Crackdown On Illegal Taxis Begins At Suvarnabhumi Airport Friday

george

Came through the international airport terminal on Tuesday night and it looked like the cleanup had already happened. Only hotel transfer reps and tours allowed inside the terminal, and no one hassling you outside. The odd hopeful cry of "taxi?" from behind the road barriers on the other side of the road, but otherwise it was quiet as a church..

(Had to double check it was Bangkok I had landed in!)

That's because they announced this "crack down" days ago, and they are announcing it again in case any of the "illegal" taxi's weren't aware, and for the PR value of course.

Other than in Thailand, I have never heard of this practice of warning the folks you plan to try to catch BEFORE a crackdown. Normally the announcement is made AFTER the bust. Standard operating procedure fro Thailand really. Pure madness.

Quote;

Other than in Thailand, I have never heard of this practice of warning the folks you plan to try to catch BEFORE a crackdown.

You're talking rubbish.

This practice has been operating in London, England for years.

Mini cabs and private car touts were warned off by the police and since than, the black cabs have had the monopoly at Heathrow airport.

Tourists are charged exorbitant fares for travelling into London and most of these black cabs refuse to take passengers on shorter journeys, leaving them only the options of travelling by bus or asking a friend to pick them up.

Yeah it got worse last time I was at Paddington I had to wait for 4 other passengers going to roughly the same area as myself. Taxi dropped them all off first before I reached my destination. More like a thai minivan than a black cab. Cost was £3 cheaper than travelling alone. There was no choice.

It wasn't even april 1st.

Edited by smokie36

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now I understand why everytime I walk out, I get at least 3 assh*les following me saying, Taxi Pattaya sir, taxi Pattaya!

Its because of all you d*cks who keep comparing how much you are paying to go to that vile place! There are other places to go in this country. So many people complaining about Thais treating you like crap. Its your own fault. If you go to Pattaya you are low class filth. It that simple. Even taxi touts know this.

Its especially insulting when I am with my wife and they ask this. I just want to pick them up and throw them down to the base level from Departures.

Just one time I turned arounf and shout: Mai Ao! Pattaya pen kee! The guy was so surpised he did not what to do.

"Let him who is without sin, throw the first stone."

I love judgmental ppl. A place you find shit maybe is heaven to others. Some guys find love on the internet, others in Pattaya.

Btw, I wonder why ppl never ask me to go Pattaya? I guess Im not looking like low class filth then .. :)

Maybe you look like a woman??? :D

This has me worried.

Whenever I come to BKK Airport, I make arrangements in advance with a man called Mr. Toom, where he or one of his drivers picks me up. It's always worked like clockwork for me and lots of other people and it's a good price too - 1200 baht to Pattaya.

You meet the driver at door number 3 where he waits with your name on a board.

Does this mean Mr. Toom will be banned? Anyone know? I somehow doubt that he has any official accreditation.

Meanwhile, I'll email him and ask him myself. If he has anything useful to say about it, I'll let you know.

I think you will be ok, as he will have parked the vehicle in the short term car park just opposite the dep/arrival area. So not really a normal taxi service.

Crackdown on illegal taxis begins at Suvarnabhumi Airport Friday

BANGKOK: -- Illegal taxis at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi International Airport will be targeted in a crackdown by the authorities from Friday, according to Deputy Director of the Department of Land Transport Chairat Sanguansue.

Speaking in his capacity of chairman of the sub-committee to regulate public transport at Suvarnabhumi, Mr. Chairat said intensified crackdowns on unauthorised taxis will start Friday July 31.

Notices have been issued and posted at the airport and a public relations campaign has been initiated to warn offenders, he said.

Meanwhile, police officers and security guards patrolling airport premises on Thursday began warning unlicensed tour guides before beginning to arresting those who are unlicensed from August 9.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-07-30

Is this a reprint of what they were supposed to be doing a few months after the new airport opened? Maybe now they are just getting around to thinking about it againLOL man oh man Thailand LOL LOL LOL

Now I understand why everytime I walk out, I get at least 3 assh*les following me saying, Taxi Pattaya sir, taxi Pattaya!

Its because of all you d*cks who keep comparing how much you are paying to go to that vile place! There are other places to go in this country. So many people complaining about Thais treating you like crap. Its your own fault. If you go to Pattaya you are low class filth. It that simple. Even taxi touts know this.

Its especially insulting when I am with my wife and they ask this. I just want to pick them up and throw them down to the base level from Departures.

Just one time I turned arounf and shout: Mai Ao! Pattaya pen kee! The guy was so surpised he did not what to do.

