Audio & Quality Hi-fi Equipment, Thailand

neverdie

Audio & hi-fi, Thailand  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Are you into hi-fi and Audio? Would you be interested in supporting a forum for other Thai based audiophiles?

• I am an audiophile and would be interested
    • I am not an audiophile and would be interest
    • I am an audiophile and would NOT be interested
    • I am not an audiophile and would NOT be interested
    • What is an audiophile?
    • I dislike all sounds
    • My mother wears combat boots
  2. 2. Would you be more interested in an audio sub-forum if it included Home-Theatre related discussion

• Yes, I would like it to include Home-Theatre
    • No, I would rather it didnt include Home-Theatre
    • Either way its fine because its all good
    • Undecided
    • What is Home Theatre?
  3. 3. Are you happy today?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but only because I got to participate in neverdie's poll on audio
    • How can I be happy, my mother wears combat boots!

This poll is closed to new votes

The voting is obviously rigged....those results so far are an incredible ratio of audio-nuts vs ordinary folk.

Not that I care. :D

Crikey, <deleted> are you talking about, a conspiracy between the people interested in audio and the US Govt? :):D

I would of thought that most people that wernt interested in Audio probably would of just bypassed the thread all together, which is fine.

I'm not really into platting my own shit either, so I havent bothered dropping past the 'platting shit' forum to leave my remarks.

As Crossy said, the results arent too bad & especially when one considers how many regular posters actually post on a daily (or approximately) basis.

How am I to rig such a poll, do you think Im hacking the Thai Visa system?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The voting is obviously rigged....those results so far are an incredible ratio of audio-nuts vs ordinary folk.

Not that I care. :D

Crikey, <deleted> are you talking about, a conspiracy between the people interested in audio and the US Govt? :):D

I would of thought that most people that wernt interested in Audio probably would of just bypassed the thread all together, which is fine.

I'm not really into platting my own shit either, so I havent bothered dropping past the 'platting shit' forum to leave my remarks.

As Crossy said, the results arent too bad & especially when one considers how many regular posters actually post on a daily (or approximately) basis.

How am I to rig such a poll, do you think Im hacking the Thai Visa system?

Nah mate, just yanking yer chain.

:D

Well thats about 500 views on the poll and about 10% of them have bothered to complete the poll.

Thus far in the poll about 38 positive replies, 10 negative and 4 people out there have mothers who wear combat boots :)

hugeheadphones.th.jpg

Cans are for girls!

Yes NeverDie we make custom hi-fi headsets. All hand crafted, all works of art, every piece "one off" for the customer. We offer around 12 different colors, and 4 different types of wood. It is all up to the customer. The sound quality is very good, very accurate & full of detail. (Which is what balanced armature drivers and known for)

If you are bored and live in the BKK area come by and take a tour, see our lab etc.

If you want, watch this video and you will get an understanding of the build process. BTY we are not ultimateears, it is just that the video is pretty much what we do and we do some things that they do not. Right now we have the ability to build one set in 16hrs. Very tedious but I do enjoy it, it is very theraputic work. We are buying more equipment and getting more staff to gear up for the official launch.

Edited by Dakhar

Dakhar,

Thanks for those links, very interesting. I've never owned a decent pair, having said that my mp3 player is very sub standard & well used.

They certainly do make those cans look very ordinary, but they didnt really need any help,did they?

neverdie,

to continue from your post to me on the parallel thread: Yes, Shearne Audio were quite highly rated. Built in the UK, amazing marble-look fascias, valve-like sounds from transistors and hand-built, they look a wreck if you open them but sound sublime. The company went bust over a decade ago so can pick up some nice pre-power or integrated amps on ebay for good prices.

The European stuff is certainly expensive in Thailand, even 2nd hand, but the American, Japanese and Chinese brands are good value. But not as good value as buying from Singapore! The Thai audiophiles (can often be classified as very rich, want the hi-fi as furniture and then trade it in frequently to Mr Balance in Pantip) fly to Singapore first class on Thai where they stock up 50-80kg of stuff and bring it back, probably avoiding customs too. Cheaper to do that than get it sent and pass it through the "formal" import procedure. We all know what that involves.

Some great forums out there, PM me if you want the URL. Keep meaning to get back to the big London hi-fi show in September but always end up needing to stay in Bangkok that month.

By the way, hi-fi centre in Bangkok make some great racks and stands at good prices. Some are replicas of the German Schroers & Schroers brand which is sold in the shop next door!

Dakhar,

Thanks for those links, very interesting. I've never owned a decent pair, having said that my mp3 player is very sub standard & well used.

They certainly do make those cans look very ordinary, but they didnt really need any help,did they?

