Audio & Quality Hi-fi Equipment, Thailand

neverdie

Audio & hi-fi, Thailand  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Are you into hi-fi and Audio? Would you be interested in supporting a forum for other Thai based audiophiles?

• I am an audiophile and would be interested
    • I am not an audiophile and would be interest
    • I am an audiophile and would NOT be interested
    • I am not an audiophile and would NOT be interested
    • What is an audiophile?
    • I dislike all sounds
    • My mother wears combat boots
  2. 2. Would you be more interested in an audio sub-forum if it included Home-Theatre related discussion

• Yes, I would like it to include Home-Theatre
    • No, I would rather it didnt include Home-Theatre
    • Either way its fine because its all good
    • Undecided
    • What is Home Theatre?
  3. 3. Are you happy today?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but only because I got to participate in neverdie's poll on audio
    • How can I be happy, my mother wears combat boots!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

trade secrets....

but yes, my hands were involved in all of these. They are built in phases, and I take care of certain phases. I do not have to be a part of the build process.... I just enjoy it, so I get my hands dirty.

According to the information you have provided us with so far they sound great, what sort of coin do you have to part with to purchase them here in Thailand? Can you just give us an idea of what price they start at? The would be great inside my helmet.

Coin wise, you probably have it in your wallet right now.... These types of products retail from 400 - 1200 USD in the states, and we are below that area.

Truth be known, there are only 2 supliers for balanced armature drivers in the world, so what ever "the other guys have" we have acess to. Of course "they" don't like to talk about that.... So it really comes down to who can build the best "cabinets" and for the best price. In my humble opinion, we are artisans & we take a lot of pride in our work.

For you guys running mid/high end systems, do you find the mains quality OK in Thailand? The PS Audio Powerplant is supposed to work wonders on poor mains, thinking about buying one here in the UK.

Not so OK for me in my Bangkok condo (but OK during extended holiday like Songkran or new year when residents are away on vacation). Costing close to 100K baht, PS Audio Power Plant Premier would be a great asset to have for an audiophile in any country. Some say it's so great that you'd be better off buying PPP than spending same amount for component upgrade. I've yet to invest in PPP, but bought PS Audio Duet line conditioner and 6 noise harvesters which work great, but far from perfect. Now contemplating upgrading Duet to PPP or Nordost Quantum (or Richard Gray's Power Company 400Pro at modest 40,000 + baht).

Edited by Nordlys

Coin wise, you probably have it in your wallet right now.... These types of products retail from 400 - 1200 USD in the states, and we are below that area.

Truth be known, there are only 2 supliers for balanced armature drivers in the world, so what ever "the other guys have" we have acess to. Of course "they" don't like to talk about that.... So it really comes down to who can build the best "cabinets" and for the best price. In my humble opinion, we are artisans & we take a lot of pride in our work.

As I said before, I would eventually like something like that for when im riding, my current set often move in my ears or are disloged by my helmet, which is a real pain in the backside. Having said that, I like to wear something but still be able to hear the cars around me, for obvious reasons. I also want to upgrade my mp3 player, i have a very old iriver one which is on its way out :)

Yep I think it's a great idea, I might even know someone who would be interested in sponsoring an audio subforum.

Depending on the cost, I know I am interested & we are local and not just a future retailer.

Whats a future retailer?

MF, Thats true, however you don't have to have the very high end stuff (as most of us don't) to enjoy the concept of hi-fi or even home theatre set ups.

As I said in the previous thread, I only ever had the money to have equipment at the NAD & KEF level, which is hardly cut off your arm and leg stuff. There is also a second hand market in Thailand, so theres an opportunity to pick up good quality gear at much lower prices, although it would pay to be very careful, obviously.

Recently, I have seen various components here in Bangkok which I would like to buy & don't consider 200-300k excessive to do so. Theres heaps of guys out there just busting to part with a bit of their cash for something decent. Its also very possible to get something really reasonable at a much lower price than what ive already stated.

Anyway, thanks for your imput.