"Let him who is without sin, throw the first stone." Go back to Jesus camp, buddy.

I love judgmental ppl. A place you find shit maybe is heaven to others. Some guys find love on the internet, others in Pattaya. Find love in Pattaya? Don't make me laugh. Don't tell you did. You did, didn't you? Tell me, how much do you send in sponsor money?

Btw, I wonder why ppl never ask me to go Pattaya? I guess Im not looking like low class filth then .. :)They ask everyone. You probably look too poor to afford it.

FYI, I don't wear a football shirt, have a shaven head or have tattoos all over. Nor am I over 50, nor a gut and look desparate.

Its those stupid touts, if only they would get rid of them.

But back ontopic, I have usually gone on the meter, except the first time I came. Still, 300baht from DM to KSR for 2 people isn't bad. Thats what you pay on the meter now.

I'm not a great fan of Pattaya, but in my opinion you are a real low class guy and if your wife is impressed by your ranting (which I doubt) then she is just as bad. These touts may be a pain in the ass, but I for one never feel the need to insult them. Sorry mate but you are probably beneath the people you are slagging off for going to Pattaya. Now run along and crawl under your 5 star rock.

Btw I'd love to see you talk like that to the taxi drivers in Phuket. Don't think you'd last long matey :)

Hello, the taxi from the desk outside the building is a good value as it compares to other big cities around the world. Something I learned a long time ago was to say something that sounds like a cat to any one in Thailand that tries to sell something - no meow, and that will make them give it up and move on to another farang. Cheers.

When I first started coming to Thailand I would just go to a taxi and ask how much and would usually pay around 500Baht. Then I discovered the meter. Since then my average taxi fare is around 250 Baht to the other airport or downtown. I think this is a great bargain compared to the states. So what is an illegal taxi? I was overcharged due to my own ignorance. At the time I thought 500 was a fair price. I've been to Suvi 3 times the last 4 months and have never been hassled. Just ask for a meter taxi and no problem. This sounds like some kind of publicity stunt to make tourists think they are not being scammed. Is anyone's arm really being twisted to make them pay more than the regular fares?

I get my bag, I go to the public taxi stand ask for a ticket. I get a taxi with meter on and go to my condo. I have never had a problem. :)

Came through the international airport terminal on Tuesday night and it looked like the cleanup had already happened. Only hotel transfer reps and tours allowed inside the terminal, and no one hassling you outside. The odd hopeful cry of "taxi?" from behind the road barriers on the other side of the road, but otherwise it was quiet as a church..

(Had to double check it was Bangkok I had landed in!)

If I'm not mistakened I thought I had read the clampdown was starting on July 28th.....It looks like it did!!!!

scamming since the opening but they still only give warning for another 2 weeks to scam tourists and start their bad experience right for the start...

i guess it is tea money again... saw those nice man in brown stop motorcycles and other people... about 2 times per month around pay day, strange, isn't it...

LOS (Lack of Sanctions) is just mind boggling. Sorry, I don't understand what would prompt the ?????"authorities" to WARN criminals that soonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn the "law" LOLOLLOL will be enforced. ?????????? But as most of us know talk is much different than action. And this culture is noted for talk- which may not be honest/sincere/factual. :)

scamming since the opening but they still only give warning for another 2 weeks to scam tourists and start their bad experience right for the start...

The corruption and graft regarding this boondoggle goes much farther back than the grand opening. Perhaps when it became a reality on paper, some 15 years ago. White Elephant from the get go....and the mock opening which was then quite embarrassing to the country.

The shoplift scam is in my opinion much a worse case to worry... but it doesn't seem to bother the authorities. Even the PM had an explanation to this scam!

:)

Isn't the shop associate with the shoplifting scam owned by Toxic's "x" wife? ??? Maybe that is an answer to your question.

Isn't the shop associate with the shoplifting scam owned by Toxic's "x" wife? ??? Maybe that is an answer to your question.

This shouldn't surprise anyone as T-Square was smack dab in the middle of all the initial accusations of corruption concerning the whole property.

ALSO HELPFUL LINK: http://www.1stopbangkok.com/getting_here/airport/

...you might occassionally encounter a dishonest driver (if so record his publicly displayed taxi number and threaten to report him to the tourist police). You can avoid this by spending 900 baht on the AOT’s highly profitable limo service, but we discourage it out of principle.[/b]

REALLY? I did just that and was told by the "tourist police" to call and complain to the taxi company :-) What an adventure eh?

