40" Lcd Tv -what Is The Latest Recommendations

astral

I am looking to buy a 40-42" LCD TV, (possibly Plasma?)

There seem to be a confusing array of models available.

After seeing a side by side demo, I came away with the impression that the Sony Bravia give the most vivid images.

My viewing is direct from satellite, not UBC/True

and my budget is $1200.

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

That looks like about 40k Baht.

At the moment Power Buy has all sorts of specials running, and there is even the odd special at Tesco. I was in Siam Paragon yesterday and I saw there was a 32 Inch unit, I think from Sanyo with Full HD for 13,000 so based on that you could buy 3 of them, maybe one for the Lounge, one for the bedroom and one for the outdoor entertainment area.

There are also some large format TV's 40 - 42 inch LCD HD Ready for less than the money you are talking about. I also saw a 50 Inch LG Plasma for that sort of money also.

Its a nice place to be having that amount of money with the specials at the moment.

Samsung LCD 40" selling at Makro for 31,990B.

LG 42" LCD selling at Tesco - 27,990B.

Picture quality?

IMO Samsung, Philips, LG are infront of Sony who is far infront of the JVC's, Sanyo's, no namers etc. Easy tocheck - go into a Power Buy store where thay have them all lined up next to each other playing the same movie....

I have narrowed it down to Sony W series or the Samsung Series 6,

both offer 100Hz imaging. :D

I would like to have Plasma, but the sub 50" units are only 720

and the 50" units are power hungry and heavy 37-40kg.

I would not touch Toshiba or JVC.

IHMO both have lousy SW for expanding a 4:3 image to the widescreen

resulting in very disturbing distortion in the outer inches of the screen

especially on pan shots......... :)

The problem is feeding a UBC source isnt always easy in shop, and the different models have very different image quality on that.

I ended up with a phillips (as much on budget as image) but Samsung also had good UBC images.. My mate spent a lot more on a Sony, and it looks great on a DVD but awful with UBC, so much so he got a second LCD for his living room and shifted the Sony into a bedroom.

So try to see it with a UBC source however hard that can be.

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't matter, buy a cheap one. Crap in, crap out. Unless you watch predominantly from DVD, in which case use the internet to check the Home Theatre magazines. I've just been in the US and my mate has some Samsung Plasma's which are pretty bloody good, I must say. Mind you, the broadcast quality in the US seems to have improved massively too. Programs are still sh*t though!

The problem is feeding a UBC source isnt always easy in shop, and the different models have very different image quality on that.

I ended up with a phillips (as much on budget as image) but Samsung also had good UBC images.. My mate spent a lot more on a Sony, and it looks great on a DVD but awful with UBC, so much so he got a second LCD for his living room and shifted the Sony into a bedroom.

So try to see it with a UBC source however hard that can be.

you nailed it , its all about the quality of the source, bought mine 42" 28,000bht neighbor 70,00bht 50 inch , same fuzzy lines on ubc

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a 42" Panasonic Viera, nice picture, Full HDMI (use it for the PC as well). I think 32,000 Bht or so.

Also have a 32" Sharp Aquos, which is nice as well, with good sound out of the box.

I think brands are not so important, but I would put Panasonic, Samsung at first.

I ended up buying the 40" Samsung Series 6.

Very please with it.

How much did you buy it for and where, if you don't mind me asking?

It was $1500 here in the Middle East.

Sorry I know that is not much help to you. :)

• 1 year later...

On a recent trip to Bangkok I saw a LA32C530F1R Samsung TV with BBC from the local cable/satellite service. 4:3 format.

It impressed me because of the way it handled 4:3 in a mode that fills the wide screen. Basically, the majority of the screen is not distorted. Only the outer edges are stretched to fill the screen. This is nice, because it means I don't have to letter box the standard format, avoiding burn-in, and I don't have to put up with fat faces, etc. I found the manual on-line, but there is no mention of this feature.

Currently I use a standard CRT with UBC/Cable and a DVR. The TV is dying, so I'm looking for an LCD 40" to enjoy downloaded movies, etc., while still watching my regular TV programs and movies.

Now this issue seems like the elephant in the room to me (how to view an old common format on a new display), but there seems to be very little support or understanding of this. Very few folks here are even discussing it.