Sorry But I don't regard NAD & Kef as High end. If you talk about High End we should talk about Arcam, Monitor Audio, Bose and other US and UK made stuff. and let the Japanese out of it, because there is not even one brand who can be regarded as High End. And lets not talk about CD players because they can't even be remotely compared with the transparency of the sound given by an vinyl record player and tape recorder as there are Revox and Thorens, an CD just don't have the warm and detailed sound of an vinyl record. Its technically perfect but have no soul. Just listen to classic, jazz and big band music and you will hear the difference.

Sorry But I don't regard NAD & Kef as High end. If you talk about High End we should talk about Arcam, Monitor Audio, Bose and other US and UK made stuff. and let the Japanese out of it, because there is not even one brand who can be regarded as High End. And lets not talk about CD players because they can't even be remotely compared with the transparency of the sound given by an vinyl record player and tape recorder as there are Revox and Thorens, an CD just don't have the warm and detailed sound of an vinyl record. Its technically perfect but have no soul. Just listen to classic, jazz and big band music and you will hear the difference.

I wouldn't call Bose high-end, Nad and Kef would blow a Bose system of twice the cost out of the water.

trade secrets....

but yes, my hands were involved in all of these. They are built in phases, and I take care of certain phases. I do not have to be a part of the build process.... I just enjoy it, so I get my hands dirty.

ever heard of sales [at] thaivisa.com? The new forum needs a sponsor....<winkwink> :)

MF, Thats true, however you don't have to have the very high end stuff (as most of us don't) to enjoy the concept of hi-fi or even home theatre set ups.

As I said in the previous thread, I only ever had the money to have equipment at the NAD & KEF level, which is hardly cut off your arm and leg stuff. There is also a second hand market in Thailand, so theres an opportunity to pick up good quality gear at much lower prices, although it would pay to be very careful, obviously.

Recently, I have seen various components here in Bangkok which I would like to buy & don't consider 200-300k excessive to do so. Theres heaps of guys out there just busting to part with a bit of their cash for something decent. Its also very possible to get something really reasonable at a much lower price than what ive already stated.

Henry, did you feel like coming in and giving yourself a little rub up did you, no where in my post did I say that NAD and KEF were HIGH END, I actually said..^^^^ "I only ever had the money to buy at the NAD and KEF level". For some reason you seem to think that gear is Japanese (you seem to talk about Japanese right after mentioning that) neither of them are Japaneese, both companies are from the UK & USA.. I accept that both KEF and NAD make their stuff off shore now, I think KEF is made in china,not sure and NAD gear has probably left the uk too, but all my gear pre dates that anyway.

Whilst I may have only had a relative moderate type of system I have wealthy friends who have been good enough to me to share their systems worth multiples of my little system. Having said they, you would be surprised how good a dual turntable through one of the original nad intergrated amplifiers and a set of KEF's could sound.

If you want to sprout off about top end hi-fi be my guest, I love the stuff, but lets get real and talk about good stuff not bose. Maybe you should go and sample some of the gear I posted earlier like Sonus Faber, McIntosh, Mbl, linn, Gershman Acoustics etc.

When the sub forum gets going, we can obviously have various threads inside it where you can go inside and discuss whatever it is that tickles your fancy, because afterall we are all different and what impresses one group maynot impress the others.

Give yourself an uppercut henry, read the entire thread next time before you bounce in and start on your bandwagon. Have a good day & please come to the subforum and share your wealth of knowledge with us as soon as its set up.

Edited by neverdie

Hello everyone.

Good news is: Admin has approved an Audio Sub Forum and is working on the set up of it right now!

Thankyou very much to sbk, george and the other admin people.

Either I or one of them will update you when its ready to rumble.

^^ great mc2 I will let them know :D:D:) , old mate, old buddy :D .

Normally the sub forums don't attract the same sort of trouble as the main, so hopefully mc2 you will be a good boy, okay?

ok ok ok

hey bro and when you gonna post back all those mp3 cds i lent you ? its been 3 months already :D

If we get a negative result...I shall stick a couple of extra pins in my admin dolls. :D

neverdie, I told you to get rid of those dolls. You know those things lose air as soon as you stick pins in them :)

trade secrets....

ever heard of sales [at] thaivisa.com? The new forum needs a sponsor....<winkwink> :)

no I have never head of "sales at thaivisa.com"

But currently we do not sell any IEMs we have a long way to go before we can do that. I hope in 2010 we can have an official launch.... (fingers crossed) The posted photos, are IEMs that we have made for the main purpose of placing them on our web site.... (yet to be created) (any offers on that project) We plan to have a "gallery" of our work....