A little bit of Thai language goes a long way. Usually "mai ow krap" and they get out of your face and look for a better target, usually someone who looks like they live under a damp rock (what we aussies call a pommie suntan).

Come to think of it, Britain is a damp rock. :):D:D

Good idea to warn them, that is if they can (or any of their friend can ) read English. It's a wonder how people get caught here with all these advanced warnings....

Curious.......

Sorry for my slow thinking. I believe I understand now. The rich and powerful really don't want to "catch" criminals. Just think, if these crooks were processed/jailed etc., an inquiry LOL well an honest inquiry (not to be found here) might reveal that much "higher ups" are facilitating thievery/scams/etc.

When I first started coming to Thailand I would just go to a taxi and ask how much and would usually pay around 500Baht. Then I discovered the meter. Since then my average taxi fare is around 250 Baht to the other airport or downtown. I think this is a great bargain compared to the states. So what is an illegal taxi? I was overcharged due to my own ignorance. At the time I thought 500 was a fair price. I've been to Suvi 3 times the last 4 months and have never been hassled. Just ask for a meter taxi and no problem. This sounds like some kind of publicity stunt to make tourists think they are not being scammed. Is anyone's arm really being twisted to make them pay more than the regular fares?

I love your answer and wisdom. ( awesome ) Your point is well taken. At the same time, I fear for the tourists who do not know the way around and then got robbed by the Bad Taxies. One time can damage the tourists at the Suvi...Airport. These survivals will post his and her bad experinces on the net and Opp ...power of media....there goes the headline about tourists' horrow stories in Suvi Bangkok airport. Meanwhile, the good taxies will loose his or her income due to the bad publicity. ( who is going to help them feed their families ) The Thai Authority needs to be firm and crack down. ( No more tea party ) I am trying to look into a broad picture and hope you see my POV. My personal opinion and I stand tall.

Correct, flew in on the 1st of May this year and wasn't really bothered in shopping around for a taxi.

Took the first and the 'best' I met and that was AoT Limousine service in the luggage claim section.

I 'bought' a taxi-ticket from Swampy to Amata Nakorn for THB 1,500, a bit overprised, but what the heck.

After I passed the customs there was another AoT boot and one of them took me out with my luggage.

The guy there checked my voucher and started to yell to the guy who came with me outside: THB 1500 no good, THB 2000 is the price. Anyway, they discussed and phoned back and forth for about 10 minutes until I said (with a read headed face): "I want my money back and I want it now!!!!" They forced me to start calling for a BiB and after my first attempt of catching a BiB's attention, they saw that I wasn't bluffing (in fact I was) and they called for the cab.

1,500 THB "A BIT OVERPRICED!?!?!" 300 THB to Bangkok Center is good, 450 THB is a bit overpriced.

1,500 THB is rape without a condom!!!

PLEASE PEOPLE SPREAD THE WORD...THESE GUYS ARE HERE BECAUSE YOU LET THEM GET AWAY WITH CHARGING THESE PRICES!!! :)

Would everyone who has no idea where Amata is and is yelling in ALL CAPS please raise yor hand? :D

in reference to the so-called legal and illegal taxi

legal taxi--authorized by govt or airports to service general public. usually those are yellowish taxi. most do have meters installed, even though some do not use it.... lol. they also usually have yellow license plates (?).

illegal taxi--mostly are privately owned autos, not authorized by govt or airports to service general public. almost all do not have meters. they usually come in various colors just like privately owned autos. most have WHITE private auto license plates.

if i am not mistaken.... lol

Yes, you are mistaken. Most people posting on this board do not (understandably) realize what this "crackdown" is really about...

Nakachalet is essentially correct in stating that licensed taxis have yellow plates and private autos have white plates. There are also green plate cars ("livery"), which are licensed to act as private limousines. Private autos are not legally allowed to transfer passengers for hire at the airport, or anywhere for that matter. But eliminating "non-licensed" taxis from operating is not the primary point of this "crackdown"...

Licensed taxis and livery vehicles are required by the AOT to have an additional permit in order to pick up passengers at the airport. There is a monthly fee each taxi has to pay for this permit. Probably 75% of the properly licensed, metered taxis in Bangkok do not have this permit. This means that when they get a fare from the city to the airport, they are not allowed to wait in the queue for a return fare. They must return empty. There are numerous fines levied on these "non-permitted" licensed taxis for parking or stopping. They can pay a small bribe to be allowed into the queue.

