a carrefour or lotus too. Near a golf course if possible too. Internet connexion with good speeds.

We are looking for hua hin or phuket maybe, or somewhere else.

Thanks for help.

Well You can cross Koh Chang of your list ...... there are no big fish here ....the big commercial fish boats sit just off shore, and drag net, day and night......

theres just nothing left, thats what they do in a national park... I cant Imagen what they get up to, when they don't have to pay someone off to look the other way..

On a side note..... No Golf course(Have a driving range) a small no-name supermarket.... crapy local schools... but on a plus side, we do have a half decent internet connection..

I just wish the people left in charge, of the protection of one of Thailand's national treasure's ... could actually do the job that they are payed for, and not get payed to look the other way.......

Edited by SlackJawChef

I agree with poor sucker, the best ocean fishing is in the Andaman Sea. Too bad there isn't a catch and release fishery, or the protected area around the Similan Islands would be great. Unfortunately, everywhere there is a kill fishery the locals wipe it out and leave nothing for the future. It happens everywhere in Thailand. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground. It's either dead from over fishing or totally protected.

Going off shore DOES require a good size boat (18 feet or more) with a reliable motor and some sort of back up. It's just too dangerous if a storm comes up quickly and you can't run for cover.

I fail to see the relevance of green/blue water as regards fish size. Tarpon,jewfish,sharks,rays all at home in brackish, even estuarine conditions. Furthermore, running a few miles away from Samui or the islands you will find very clear water.

It could be argued that Koh Phangan or Tao could be easier to fish for the smal boat owner than lots of Andaman sea areas due to the short run to fishing grounds like sail rock. Certainly the sea is calmer for most of the year.

Plenty of gamefish here pretty much year round. Sailfish, marlin, king mackerel for starters.

post-13458-1248928514_thumb.jpg

I wasn't going to pipe in, since I don't fish at all. But, I am married to a more than avid fisherman, and with the right knowledge, there are plenty of game fish around Koh Phangan. No need to go all the way to Sail Rock, he never does.

post-4641-1249146981_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I wasn't going to pipe in, since I don't fish at all. But, I am married to a more than avid fisherman, and with the right knowledge, there are plenty of game fish around Koh Phangan. No need to go all the way to Sail Rock, he never does.

post-4641-1249146981_thumb.jpg

These are nice fishes.... :):D

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, to answer the actual question, I have seen many pics in Thai fishing magazines which are both in Phuket and also Hua Hin area (Pranburi) with some good fish in them. Saying that, I have seen good fish in articles almost all over the coast of Thailand. I think there is good fishing to be had in most areas, you just need a good guide/captain to show you some holding spots to begin with...

Hope that helps...I fully appreciate the need for fishinggggg!!

Hmmm I stay in Koh Phangan and have never had more than a tiddler round here!! Can anyone tell me where there is a knowledgeable captain/boat please?

Thanks

Most of the locals who fish use either a hook and line or a net (no rod and reel) and don't really take people out. I don't know of any guides that actually have the equipment and know where to go. I try to talk my husband into it from time to time but he's not keen on taking strangers fishing--doesn't like the usual "beer drinking on a boat" fishing types that we see here.

• 4 months later...