Crackdown On Illegal Taxis Begins At Suvarnabhumi Airport Friday

george

Illegal taxi's?

What are they?

I always walk outside to the public taxi rank and get a ticket for a metered taxi - no meter - no ride.

I always ignore the countless offers for taxi's inside the airport.

These public taxi's cant be illegal as there's a notice inside the airport pointing them out? Which are the illegal ones?

I guess this wont be an issue when the rail link opens (when is that by the way? - not soon enough as far as I'm concerned)

The taxi meter, the one's you join the queue and pay the 50 baht surcharge, and the airport limo the ones with all desks inside the airport are the legal ones. Everything else is illigal.

And for everyone complaining about the 50 baht surcharge, I don't belive the taxi drivers get that. I think they have to pay 50 baht to join the taxi queue. If you read the paper that you get before getting in the taxi, it has the taxis details and a complaint form you can fill out if the taxi tries to scam you in any way. All you have to do is mail it.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Crackdown on illegal taxis begins at Suvarnabhumi Airport Friday

BANGKOK: -- Illegal taxis at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi International Airport will be targeted in a crackdown by the authorities from Friday, according to Deputy Director of the Department of Land Transport Chairat Sanguansue.

Speaking in his capacity of chairman of the sub-committee to regulate public transport at Suvarnabhumi, Mr. Chairat said intensified crackdowns on unauthorised taxis will start Friday July 31.

Notices have been issued and posted at the airport and a public relations campaign has been initiated to warn offenders, he said.

Meanwhile, police officers and security guards patrolling airport premises on Thursday began warning unlicensed tour guides before beginning to arresting those who are unlicensed from August 9.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-07-30

I would rather see who's the 'Big Man' or "The Explanation" behind the absolutely useless habit of the police, as well as airport security personnel, restricting any (taxi or others) drop-offs on departure to only the first (no 1) or last (No 8) gates (marking doorways) for the various airlines listed on the outside drop off road at that level, rendering 2/3rds of the drop off road inaccessible, slowing down the process, leaving taxis and passengers sometimes stranded 2 -3 lanes out, among moving vehicles, far from the footpath or where the trolleys are lined up, still waiting at each and every drop-off point though you can't get to most of them.

As some one whose regular airline weekly is right in the middle (drop-off points nos.4-5 are convenient to my flights), this is a continuing and needlessly frustrating R..R.P in the A!

Security is not the reason, as inside when reported (every time!!) the airlines staff just shrug their heads, and seek no rationalisation (so they know the truth perhaps?) though it is their passengers who are getting inconvenienced , and Suv seems just like it is to most of us still - a poorlly administered, unnecessarily chaotic den of pointless priveleged carved up points of power where someone , not the public, or the Thai reputation, is being served. Thank God at least the runways seem to work at last! :)

This has me worried.

Whenever I come to BKK Airport, I make arrangements in advance with a man called Mr. Toom, where he or one of his drivers picks me up. It's always worked like clockwork for me and lots of other people and it's a good price too - 1200 baht to Pattaya.

You meet the driver at door number 3 where he waits with your name on a board.

Does this mean Mr. Toom will be banned? Anyone know? I somehow doubt that he has any official accreditation.

Meanwhile, I'll email him and ask him myself. If he has anything useful to say about it, I'll let you know.

in reference to the so-called legal and illegal taxi

legal taxi--authorized by govt or airports to service general public. usually those are yellowish taxi. most do have meters installed, even though some do not use it.... lol. they also usually have yellow license plates (?).

illegal taxi--mostly are privately owned autos, not authorized by govt or airports to service general public. almost all do not have meters. they usually come in various colors just like privately owned autos. most have WHITE private auto license plates.

if i am not mistaken.... lol

Edited by nakachalet

Now I understand why everytime I walk out, I get at least 3 assh*les following me saying, Taxi Pattaya sir, taxi Pattaya!

Its because of all you d*cks who keep comparing how much you are paying to go to that vile place! There are other places to go in this country. So many people complaining about Thais treating you like crap. Its your own fault. If you go to Pattaya you are low class filth. It that simple. Even taxi touts know this.

Its especially insulting when I am with my wife and they ask this. I just want to pick them up and throw them down to the base level from Departures.

Just one time I turned arounf and shout: Mai Ao! Pattaya pen kee! The guy was so surpised he did not what to do.

Now I understand why everytime I walk out, I get at least 3 assh*les following me saying, Taxi Pattaya sir, taxi Pattaya!

Its because of all you d*cks who keep comparing how much you are paying to go to that vile place! There are other places to go in this country. So many people complaining about Thais treating you like crap. Its your own fault. If you go to Pattaya you are low class filth. It that simple. Even taxi touts know this.

Its especially insulting when I am with my wife and they ask this. I just want to pick them up and throw them down to the base level from Departures.

Just one time I turned arounf and shout: Mai Ao! Pattaya pen kee! The guy was so surpised he did not what to do.

Don't shout these remarks too loud - wouldn't want the truth to surface. Certainly couldn't have that....