I did a search on the Internet, and instead of finding info about the Samsung, I found the following about LG:

http://www.exposeknowledge.com/reviews/5258-lg-w1943c-185-lcd-monitor-3-year-warranty.aspx

Wide(ARC) Function

Enjoy original 4:3 images with LG Wide Monitor!

With 4:3 in Wide(ARC) Function, No more distorted image!

Now, that's what I want to see in the Samsung!

I've looked at downloaded PDF manuals, but I can't see how to make this feature work on any LG or Samsung TV. Based on other features, I'd like to get one of these Samsungs:

LA40C530

LA40C550J1R

But the folks at the stores have little clue of what I'm trying to do with 4:3.

Does anyone here in the Thai-visa (TV -ha ha) community understand my problem? Can you recommend a good LCD choice?

I'm thinking about just fixing my old CRT at this point and waiting till Thailand is more wide screen-ready.

Edited by Upcountry

I recently purchased a full HD (with HDMI) 46' Sony LCD 100 hz TV for B40,000 at Numchai in Pattaya. Great picture and fabulous color. If you care about quality and reliability steer away from aything Korean (LG, Samsung and Sanyo). I also wouldn't touch Phillips, and certainly not in Thailand. The price is falling pretty quickly on LED TVs, and in about 1 year they will be where the LCDs are now. You might want to consider going cheap for now -- a 32' for around B13,000 (there are plenty in that range including Sony, and HD isn't very important for TVs that size) -- and getting a larger LED TV in about a year when the prices on them come down to the LCD level (of course, the LCD TVs will likely be a lot cheaper then than they are now) -- technology is great!

Use plasma only if you go to 50" and more . They do use a lot of power . LED is nr 1 but is mighty ecpensive . LCD is a very nice in between and is by far the best choice . Brands , As mentioned , Samsung and Panasonic are nr 1 and 2 with Philips as alternative .

To improve picture qualtity , use better cables and connectors . Standard ones are good if your signal is good enough but most times it is not . A bit better cabletypes are available just about everywhere in Thailand and are not overexpensive ( actually strange because it is easier to find higher quality cables in Thailand then in Europe ) . A possible problem for pic quality is the power which in Thailand it might fluctuate quite a lot , especially in the remote villages . Only thing i might i think might help is the contact box with somekind of filter inside or .. and i am not sure at all about this is a UPS . I think it has somekind of filter inside also and does protect from powersurges which might break your expensive tv . If you have 1 , you might try it ... i'm qurious .

• 4 weeks later...

Powerbuy is having a big sale right now. Everything is marked down. A 46" LED Series 6200 is now 40k Baht.

The samsung seems to be a pretty good buy, anyone got one and what is it like. interested in how good the allshare feature works.

thanks

Powerbuy is having a big sale right now. Everything is marked down. A 46" LED Series 6200 is now 40k Baht.

The samsung seems to be a pretty good buy, anyone got one and what is it like. interested in how good the allshare feature works.

thanks

I have two samsungs (although neither are LED backlit). One 42 inch plasma in the living room and a 32 inch lcd in the master bedroom. IMO, the plasma is much better for view True Visions.

And no I would not pay a premium for a Bravia.

I recently purchased a full HD (with HDMI) 46' Sony LCD 100 hz TV for B40,000 at Numchai in Pattaya. Great picture and fabulous color. If you care about quality and reliability steer away from aything Korean (LG, Samsung and Sanyo). I also wouldn't touch Phillips, and certainly not in Thailand. The price is falling pretty quickly on LED TVs, and in about 1 year they will be where the LCDs are now. You might want to consider going cheap for now -- a 32' for around B13,000 (there are plenty in that range including Sony, and HD isn't very important for TVs that size) -- and getting a larger LED TV in about a year when the prices on them come down to the LCD level (of course, the LCD TVs will likely be a lot cheaper then than they are now) -- technology is great!

Guess you got a bit of ripped of.Samsung 46" Full Hd Lcd are currently 25.900 Baht at Makro,32 inches can be bought everywhere way under 10.000 Baht.By the way the panel for the Sony bravia is produced by ...........................Who produces Sony lcd screens

Edited by janverbeem