The most recent images I posted are "dummies" and do not even have any electronics mounted in them.

^^ great mc2 I will let them know :D:D:) , old mate, old buddy :D .

Normally the sub forums don't attract the same sort of trouble as the main, so hopefully mc2 you will be a good boy, okay?

ok ok ok

hey bro and when you gonna post back all those mp3 cds i lent you ? its been 3 months already :D

Yeah but they were mp3's of your mate thaxsin crying over more spilt milk. I want to WARN you there will be no Political talk in the Audio forum, unless of course ur mate will lend us some $$$$$BAHT to buy a few hi fi systems :D

If we get a negative result...I shall stick a couple of extra pins in my admin dolls. :D

neverdie, I told you to get rid of those dolls. You know those things lose air as soon as you stick pins in them :D

Yes don't worry sbk, I have two sets of dolls, a little george, baz & sbk which I stick pins into and then I have the regular blow up version & you should see what those 3 sickos get up to.....You lot really need to see a HEAD doctor :):D .....I can recommend a good one :D

A subforum in the Internet Technology area would make sense.

PS I wear my mother's combat boots. :)

astral, we actually had a complaint from your mother fresh in.....she asked you to return the boots and her underwear as well.....YOU ANIMAL ! :D

Henry, did you feel like coming in and giving yourself a little rub up did you, no where in my post did I say that NAD and KEF were HIGH END, I actually said..^^^^ "I only ever had the money to buy at the NAD and KEF level". For some reason you seem to think that gear is Japanese (you seem to talk about Japanese right after mentioning that) neither of them are Japaneese, both companies are from the UK & USA.. I accept that both KEF and NAD make their stuff off shore now, I think KEF is made in china,not sure and NAD gear has probably left the uk too, but all my gear pre dates that anyway.

Whilst I may have only had a relative moderate type of system I have wealthy friends who have been good enough to me to share their systems worth multiples of my little system. Having said they, you would be surprised how good a dual turntable through one of the original nad intergrated amplifiers and a set of KEF's could sound.

If you want to sprout off about top end hi-fi be my guest, I love the stuff, but lets get real and talk about good stuff not bose. Maybe you should go and sample some of the gear I posted earlier like Sonus Faber, McIntosh, Mbl, linn, Gershman Acoustics etc.

When the sub forum gets going, we can obviously have various threads inside it where you can go inside and discuss whatever it is that tickles your fancy, because afterall we are all different and what impresses one group maynot impress the others.

Give yourself an uppercut henry, read the entire thread next time before you bounce in and start on your bandwagon. Have a good day & please come to the subforum and share your wealth of knowledge with us as soon as its set up.

I think there is some misunderstanding, maybe its because I'm not an native English speaker. I did understand that you did not call KEF & NAD High End. So I do apologize even it was completely not intended or even in my thaughts.

IMHO High End appliances are an investment and don't loose much value over the years

Mine is about 40 years old. Thorens TD 125 record player last year I had an offer from an HIFI shop who did still give 500 Euro without buying new equipment I bought it second hand 30 years ago for 250 Euro. The same for my Revox A77 I can sell it for an higher price than I bough it 30 years ago second hand. I still have an Quad, but I replaced it by Arcam. My speakers are Monitor Audio.

When I just moved my Thai family who are Audio fanatics joked with me asking if my antique system still worked. I just laughed and invited them one week later to come to listen. They stayed all day listen music amazed that such quality even existed.

If there are people who still have Quad speakers, well these day's they pay a fortune for them in Europe.

The same go's for first pressings of LP Vinyl records. 250 Euro are no exceptions. Some shops in BKK who sell old LP's for a few Baht, don't realize the fortune they are sitting on (sometimes).