This makes it even worse for regular tourists as they won't have a chance to escape the overpriced organized taxis anymore. I found the so-called "illegal" Taxis generally best value, as long as they understand you know the real price and know that there is a meter they have to use. :-)

Of course, for the first- and one timers, the "crackdown" might be an advantage - but then TIT and who knows.

Most probably, within 2-3 weeks from now, everything will be 'same same but different' anyway.

I don't know what's the problem. There is a FREE Shuttle Bus from the Airport to the Bus Terminal. I use this many times when i'm arrived and saved a lot of money.

"Let him who is without sin, throw the first stone."

I love judgmental ppl. A place you find shit maybe is heaven to others. Some guys find love on the internet, others in Pattaya.

Btw, I wonder why ppl never ask me to go Pattaya? I guess Im not looking like low class filth then .. :)

BANGKOK: -- Illegal taxis at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi International Airport will be targeted in a crackdown by the authorities from Friday, according to Deputy Director of the Department of Land Transport Chairat Sanguansue.

Speaking in his capacity of chairman of the sub-committee to regulate public transport at Suvarnabhumi, Mr. Chairat said intensified crackdowns on unauthorised taxis will start Friday July 31.

Notices have been issued and posted at the airport and a public relations campaign has been initiated to warn offenders, he said.

Meanwhile, police officers and security guards patrolling airport premises on Thursday began warning unlicensed tour guides before beginning to arresting those who are unlicensed from August 9.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-07-30

They should also post on signs with BIG letters warning people to stay away from anybody who approaches them about taxi rides, tours and hotels.

And they should urge travelers to report the offenders who should be cited on the spot.

Illegal taxi's?

What are they?

I always walk outside to the public taxi rank and get a ticket for a metered taxi - no meter - no ride.

I always ignore the countless offers for taxi's inside the airport.

These public taxi's cant be illegal as there's a notice inside the airport pointing them out? Which are the illegal ones?

I guess this wont be an issue when the rail link opens (when is that by the way? - not soon enough as far as I'm concerned)

IS HE TALKING ABOUT THE ONES DOWNSTAIRS??? :)

I have never taken a taxi from the airport, With the exception of pre 1972 always picked up by private car.

Having said that i have found this thread to be a very good read and i do feel for the people that are hasseled.

What I would really like to see at the airport right now are some trolleys. I came in a flight on 21 July and there was scarcely a trolley in sight. Pity the aged tourists with heavy bags or families with young kids. When I asked one of the attendants about the whereabouts of all the trolleys I was met with a shrug of the shoulders and a stupid grin. In an almost new airport this makes my blood boil that something as simple as a trolley to carry your bags is unavailable. There, I've got that off my chest, I feel a lot better.

That must depend on the time of day you arrive, possibly the terminal. On both our int'l arrival and departure last month we were able to easily locate trolleys, albeit beat-up, squeaky old ones. Same for a domestic round trip in between.

At least in BKK they're free. When we arrived in JFK/NY they charged $5 for a trolley we used for about 5 minutes.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-07-30

It is not (only) the illegal taxis who scam the tourists. The legal taxis and the official counter where you get the official ticket are scam. Every time they try to scam me different.....

Correct, flew in on the 1st of May this year and wasn't really bothered in shopping around for a taxi.

Took the first and the 'best' I met and that was AoT Limousine service in the luggage claim section.

I 'bought' a taxi-ticket from Swampy to Amata Nakorn for THB 1,500, a bit overprised, but what the heck.

After I passed the customs there was another AoT boot and one of them took me out with my luggage.

The guy there checked my voucher and started to yell to the guy who came with me outside: THB 1500 no good, THB 2000 is the price. Anyway, they discussed and phoned back and forth for about 10 minutes until I said (with a read headed face): "I want my money back and I want it now!!!!" They forced me to start calling for a BiB and after my first attempt of catching a BiB's attention, they saw that I wasn't bluffing (in fact I was) and they called for the cab.

1,500 THB "A BIT OVERPRICED!?!?!" 300 THB to Bangkok Center is good, 450 THB is a bit overpriced.

1,500 THB is rape without a condom!!!

PLEASE PEOPLE SPREAD THE WORD...THESE GUYS ARE HERE BECAUSE YOU LET THEM GET AWAY WITH CHARGING THESE PRICES!!! :)

Thanks for the advice. One can always wait for the shuttle bus then take the 40 baht van to Victory Monument, the hub for the Bts and buses. Always travel in this manner from Malaysia upon arrival at Swampy. Cheap and fast.

AoT is just the 'organized' version of what has been going on for years.... now the goodfellas have taken over.

The layout of the new airport is almost 3.5 kilometers to the nearest main road. Pack light and you might be able to take a bus to where you need to go... or at least to the nearest main road.

I WONDER HOW LONG BEFORE THEY BUILD THE MRT or BTS THROUGH TO HERE?

I've attached the Airport's Transport Options for you to look at.

Maybe the buses work better for you.

