Audio & Quality Hi-fi Equipment, Thailand

neverdie

Audio & hi-fi, Thailand  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Are you into hi-fi and Audio? Would you be interested in supporting a forum for other Thai based audiophiles?

• I am an audiophile and would be interested
    • I am not an audiophile and would be interest
    • I am an audiophile and would NOT be interested
    • I am not an audiophile and would NOT be interested
    • What is an audiophile?
    • I dislike all sounds
    • My mother wears combat boots
  2. 2. Would you be more interested in an audio sub-forum if it included Home-Theatre related discussion

• Yes, I would like it to include Home-Theatre
    • No, I would rather it didnt include Home-Theatre
    • Either way its fine because its all good
    • Undecided
    • What is Home Theatre?
  3. 3. Are you happy today?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but only because I got to participate in neverdie's poll on audio
    • How can I be happy, my mother wears combat boots!

This poll is closed to new votes

Please feel free to add comments and suggestions in relation to ideas on what you think a sub-forum on Audio should include & then we can forward this to admin for their consideration. :)

ps: thanks to crossy for all his help.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It could be a great sub-forum crossy and back home in the mother land, I actually had two 'Systems' in my listening room. I had my simple hi-fi set up for music and my second system was a Home-theatre system for TV and DVD's. Good sound is a very addictive thing.

There are a few shops in Bkk that sell stuff like Naim, Krell and even one that has Audio Note - but they are few and far between and the prices are horrendous (big import duties) and I just wonder what the staff know about the subject.

Nice subject but how many ex-pats in Thailand have Naim, Krell, Audio Note or any other name like that when a lot of it costs more than a house(?).

MF, Thats true, however you don't have to have the very high end stuff (as most of us don't) to enjoy the concept of hi-fi or even home theatre set ups.

As I said in the previous thread, I only ever had the money to have equipment at the NAD & KEF level, which is hardly cut off your arm and leg stuff. There is also a second hand market in Thailand, so theres an opportunity to pick up good quality gear at much lower prices, although it would pay to be very careful, obviously.

Recently, I have seen various components here in Bangkok which I would like to buy & don't consider 200-300k excessive to do so. Theres heaps of guys out there just busting to part with a bit of their cash for something decent. Its also very possible to get something really reasonable at a much lower price than what ive already stated.

Anyway, thanks for your imput.

Hi 'neverdie'

I voted for:-

Yes, but only because I got to participate in neverdie's poll on audio :D

A vote is coming up in our Photo & Arts forum very soon, so all join in please :D

Have you found the lens for you camera that you where looking for btw. :) If so post a few photos then :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

Not too sure 'bout a dedicated forum on a website where there already seems to be a propensity for snobbery amongst people whos hobby is already so inclined

Although saying that, it would be helpful to have details of somewhere that could competently repair equipment and, personally speaking, a dedicated classifieds would be handy but only so as I can sell my equipment when I finally leave Thailand. Under no circumstances should the snobbery refuse talk of home theatre, tv's, i-pods etc

Edited by goldfish

QUOTE (neverdie @ 2009-07-27 18:48:00)

Hardly setting the world on fire with this poll

I once started a Glam Rock thread and was glad to get ? 4, maybe 5 replies. :)

BTW: sure, supported, can expect many views by me and some inside infos and many not so...ehm...entertaining statements.

Edited by Birdman

Not too sure 'bout a dedicated forum on a website where there already seems to be a propensity for snobbery amongst people whos hobby is already so inclined

Although saying that, it would be helpful to have details of somewhere that could competently repair equipment and, personally speaking, a dedicated classifieds would be handy but only so as I can sell my equipment when I finally leave Thailand. Under no circumstances should the snobbery refuse talk of home theatre, tv's, i-pods etc

Yes I agree.... Folks, something should be noted that there is a generation gap here. There have been a lot of advancements in portable audio, so much so, that if can be said the technology has reached Hi Fi status. I would not want to see folks being "looked down upon" because of questions asked by members regarding....

"Best Mp3 player etc"

(answer: I really like the products from cowon)

The forum should be a place where folks can gather for advice, information etc.... not a place of snobbery, when I think a lot of folks that engage in that activity are really victims of good marketing more than anything.

Well there would be plenty of room to move around inside there & if someone didnt want to talk ipod, they could just stay in one of the other threads.

I cant see how its any different to any of the other sub forums here at Thai Visa.

Anyway, maybe if this is left here for a couple of days a few might see it and vote.

So far I think we are looking at 20 odd for and 4 against.