If you want an MP3 and do not care for the phone and other fluff, but just want Darn good sound quality, I suggest the Cowon I-Audio7. For the money, you just can't do any better, and if you read the reviews folks rate them well over I-Pod. IPod does remain king when it comes to ease of use though, but with Cowon you can "drag and drop" music, you do not need I-tunes... which makes it a prime product for a market like Thailand.

A 4g Cowon will cost u less that 100USD, in fact there are 16g on ebay for around 140USD.

I absolutley love mine, and they are very rugged.

Interesting aspects everywhere here. e.g. nice audio components need equated surroundings too. Meaning well temperated rooms, without moister to avoid mould. Ants in a speaker, will they check out by playing Schoenberg?

:)

I have always appreciated good sound , but most of it is stuff i will never be able to afford , but it would be nice if some of these hi - end Hi Fi stores could be encouraged to do a "promotion" and organise special nights where we can audition some of their stuff on offer . Maybe they will even get some business out of it while the rest of us drool .

Interesting aspects everywhere here. e.g. nice audio components need equated surroundings too. Meaning well temperated rooms, without moister to avoid mould. Ants in a speaker, will they check out by playing Schoenberg?

:D

:):D:D

Chaps, I have spoken with Sbk about this and she will be attending to it at some time later this afternoon. I am guessing it will have to go to the Big Guy who will consider it.

I don't know what other sub forums have had to have number wise to kick off, BUT, I can say that considering this is a fairly niche area, it has been good to see so many take part in the poll. A big THANKYOU to all involved.

At last count we had 64 people participating in the Poll.

44 People were in favour of a subforum for hi-fi & audio.

12 People were against.

The other 8 people either didnt answer all the questions or their mothers wear combat boots :):D (Go figure) :D .

The majority want to include Home Theatre discussion in the forum, which in my opinion is fine because if you look at any of the other sub forums they normally have various topics of pinned information and numerous other threads.

On top of that we have had some fantastic suggestions to include discussion about other items such as in car audio, portable audio, music purchases etc etc.

Overall I think its been a good result, especially when one considers actually how many people POST DAILY on Thai Visa and perhaps the amount of members that may have not seen the thread/poll.

Anyway, its out of my hands, I will let the powers to be thrash it out & hopefully we will get a POSITIVE result. I have suggested to Crossy that he be the moderator to the forum, because (a) Hes interested & ( b ) He gave me some tea money & Im part of the Crossy fan club.

If we get a negative result...I shall stick a couple of extra pins in my admin dolls. :D

Edited by neverdie

For you guys running mid/high end systems, do you find the mains quality OK in Thailand? The PS Audio Powerplant is supposed to work wonders on poor mains, thinking about buying one here in the UK.

My system here is:

Analog - Funk Firm Vector/Roksan Nima-Nordost Heimdall/Ortofon Rondo Bronze

Digital - Sugden CD Master or Benchmark DAC1

rest of Sugden Bijou system (Headmaster and Ampmaster)

Headphones - Etymotic ER4P, modified/recabled Denon D5000, modified/recabled AKG K701

Speakers - Proac Tablette Ref 8 sig

Singapore is recommended for good range of hi-fi, big choice of headphones there if that's your bag.

Cheers!

Edited by MarkyM3

For you guys running mid/high end systems, do you find the mains quality OK in Thailand? The PS Audio Powerplant is supposed to work wonders on poor mains, thinking about buying one here in the UK.

My system here is:

Analog - Funk Firm Vector/Roksan Nima-Nordost Heimdall/Ortofon Rondo Bronze

Digital - Sugden CD Master or Benchmark DAC1

rest of Sugden Bijou system (Headmaster and Ampmaster)

Headphones - Etymotic ER4P, modified/recabled Denon D5000, modified/recabled AKG K701

Speakers - Proac Tablette Ref 8 sig

Singapore is recommended for good range of hi-fi, big choice of headphones there if that's your bag.

Cheers!

Nice system Marky. PS Audio products have an excellent reputation, as do Isotek. Quite a few PS products on the 2nd hand market in Thailand too. The mains supply is meant to be very inconsistent, so a mains cleaner would definitely be first on my list.

Yep I think it's a great idea, I might even know someone who would be interested in sponsoring an audio subforum.

Depending on the cost, I know I am interested & we are local and not just a future retailer.

Edited by Dakhar

Yep I think it's a great idea, I might even know someone who would be interested in sponsoring an audio subforum.

Depending on the cost, I know I am interested & we are local and not just a future retailer.

Well, well, well I have just seen this and not sure if the admin people are aware, I will bring it to their attention. Thankyou very much.

Also MarkyM3, I know if I had a decent system here (perhaps after thai visa forum is made) that I wouldnt consider plugging anything decent into the mains without something like what you are talking about. I think the consensus here is that would be a great idea, I have already spoken to a few by PM that suggested exactly that.