Petchabun Residents And Bangkok Bank Savings Accounts.

phutoie2

This cautionary tale could apply to all ex-pats but as I reside in Petchabun Province its mainly for those who hold a fixed savings account (Orange Book) with Bangkok Bank. I hold two savings accounts with Bangkok Bank, one the normal savings account (Blue Book) with BE 1st Debit Card and the other the fixed savings account, which I always use for the 800k in the Bank for your annual retirement extension.

So last week in Prachin Buri province I was in a large Bangkok Bank in Kabin Buri and decided to make a withdrawal form the fixed savings account, presented the withdrawal slip plus my Passbook & Passport to cashier.

Much discussion between Bank personnel and then a English speaking employee of BKB informs me that , "Sorry- can only withdraw at your branch where your account is"

So went outside and called my Petchabun branch and that indeed is the case, after 4 years with Bangkok Bank I never knew that.

I had run down my everyday use savings account to a low amount and needed to top it up from my fixed account. My wife is from Prachin and we are building a small holiday home on her Mums Farm, so needed the cash for building materials etc.

Anyway lesson learn t, go anywhere in LOS make sure you can access your money - easily.

I was being charged when I took baht out of my Chiang Mai SCB account here in Petchabuhn to the tune of 360 each time which I considered a bloody cheek so decided to open a new account by tranferring funds across for which I was off course charged. I then tried to top up the new account with a transfer of US$ from my Chiang Mai account but was told cannot touch it, only in Chiang Mai. Fortunately found this little gem out long before my baht account bottomed out.

Live and learn I believe.