I also noted that two people arnt happy because their mothers are wearing combat boots :)

....it takes all types.

Hi 'neverdie'

I voted for:-

Yes, but only because I got to participate in neverdie's poll on audio :D

A vote is coming up in our Photo & Arts forum very soon, so all join in please :D

Have you found the lens for you camera that you where looking for btw. :) If so post a few photos then :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

Yes Kan Win, I know exactly which lenses we are going to buy, but am sitting off the alleged announcement that Nikon is going to make next month regarding a new Nikon Camera (possible a D300s or D400). I have waited this long for a decent set up, I can wait a little bit longer, will let you know in the photography forum as soon as i part with the folding stuff.

Will also visit for the Photo and Arts forum. I have been as busy as a one legged man in an arse kicking competition lately, so much for retirement :D:D

Well that was worth while, my little sex sex sex stunt got us 4 extra votes ...

5 - sneaky bugger!

Yes, Home Theatre, 5.1, 7.1, Blu-Ray, HDMI, 1080p/i, 720p/i, digital optical, etc, all that stuff would be nice if it was in the same forum.

As for hi-fi, didn't that die out a few years ago? :)

For sound I'm longing to get home, rub op my technics decks and my old dateq mixer, put on some nice deephouse track, sadely on my secondhand B&W DM 220, because I have to rebuild my DM 330 from scratch, broken hi and cases, not to hi-end I'm afraid, but will do for me at the moment. The rest is all Denon, except for my philips cd-recorder. 300 w at 4 ohm the rest of the specs I don't know by heart, but I never open up more then half. No sub for me, too much. Oh baby, see ya soon!

I am an audiophile, not sure if there would be enough interest to justify a separate forum but if there is that would be great.

I was fortunate enough to stumble across a shop that sells high quality audiophile recordings of all genres , PM me if you want to know more.

I am an audiophile, not sure if there would be enough interest to justify a separate forum but if there is that would be great.

I was fortunate enough to stumble across a shop that sells high quality audiophile recordings of all genres , PM me if you want to know more.

Well you may become more popular than ever Mr T, sorry I mean mc.

Theres a few people about chasing recordings, maybe you can help us in a sub forum if we manage to get the numbers for george.

Anyway, one day in and about 45 votes, so not too bad, as Crossy said earlier its a fairly niche market. Most people are just happy to race out and buy that home theatre kit thats on special and kick back and enjoy, which is fine & I guess they really don't want to talk about that.

I keep posting here because it takes this thread back to the front page and new people read it and it seems to gain some popularity.

I have also been getting many PM from people here with great information about Audio stuff in Thailand. It would be great to be able to share that information via the way of a sub forum. :)

Well I'll post in order to talk about some things that I think are really cool:

Thailand, of all the unexpected places, has a high quality loud speaker manufacturer, called Norh. I do not own a pair, but the story behind them inspired me and so I or we started making hi-quality custom headsets. In the states they would run around 1K USD. No official launch yet, but we are gearing up for it.

I also know of a High End home theatre shop in Secon Square. What I liked about them, is they have a running set up, big room etc and they also offer good theater sofas.

post-11339-1248762511_thumb.jpg

post-11339-1248762589_thumb.jpg

post-11339-1248762954_thumb.jpg

Thailand, of all the unexpected places, has a high quality loud speaker manufacturer, called Norh. I do not own a pair, but the story behind them inspired me and so I or we started making hi-quality custom headsets. In the states they would run around 1K USD. No official launch yet, but we are gearing up for it.

I also know of a High End home theatre shop in Secon Square. What I liked about them, is they have a running set up, big room etc and they also offer good theater sofas.

I can vouch for what Dakhar has posted above ref home theatre shop, also a couple of shops selling

quality hi fi products, listening to them is an aural treat, you wont be disturbed by other people and wont

have music blasting out from 3 or 4 different sources.

There is a nice shop very nice selling analog equipment, the only problem was the not so very nice price tags.

Third floor on the rh side as you go in the main enterance as I remember.

Mate, they are great looking headsets. Are you telling me that you now have a business that is making these here in Thailand?

Heres a link with a bit of a write up about those nOrh speakers you have mentioned. Never seen anything like it myself.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/norh4_e.html

Keep the posts coming, have been told to let this poll run for a few days.

cheers everyone :)

thanks for the poll - the quality of questions was great

Your welcome njpski, we are only trying to establish if there is enough support out there for a sub forum for audio buffs.....WIFS did you want us to ask? :)