This airport "permitting" really serves no purpose other than providing another revenue stream for the powers-that-be. There is no additional security check or other safety measure taken when a taxi driver applies for this permit, as they are already licensed taxis. The primary purpose of this "crackdown" is to get more licensed taxis to pay this fee. Those that do not pay for this permit will be subjected to even more abuse of power and be fined for any miniscule infraction until they finally knuckle under and pay the monthly fee.

The net effect of this will actually be detrimental to passengers. Taxis without the airport permit will be more likely to refuse fares to the airport, as they know they must return empty and also run a higher risk of being fined while on the airport premises. And at least some of the taxis that do pay for the permit will be more tempted to come up with creative ways to overcharge their passengers in order to make up for this addtional expense.

As usual (in Thailand and elsewhere), it all comes down to money...

Don't think for a second that the cops are going to do crack down...they do that just for image, the cops are the ones who are behind all this crap, the cabs have to pay the cops so that they can pick up tourist at the airport. that's why the farangs are charged . exp. taxi charge farang 600 thb, taxi give cop 200 thb.

they work together.

the thai national police needs to get in there and take out all the dirty shid.

coruption in thailand is stinkin bad, and the problem is that you cant trust the authorities in thailand.

it's sad, for such a beautifull kingdom.

thai's don't know it yet once they have lost it all... and i am thai.

What is "illegal" about those taxies?? They got car, licence, meter, driver....they are fully legal just across the airport's borders. <deleted> they call'em "illegal"? Someone point me to the difference with a "legal" ones (except the prices&fares of course...) ? :)

Just another fun @ the Land of No Logic... Enjoy the show, pals.

Andrew Biggs (Bangkok Post Guru mag) says the golden rule is avoid taxis parked in queues, they are the scammers. The honest guys are the ones on the move. Get out of that!
What I would really like to see at the airport right now are some trolleys. I came in a flight on 21 July and there was scarcely a trolley in sight. Pity the aged tourists with heavy bags or families with young kids. When I asked one of the attendants about the whereabouts of all the trolleys I was met with a shrug of the shoulders and a stupid grin. In an almost new airport this makes my blood boil that something as simple as a trolley to carry your bags is unavailable. There, I've got that off my chest, I feel a lot better.
The trolley story is here.
Tried to check this but was warned off King Power's site by Google who said it was an attack site.

BANGKOK: -- Illegal taxis at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi International Airport will be targeted in a crackdown by the authorities from Friday, according to Deputy Director of the Department of Land Transport Chairat Sanguansue.

Speaking in his capacity of chairman of the sub-committee to regulate public transport at Suvarnabhumi, Mr. Chairat said intensified crackdowns on unauthorised taxis will start Friday July 31.

Notices have been issued and posted at the airport and a public relations campaign has been initiated to warn offenders, he said.

Meanwhile, police officers and security guards patrolling airport premises on Thursday began warning unlicensed tour guides before beginning to arresting those who are unlicensed from August 9.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-07-30

Ha ha what about the LEGAL limo/taxi service operating inside? They make every person arriving feel that they are the only option and are actually 'taxis'. Can you imagine how people feel once they have paid their 1,000 baht at an 'official' airport limo/taxi service to find out they could just have easily walked outside and caught a public cab. This more than anything leaves a bad taste in the mouth of new arrivals. It also seems that these official touts have further access many times over to new arrivals than anyone else. Ever counted how many times you are asked for a 'taxi' by these guys from when you pick up your bag to when you finally fight your way to the Public Taxi? Talk about a monopoly!

700 THB for a 35-40 minute taxi ride is actauly great value

Take that long a taxi ride in London New York or Toronto and see how much it costs

By the way, with no tourists going to phuket, price is down to 450

The point is that we are in THAILAND not in new york or toronto ... a taxi ride from swampy to center bangkok should cost no more than 250-300 baht PERIOD !

when will you guys realize that comparing prices with your home countries is vain and totally off !

Maybe they think you look like a fiddler so they assume you want to go to Pattaya - Thais treat me well but maybe that's because I am not a bigoted prick :)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-07-30

After several trips through the Airport and using the Legal taxis I still cannot explain how a 350THB trip costs 500 THB. The distance is the same and it only depends on which way you are going. Are the Legal Airport Taxis able to recalibrate to a different rate?? I don't think so.

It is not the 50 THB fee paid at Arrivals which bothers me; it is the concentration of tampered meters by the Legal Taxis which gets me started. I use the Departure platform also and I am sure this is why there is going to be a crackdown. There is a "Nai" somewhere on the Arrivals not gettting his cut.

When the Skytrain arrives at the Airport I will have taken my last Taxi from the Airport under the current program. Somm naam naa