I just wonder - What does an "illegal taxi" look like? :D Does anyone know if the cars used by the private airport taxi services we use to go to the airport from Pattaya would be considered as "illegal"?

Been here 9 years and yep - haven't figured out what an 'illegal' taxi looks like but why only Suvarnabhumi? What - they are no where else in Thailand? But as a co-ordinator of international business picking up clients in Toyota Hi Ace VIP Vans, I get stopped all the time so this is not new. Never found out what I didn't do right and have always been told to go. Maybe that is because we used Photoshop and 'created' an appropriate A4 and laminated it and stuck it inside in full view with an official stamp. It duck hunting season again... :)

and what about the tuk-tuk mafia in Phuket! Can they go on with their overpriced system of 200 THB starting price no matter how close you want to go or is this perhaps "legal" since only farangs are using them?

Why the so-called-legal airport-taxis at Phuket can charge you 700 THB instead of a normal 250 THB for a drive to Patong beach? Which VIP or Bonze is this tuk-tuk-mafia feeding in Phuket that nobody distrubs them (for sure not the men in brown) and that they can go on undisturbed cheating farangs and ripping-off tourists?

And the ones in generally every Island, Samui is terrible, paying 300THB to go down the road is a disgrace, it might a higher cost of living there but thats just ridiculous.

It has changed alot since when I first arrived here last June. Now they have to stay behind the fence and don't get up in your face, so thats good.

First couple of times I went to the airport though I did use these dodgy taxis and paid 500baht instead of 300baht.

When I first started coming to Thailand I would just go to a taxi and ask how much and would usually pay around 500Baht. Then I discovered the meter. Since then my average taxi fare is around 250 Baht to the other airport or downtown. I think this is a great bargain compared to the states. So what is an illegal taxi? I was overcharged due to my own ignorance. At the time I thought 500 was a fair price. I've been to Suvi 3 times the last 4 months and have never been hassled. Just ask for a meter taxi and no problem. This sounds like some kind of publicity stunt to make tourists think they are not being scammed. Is anyone's arm really being twisted to make them pay more than the regular fares?

Yeah, this is a funny one. Myself and many more on their first visit to Thailand are thinking, im notgonna get ripped off, and before they know it, me included, get stung within 2 minutes of walking out the airport. Metre taxis everytime, i'd rather pay that bit more and have some kind of insurance cover. Mind you, some of those guys thnk its a race to get you there quick. Im sure after a few visits evryone realises that its always more expensive in the scammer taxis at the airport.

I have been to many countries all over the world, but never experienced such a mess in Transportation from the airportS like in Thailand. It is a rip off tourist or everybody with a white nose who cant speak Thai.

TaxiMeters on Phuket Airport NEVER switch on their meter, instead one have to pay 5-600 Bht for a trip on the island.

The whole THAI Transportation is working on teamoney....what do you think why there is still no railway to Phuket? or why there are no

"normal" TAXIs like EVERYWHERE in the civilised world.

Sometimes I belive I am living in Central Africa 100 years ago........

Came through the international airport terminal on Tuesday night and it looked like the cleanup had already happened. Only hotel transfer reps and tours allowed inside the terminal, and no one hassling you outside. The odd hopeful cry of "taxi?" from behind the road barriers on the other side of the road, but otherwise it was quiet as a church..

(Had to double check it was Bangkok I had landed in!)

That's because they announced this "crack down" days ago, and they are announcing it again in case any of the "illegal" taxi's weren't aware, and for the PR value of course.

Other than in Thailand, I have never heard of this practice of warning the folks you plan to try to catch BEFORE a crackdown. Normally the announcement is made AFTER the bust. Standard operating procedure fro Thailand really. Pure madness.

Quote;

Other than in Thailand, I have never heard of this practice of warning the folks you plan to try to catch BEFORE a crackdown.

You’re talking rubbish.

This practice has been operating in London, England for years.

Mini cabs and private car touts were warned off by the police and since than, the black cabs have had the monopoly at Heathrow airport.

Tourists are charged exorbitant fares for travelling into London and most of these black cabs refuse to take passengers on shorter journeys, leaving them only the options of travelling by bus or asking a friend to pick them up.

I will not use any Taxi in Thailand without a meter, i have learned from past experience. I used one in July this year to get to the Airport, from Samut Sakon, 500baht , I gave him a 300baht tip because he was honest , My wife asked at the airport , She wanted a taxi with a meter, back to Samut Sakon ,They said yes no problem , When she got in and the taxi driver started the journey he refused to put the meter on , And started to bad mouth her, So my Thai wife started to phone her Uncle, a Thai police officer, In Bangkok, To cut along story short he put the meter on and it only came to 400 baht because he had started to travel ,Maybe it was because she is Thai and a female, that he tried it on,So not only do they try to steel money of falang the also try it with Thais, I also use the old airport Don muwang ,I think thats how you spell it , The same thing there, and they will tell you we don't use the meter ,I just say no thanks and walk 50 yards to the street and get one off the street that will use the meter and i tip well if he is good because honesty gets rewarded from me,